Do you wash your celery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, because the excess starch makes a mess and if you didn't wash the peels, there was dirt on them which would/does transfer onto the patates.

Just for everyone's information, organic milk lasts longer than conventional because it's ultra-pasteurized.

Still tastes better than regular milk, IMHO, so I'm okay with the ultra pasteurization. I drink 2% organic milk, and it tastes close to regular whole milk, to me.

But for things like lettuce and bell peppers, I can't taste any difference.

CD

My point is more "do you know which ones will die? do you which ones will not? Are you will to take the chance?"

My understanding, and I could have this wrong, is that some bacteria create toxins that survive cooking. It's not the bacteria itself that gets you, it is those toxins.

CD

Do you wash an orange after you peel it? Onion? etc.

If I peeled them and saw dirt, I would. When I separate celery into individual stalks, I usually see dirt. Dirt doesn't taste good, IMO. The texture of dirt is not something I enjoy, either.

CD

If I peeled them and saw dirt, I would. When I separate celery into individual stalks, I usually see dirt. Dirt doesn't taste good, IMO. The texture of dirt is not something I enjoy, either.

CD
All I said was I didn't wash potatoes if I was going to peel them.

Still tastes better than regular milk, IMHO, so I'm okay with the ultra pasteurization. I drink 2% organic milk, and it tastes close to regular whole milk, to me.
When we bought milk from a dairy farm store, we thought that each variety of milk tasted like the next-higher butterfat version. Skim had flavor, so it seemed like 1%, 1% had the mouthfeel of 2%, etc. Good stuff.

Then they had to shut down their own processing plant because "someone" claimed that their family member developed listeria poisoning from drinking milk produced by that dairy farm. That elderly person ended up dying. No one else ever got sick from any dairy product, but the farm would have been required to replace all of their equipment before they were certified again. Inspectors never found signs of listeria in the old equipment or any other products. I'm guessing someone in the family wanted to "off" their family member...:whistling Meanwhile, the dairy now has their raw milk blended with another dairy farm's milk and it just never tasted as good.

I was referring to celery, the subject of the thread. I wouldn't bother washing potatoes if I were going to peel them. However, I seldom peel potatoes. There's a lot of nutrition in the skins.

CD

Same here, but I do give them a rinse. I find that if I peel unwashed potatoes, that what should be nice clean naked potatoes is dirty naked potatoes. The rinse with a quick sloshing around is good enough that I don't end up with dirt on the peeled potatoes. Maybe the potatoes you buy are already washed. I notice a difference between different bags of potatoes in how much dirt is left on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom