Favorite Baked Potato Toppings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your favorite Baked Potato Toppings?

• Total voters
First, it has to be popped open correctly. I'm nothing if not a baked potato snob when it comes to the opening procedure. A small slit is made into the center of the spud, and then with both thumb and forefinger of each hand at opposite ends, gently squeeze, popping it open. It gives you a nice burst of potato atop the rest of the skin, keeping it warm and moist.

in truth, I don't give a hot patooty how you open your potato, I'm only a snob when it comes to mine:-p.

I like salt and lots of black pepper, a small pat of butter and some sour cream. I love chives but rarely have them around. I like to eat the skin, too.

Anyone else like to eat the skin?

I love eating the skin....to me it's about the best part....yum.....if I have leftover shells sometimes, 'cause I like to really stuff the shells with lottsa taters, ....I put a bit of butter and garlic in them, and pop them in the toaster oven to crisp up even more.....to die for!

VeraBlue said:
Anyone else like to eat the skin?
Not only do I like to eat the skin of my own potato, but I'll eat anyone else's who'll relinquish them intact! IMO, it's the best part.

Last edited:
I love roasted veggies on my baked potatoe. Cheese, sour cream, and butter are good, but I'm trying to eat healthy, so yes I do love those things, but I opt for veggies.

Just finished my stuffed baked spud with ranch dressing, s&p and aged Irish cheddar mixed in it with a NY strip, broiled to medium rare!! Even my cats were begging, not just the dogs!!

The skin is my favorite part as well - with a little butter, sour cream, and horseradish!!!!!! Think I will have one tonight.......

I love the skin too! I just wash the potatoes, dry them really well, then brush with oil and put them at 450 for an hour. Nice and crispy! I had mine with butter, sour cream, roasted chicken, green onions, monterey jack cheese and a lot of salsa.

My choices definitely depend on the role of the potato - lol!!!

If it's a side to a meal, then I prefer either just butter, salt, & pepper; or whatever sauce/gravy is accompanying the rest of the meal.

However, if the patootey is standing by itself as a lunch or light supper, than I really like it topped with chili, sour cream, cheese - the works.

jkath said:
hmmmmm... I can see it....just how many potatoes have you had tonight, sir?:LOL:

I kid you not, the bar for Bacon doesn`t show at all and 2 others with plenty votes only show a Tiny sliver of a bar.
the vote count shows, but that`s all???

as for quantity of potatoes consumed, that would be difficult to determine, as the mash gets distilled..... :rolleyes:

I to am a potato popper, and I do the oo and sal thing AND I cook mine on a metal skewer. I am very fussy about baked potato. I went through a phase of liking microwave potato because of the uneven cooking and the weird chewy crispy bit on the bottom. But I don't microwave now and oven ones are without a doubt the best! (unless there is a fire, but we don't have a bonfire often!)

Alix said:
jkath, I am LOLing. You marked every last option! You're goofy.
and your point?:LOL:

YT - maybe GB might know something about your settings on your "case of the missing bacon bar"....

i voted for everything.

i can eat them plain, or with each item listed individually, or in any combination including all of them!

all hail the baked spud!

did you know the potato was considered the driving force behind a large population explosion in europe in the middle of the last millennium.

shamalicious, i'm glad someone mentioned fish.

i love chopped anchovies, or wine and onion marinated pickled herring - with a splash of the brine, or even dried bonito shavings.

First, it has to be popped open correctly. I'm nothing if not a baked potato snob when it comes to the opening procedure. A small slit is made into the center of the spud, and then with both thumb and forefinger of each hand at opposite ends, gently squeeze, popping it open. It gives you a nice burst of potato atop the rest of the skin, keeping it warm and moist.
I do almost the same thing, but I make a bit longer slit.

First I scrub them, dry 'em, and rub them lightly with a bit of canola oil (stab em a few times to prevent a mess in the oven too). Then I bake them directly on the oven rack which crisps them all over.

I pop as above which kinda mashes the insides a bit and breaks up the potato. I make a pocket in the mash with a butter knife, and push a knob of softened compound butter in along with a sprinkle of kosher salt, and dash of finely ground white pepper. Then I push it closed, and give it 5min or so before re-popping and having at it!

For the compound butter, I like simple unsalted butter with finely minced flat leaf parsley and maybe a few minced chives.

Oh - If I'm having baked taters with roasted or sauteed meats, to me there is no better topping than some of the pan juices and a bit of the rendered fat. :)

Back
Top Bottom