Did Ya'll know there are Self Driving Robot Trucks on the Road in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mseaglecook

Senior Cook
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/03/31/autonomous-semi-truck-jobs-regulation/

I had no idea until a couple of days ago. Robot trucks. I am shocked. I don't think it is going to work out too well but we will see. Only in America...

2.jpg

I don't know about robot trucks, but all the Amazon delivery trucks in my suburb are the electric ones, made by Rivian (owned by Jeff "Taxes? I don't pay no stinking taxes" Bezos).

CD

It'll all come to an end when there's one too many people killed, which is inevitable. imo
I don't think it is going to work either. In one article I read they had above average number of collisions. I can not even imagine the Insurance rates those companies will have to face. I think this is about on par with drones delivering our packages. Looks good on paper but not in the real world.

Yeah for electric trucks

I am a Hertz five star gold customer, and they rented me a Polestar (Volvo) EV a few months ago for the price of a put-put car. Loved it, as far as driving -- it was like a rocket from 0-60. PITA to charge, even in Houston, the 4th largest city in the US. If I had to commute from the burbs to downtown Dallas and back every day, I'd definitely buy one, and run a 220V line to let it charge overnight in my garage. But that's really all they are good for.

CD

I think we’ll be fine once all vehicles are driverless but it could get complicated for a few years.

I’m interested in commercial airlines switching to drone technology with the ‘pilot’ on the ground monitoring several planes during landing and takeoff but allowing them to fly unattended on autopilot for most of the journey.

I don't think it is going to work either. In one article I read they had above average number of collisions. I can not even imagine the Insurance rates those companies will have to face. I think this is about on par with drones delivering our packages. Looks good on paper but not in the real world.
Who knows really but I'm skeptical. In a busy city there's a lot of nuance between drivers with eye contact and hand motions that can make a difference, especially at intersections, or, swerving to miss a small animal, a racoon for example then taking out 4 people at a bus stop.

I think we’ll be fine once all vehicles are driverless but it could get complicated for a few years.

I’m interested in commercial airlines switching to drone technology with the ‘pilot’ on the ground monitoring several planes during landing and takeoff but allowing them to fly unattended on autopilot for most of the journey.

Driverless cars are a bad idea, and pilotless airlines are an even worse Idea.

I watch a YouTube channel called 74Gear, which is hosted by a 747 captain. He will tell you how good modern airliners are at flying themselves, but also tell you the honest truth about when the proverbial s*** hits the fan, only a well trained human can keep all those passengers alive.

As I make this post, I had to go back and read it before posting, to see what autocorrect decided I meant to say, which will mean I will have to un-correct at least two out of every twenty words.

Another point supporting my opinion would be the Boeing 737MAX. Two of them flew themselves into the ground, killing everyone on board, because they took control of the aircraft, and wouldn't let the pilots fly the planes.

Here is a 74Gear video, which clearly illustrates why a human pilot is necessary...

As for driverless cars, they should be required to have big, bold lettering on them "DRVERLESS." That way, I can pull into a parking lot when I see one, and wait for it to pass -- and even then, the d*** thing might jump the curb and run me over.

EDIT: I have no idea why the youTube video is "age-restricted." I can assure you that it is G-Rated.

CD

Last edited:
@caseydog ,

It’s ok to disagree with me, most people do. 😉🤭😂

The thing that I really like about driverless little bubble cars is the elimination of bad behavior by human drivers.

I doubt I’ll see it in my lifetime, Americans invest so much of themselves in the type of vehicle they choose and the way they drive that change may come slowly.

I also think that the introduction of selfdriving little bubble cars will be the beginning of the end of private ownership of vehicles for millions of Americans.

@caseydog ,

It’s ok to disagree with me, most people do. 😉🤭😂

The thing that I really like about driverless little bubble cars is the elimination of bad behavior by human drivers.

I doubt I’ll see it in my lifetime, Americans invest so much of themselves in the type of vehicle they choose and the way they drive that change may come slowly.

I also think that the introduction of selfdriving little bubble cars will be the beginning of the end of private ownership of vehicles for millions of Americans.

I'm cool with you disagreeing with me, too. (y)

I am a car enthusiast, and made my living off of cars for the last 20 years. So I am obviously biased. I have driven cars on race tracks at very high speeds -- 167 MPH is my current fastest speed, in a car capable of about 220 MPH.

That changes a person in a way you can't unchange. There is no way I would ride in a car going that fast being driven by a computer, even using the best of the best Artificial Intelligence software. Why? Because computers can not experience fear. I've met a lot of racers, and they all tell me this. When you drive that fast for more than five minutes, and then slow down, your eyes are dry. Why, because you haven't blinked even once in that five minutes.

I can't explain this concept in a way that people understand. Please watch this video of 24 Hours of Lemans champion Alan McNish -- he puts it all into perspective. You will probably need to watch it multiple times -- I've watched it at least 20 times, and I still learn something new every time I watch it. Pay particular attention to the speeds he is talking about. I will bet you 1,000 bucks that there is not computer driven car that can do what he's doing in this video.

How does this apply to ordinary people driving to work every day? If I am diving my car down a road, and kid on a bicycle darts out between two park cars, I will drive my car into another car, I'll drive it into a brick wall, or a tree. I will total my car and injure myself if that will prevent me from running over that kid on the bike. Computers are not capable of making that kind of decision.

CD

Last edited:
I'm cool with you disagreeing with me, too. (y)

I am a car enthusiast, and made my living off of cars for the last 20 years. So I am obviously biased. I have driven cars on race tracks at very high speeds -- 167 MPH is my current fastest speed, in a car capable of about 220 MPH.

That changes a person in a way you can't unchange. There is no way I would ride in a car going that fast being driven by a computer, even using the best of the best Artificial Intelligence software. Why? Because computers can not experience fear. I've met a lot of racers, and they all tell me this. When you drive that fast for more than five minutes, and then slow down, your eyes are dry. Why, because you haven't blinked even once in that five minutes.

I can't explain this concept in a way that people understand. Please watch this video of 24 Hours of Lemans champion Alan McNish -- he puts it all into perspective. You will probably need to watch it multiple times -- I've watched it at least 20 times, and I still learn something new every time I watch it. Pay particular attention to the speeds he is talking about. I will bet you 1,000 bucks that there is not computer driven car that can do what he's doing in this video.

How does this apply to ordinary people driving to work every day? If I am diving my car down a road, and kid on a bicycle darts out between two park cars, I will drive my car into another car, I'll drive it into a brick wall, or a tree. I will total my car and injure myself if that will prevent me from running over that kid on the bike. Computers are not capable of making that kind of decision.

CD
Computers will make whatever decisions they're programmed to make.

Writer Isaac Asimov, who wrote a lot of books and stories about robots, established these rules for robots: "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

Even if self-driving cars were safe, they would be safer with all traffic in self-driving cars. That is a terrifying concept to me. The idea that it wouldn't be possible to drive a car that couldn't have it's controls taken over by a third party scares the bejeebus out of me.

Computers will make whatever decisions they're programmed to make.

Writer Isaac Asimov, who wrote a lot of books and stories about robots, established these rules for robots: "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

Isaac Asimov was primarily a science fiction writer. He died many years ago. In my mind, his thoughts about robots are virtually irrelevant in 2024.

If a robot accidentally kills someone, will it experience guilt? Will it loose sleep thinking about the person who died? If I accidentally killed someone, even if it was not my fault, and there was no possible way for me to avoid the accident, I'd have nightmares about it.

CD

Last edited:
If a robot accidentally kills someone, will it experience guilt? Will it loose sleep thinking about the person who died? If I accidentally killed someone, even if it was not my fault, and there was no possible way for me to avoid the accident, I'd have nightmares about it.
A close friend of my parents had been in that sort of accident. He tried not to hit the four year old girl who rushed into traffic from between two parked cars. The friend smashed his car into other parked cars, but it wasn't enough to stop his car before it hit the little girl. He was just too close when she popped out from between cars. I was told that he had recurring nightmares about that, even forty years later.

The other issue about Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, is that whoever programmed the robots, would have to program that in. Possibly it could be programmed into a Read Only chip, so the various programmers wouldn't have to do it. But, I see absolutely no evidence that anyone is doing anything of the kind. If no one somehow programs those Three Laws into every single robot, then the laws are totally irrelevant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom