Dinner Time, Thursday 21st February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They both sound delicious Laurie :yum:
Thanks, Kylie, they were. I didn't even make a dent in my lasagna as I am still not feeling like eating much and it was all not on our allergy diets, but after the news we got today (our dog has cancer) we just felt like doing whatever.

tonight was chinese takeout. singapore mei fun, and "lobster" chow mein.

the chow mein was good but kinda odd. when i asked the lady at the chinese place, vivienne, if it was real or imitation lobster, she said imitation. i ordered it anyway just to give it a try. as we often do we started chatting about things on their menu. i asked her if they ever get real lobster because i'd love to order lobster cantonese, and they apparently only get it when they are cheap soft shell kind,kind in late spring.
as she handed me my order, she corrected herself and said that the lobster i was getting tonight wasn't the alaskan pollack imitation type, but rather crawfish tails. it struck me as strange as to why they wouldn't just sell it as crawfish chow mein, or crawfish fried rice, or whatever. that would be fairly unique and certainly stand out from the hundreds of other chinese restaurants in the area.

in the end, or should i say tail, it was very good. i'll have to try their "lobster" again in other dishes soon.

Last edited:
As a rule, I don't Knowlingly order things on menus that are "imitation". Hard to say what ends up on my plate that I don't know about. I am so gullible.

Eye of newt and other delicacies not withstanding.

I did question a server at brunch once about their crab-cake eggs benedict. The menu price was so unbelievably below market, She said at these prices, what do you think. I said I think I will order...fried eggs and regular toast. The thought of an "english muffin" even sounded scary. Not to mention the " maple syurp" on "Real" buttermilk pancake that particular day. On any other occasion I might not question a stack of 'cakes if they look good, nor the maply syrup poured on top.

At the Chinese take-out, I don't venture much beyond shrimp dishes and please don't tell me pork isn't pork. I Have beans in my ears LOL.

Oh, I did work as a kitchen boy at a Chinese restaurant way back in high school. Winter melon was just that, lobster was Real and chickens were hacked up. But let me tell you, they used everything incl the chix tails.

Back
Top Bottom