Escargot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yankee00

Cook
This will be my first post since joining the group. I know not everyone is a fan of escargot, but it is something I have enjoyed having served to me in the past and I wanted to try my hand at recreating it. I am new and not sure about the rules, but I find a lot of inspiration on Youtube. I found Chef Ludo's recipe in a video there and then also found it on the Internet. https://www.ludolefebvre.com/recipes/escargot. I believe the snails and herb butter sauce turned out great and when I do it again, the only change I would make to the recipe is I will cut the salt by 1/2 teaspoon.
322488271_687513083089998_593295725810317109_n.jpg

Last edited:
his will be my first post since joining the group. I know not everyone is a fan of escargot, but it is something I have enjoyed having served to me in the past and I wanted to try my hand at recreating it. I am new and not sure about the rules, but I find a lot of inspiration on Youtube. I found Chef Ludo's recipe in a video there and then also found it on the Internet. https://www.ludolefebvre.com/recipes/escargot. I believe the snails and herb butter sauce turned out great and when I do it again, the only change I would make to the recipe is I will cut the salt by 1/2 teaspoon.
View attachment 67472
yeh thats a lottta salt for 8 oz butter.
seasoning is better if done to taste.

You can edit your own post for about 15 minutes after you post it. There is an "EDIT" button in the lower left corner of the post.

Just FYI, on my latest batch, after watching his YouTube video, he actually uses TWO sticks of butter. This helped a lot.
2 sticks is 8 oz but I agree that's probably too much salt. I suspect you used unsalted butter to start or was it salted. It's always a good practice to always salt to taste.

2 sticks is 8 oz but I agree that's probably too much salt. I suspect you used unsalted butter to start or was it salted. It's always a good practice to always salt to taste.
That is a GREAT question. I used Kerrygold brand butter, and the package actually doe not state "salted" or "unsalted"?

Welcome to DC. Love snails, make them at home all the time. :)
The cool thing for me was that everything I needed, I found on Amazon. The snail trays, the snail shells, the snails themselves.....this delicacy does not have to be expensive!

I believe that butter is salted by default and it is usually mentioned on the package if it is unsalted. You could always check the ingredient list.

The cool thing for me was that everything I needed, I found on Amazon. The snail trays, the snail shells, the snails themselves.....this delicacy does not have to be expensive!
For sure, snails in the shell are a show stopper for the price of chips lol. We make them 2 or 3 times a month.

LOL. My wife loves them, but our daughter is more of the "baguette as a butter transfer station" kinda gal, so I only get to make them on special occasions.

LOL. My wife loves them, but our daughter is more of the "baguette as a butter transfer station" kinda gal, so I only get to make them on special occasions.
Does she like mushrooms? Those would be delicious with that wonderful sauce you are making for the escargot.

BTW, have you ever had sea snails?

Does she like mushrooms? Those would be delicious with that wonderful sauce you are making for the escargot.

BTW, have you ever had sea snails?
She? As in our daughter? No. She is not a fan of mushrooms either. I actually have to make Chicken Ala King minus the mushrooms for her.

Ummmmm...what is a sea snail?

Please keep in mind that was a package of two sticks.
Ok, so 8 ounces of butter has a quarter of a gram (0.25) of salt. Generally I use unsalted butter for cooking so I have control over what I'm making but for your daughters baguette it's either salted or sprinkled with a good flaked sea salt like a maldon which I use regularly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom