Discuss Cooking's Virtual Bed and Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
~running up the stairs and tapping jkath on the shoulder.~
what's up? i jsut finished buying my love some food. the jerk.
i'd love a steak! are they ribeyes? filets?
i'll make some baked purple potatoes to go along with them.
i can't have any dessert (chocolate, ya know?) so i'll just have some of this angel food cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

*pulling out tape and putting into VCR* *dimming lights* I just happen to have a video on peanuts! :rolleyes: ROLL FILM!!!

Synonymous with baseball games, circus elephants, cocktail snacks and, of course, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, the hardy, buttery and nutty taste of peanuts are ever popular in the American culture. Raw, roasted, shelled or unshelled, all forms of peanuts are available throughout the year. Contrary to what their name implies, peanuts are not true nuts but a member of a family of legumes related to peas, lentils, chickpeas and other beans. Peanuts start growing as a ground flower that due to its heavy weight bends towards the ground and eventually burrows underground where the peanut actually matures. The veined brown shell or pod of the peanut contains two or three peanut kernels. Each oval-shaped kernel or seed is comprised of two off-white lobes that are covered by a brownish-red skin.

Peanuts Rival Fruit as a Source of Antioxidants

Not only do peanuts contain oleic acid, the healthful fat found in olive oil, but new research shows these tasty legumes are also as rich in antioxidants as many fruits.

While unable to boast an antioxidant content that can compare with the fruits highest in antioxidants, such as pomegranate, roasted peanuts do rival the antioxidant content of blackberries and strawberries, and are far richer in antioxidants than apples, carrots or beets. Research conducted by a team of University of Florida scientists, published in the May 2005 issue of the journal Food Chemistry, shows that peanuts contain high concentrations of antioxidant polyphenols, primarily a compound called p-coumaric acid, and that roasting can increase peanuts' p-coumaric acid levels, boosting their overall antioxidant content by as much as 22%. Plus, in recent years, researchers at University of Florida and several other universities have bred new peanut varieties with higher levels of oleic acid—the monounsaturated fat responsible for many of olive oil's health-promoting effects. Called SunOleic peanuts, these cultivars, which contain 80% oleic acid and only 2-3% linoleic acid, not only provide the health benefits associated with this monounsaturated fat, but remain fresh 3 to 15 times longer than regular peanuts, and are also much lower in saturated fat.

History

Peanuts originated in South America where they have existed for thousands of years. They played an important role in the diet of the Aztecs and other Native Indians in South America and Mexico.

The Spanish and Portuguese explorers who found peanuts growing in the New World brought them on their voyages to Africa. They flourished in many African countries and were incorporated into local traditional food cultures. Since they were revered as a sacred food, they were placed aboard African boats traveling to North America during the beginning of the slave trade, which is how they were first introduced into this region.

In the 19th century, peanuts experienced a great gain in popularity thanks to the efforts of two specific people. The first was George Washington Carver, who not only suggested that farmers plant peanuts to replace their cotton fields that were destroyed by the boll weevil following the Civil War, but also invented more than 300 uses for this legume. At the end of the 19th century, a physician practicing in St. Louis, Missouri, created a ground up paste made from peanuts and prescribed this nutritious high protein, low carbohydrate food to his patients. While he may not have actually “invented” peanut butter since peanut paste had probably used by many cultures for centuries, his new discovery quickly caught on and became, and still remains, a very popular food. Today, the leading commercial producers of peanuts are India, China, Nigeria, Indonesia and the United States.

See!!! :chef:

yep, peanuts are legumes, not nuts. i learned that in first grade from a substitute teacher. she had a moustache. she needed a wax job! uck!:LOL:
they're really good for you. i eat natural peanut butter all the time because it's so good for you.

I guess I will clean the jacuzzi and feed the animals.
39.gif
I'll be back in a bit. *grabbing different animal food*

um, sush, i know we already have like 2 million pets, but can i bring my pet hamster, patches, to the cafe?
there isn't anywhere to put his cage in my room anymore, not since i got my printer/copier/fax machine...
my Dad is getting ticked cause i had to put him in the dining room.
i'm gonna fix myself a cucumber, sprout and cream cheese sandwich. anyone want one?

i'm back from wisconsin !! i went to minnesota too. i HAD to go to the international wolf center. here's what it looks like

Tour the Center

098-0273_center.jpg

here's lakota whom i fell in love with

they wouldn't let me bring her back grrrr. in fact they wouldn't let me bring ANY of them back. isn't that mean ???. i'll have to post the pics i took in wisconsin tomorrow sometime. this time i promise i will.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
*running through garden.....* Arrrghhhhh!!!!! :eek: *screaming like little girl*

lol, big belly laugh!
my chicken showed you! her name is lilly. i'm gonna have jkath tint her feathers pink with aqua blue tips tomorrow. i'm getting the donkey dyed red.

Woooooooo HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :mrgreen: Its going to be a feather duster tomorrow!! :mad:

*zooming back to rear of Cafe* Good job Middie! Ok.... once we stop, RUN and I'll shut and lock the door behind us. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom