Do you use the terms bake and roast interchangeably?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do have slightly different meanings, however they are similar in that they both usually involve putting something in the oven and letting the oven do the work. Therefore many people use the terms interchangeably.

Since there is a common understanding that both involve putting a pan in the oven for a while, we all understand what we are talking about if someone mixes up the words. You will rarely hear any correction or criticism about it. (There are always exceptions to this)

They do have slightly different meanings, however they are similar in that they both usually involve putting something in the oven and letting the oven do the work. Therefore many people use the terms interchangeably.

Since there is a common understanding that both involve putting a pan in the oven for a while, we all understand what we are talking about if someone mixes up the words. You will rarely hear any correction or criticism about it. (There are always exceptions to this)
I guess the exception is me.

Baked a cake, yes. Roasted a cake, no.
Baked cookies, yes. Roasted cookies, no.
Roasted a turkey, yes, Baked a turkey-maybe.
Roasted root vegetables, yes. Baked root vegetables-maybe.
Baked a meatloaf, yes. Roasted a meatloaf-might mean something different.
Baked lasagna, yes. Roasted lasagna, probably not.

Try it for yourself. You might come up with different answers.

If you cook a whole chicken, it is conventionally called a roast chicken. If you cook a chicken cut up into pieces; drums, thighs, breasts, it's often called baked chicken. The usage is confusing and it stems from the origin of the word.

Roasting used to refer to cooking meats on a spit over an open fire. Big chunks of beef, whole turkeys, chickens, swans, etc. The term carried over to modern appliances. So, in general, meats are roasted and breads, pies, cakes, etc are baked.

And just to complicate matters further, if you cook an entire chicken using heat from above, is it still called broiling?

Well, my brother's oven has (among others) 2 icons for setting the convection temperature. One says Convection Bake, the other says Convection Roast.

Go figure....

Poor Google, at my brother's again, extremely entertaining - I only wish I could remember the exact wording, but poor Google got so mixed up with her answers that we were hysterical, tears were streaming down our faces.
We were asking for the various GI vs GL of figs, pomegranate juice, craisins and raisins, mushrooms - along with the potassium dosages. Even we were getting mixed up.
My SIL is diabetic, hence the questions.
Very entertaining.

I guess the exception is me.
No. That wasn't aimed at you. There is always someone somewhere on the internet who will jump in and correct people's usage. Maybe they feel insecure. Maybe they just like to show off their 'superior' knowledge. Whatever. They are the ones I was referring to when I said "there are always exceptions"

My oven and my air fryer have roast and bake settings along with a multitude of other settings I may never use. I have found with the air fryer if you use the roast setting it heats from the bottom and the top to give a nice brown result. While bake only heats from the bottom.
I have used roast in the oven and it seems to do the same thing.
So if I roast a chicken for example in either I get a much more crispy browned result. If I use bake it does not come out this way. It seems bake takes longer as well.
So while I would have agreed with most above previously, I do not now. Roast and bake are 2 totally different as far as oven and air fryer.
Today when making any meats in the oven its setting is on roast. The roast setting gives me a much better result. But I must be careful as longer cooking items may over brown on the roast setting.

I would say "roast" is used for meats, while "bake" is for cakes, cookies, pies (not just sweet ones, also savory ones like steak pies) and leavened doughs, like pizzas, bread, brioche and other pastries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom