Favorite Movies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So many to think of,

Magnificent Obsession
The Bishops Wife
The Little Princess
The Quiet Man
Goodbye Mr. Chips
To Kill a Mockingbird
Cape Fear
Key Largo
Goodfellas
The Godfather I and II

any Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan or Tarzan movie made in black and white

it just goes on and on.

All Time Favourite Film: Casablanca

:) Buon Giorno,

:yum: Firstly, my all time favourite classic film is Casablanca. This silver screen marvel, contains all the right ingredients: exemplary portrayals of role characterization, is a historical epic, a drama yet with a subtle note of ironic humor. The theme song, is marvelous ...

:) Secondly, moving to the XXI Millennium, Water For Elephants starring Reese Witherspoon ... This is an excellent account historically speaking of the Depression Years, and the horrendous abusive encounters of horrid people with a total lack of compassion and focused on cruelty to animals and women and all man kind. It was outstanding.

;) To Move On, to not so famous films nor Oscar Awarded or Foreign Films which have won Oscars representing their countries and Foreign Film Awards, outside of the USA, is a fabulous drama called: El Abuelo, The Grandfather, starring Fernándo Fernández Gómez, the Spencer Tracey of Spain ... This film focuses on the greed of daughter in laws, and the truth behind the births of his two grand-daughters, one of whom is not his blood and the inheritance issue.
It is filmed during the early 1900s in the rurals Spain.

:chef: Martín Sheen: The Santiago Walk or El Camino Santiago, is a true story about a man, 62 years of age, who is a widowed Eye Doctor in Los Angeles. He receives a phone call from the Navarra Pyrenee Mountain Police, to advise him that they had found the body of his 43 year old son.
Martín heads to Spain, and finds himself going through his son´s enormous back pack of Routes for the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, Galicia in the northwest of Spain. He decides to take the Walk ... He meets three companions all soul searching; one in mid life crisis, one writer with writer´s block and one divorcee with addictive habits. This is a must see.

At the moment, these impacting films are just a few very of my favorites.

I shall post again, some others I consider worthy of seeing.

Have a lovely Monday,
Ciao, Margaux. Cintrano. ;)

Last edited:
:) Secondly, moving to the XXI Millennium, Water For Elephants starring Reese Witherspoon ... This is an excellent account historically speaking of the Depression Years, and the horrendous abusive encounters of horrid people with a total lack of compassion and focused on cruelty to animals and women and all man kind. It was outstanding.

I haven't seen this one yet, I plan to buy it, thank you for the description.

Buon Giorno,

Enjoyables With Gastronomic and Wine Films ...

1. Sideways ... I too, enjoy films featuring gastronomy and wine themes.
2. Tapas ... Foreign Spanish Film ...
3. Eating Raul ... With Raul Julia ... a comedy ... a bit silly, however, fun.
4. What´s Cooking Martha ? This is the original German film, that was a remake romance comedy drama with Catherine Zeta Jones ...
5. Julia Julia with Meryl Streep ...

These are not great films, however, they are all highly enjoyable.

Have a nice Monday.
Margi. Ciao.

Blissful,

Water for Elephants should have won the Oscar 2011 ... It is an exemplary film about a young university gent who studied Veternarian medicine and a stunning woman ...

Will not tell you anymore ...

Some Kleenex maybe required ...

Ciao, Margi.

Buon Giorno, Blissful,

From my viewpoint, this is an exemplary and interesting post. To top it off, it has numerous members providing their views on films since time memorial and the reuniting on something we all enjoy ... or don´t enjoy ...

It is an avenue, to discuss a favorite art that has a tremendous impact on our lives, generally speaking and the stars of yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Thank you,
Grazie,
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Buon Giorno,

Some More Favourite Silver Screen Classics ...

1) The Phantom of the Opera - Douglas Fairbanks Jr. & Jeanette Mc Donald( the original ) ...

2) African Queen - H. Bogart and Katherine Hepburn

3) Yul Brynner and Debra Kerr in: The King and I ... ( original )

4) Key Largo - H. Bogart

5) Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal : The Fountain Head ( Anne Rice Book )

Kind regards.
Margi. Ciao.

Lorenzo's Oil--Story of two parents trying to help their son who is deteriorating due to a terrible genetic illness. Heart warming.
I want to buy this one when I see it.

Favorite movies and why:
Grapes of Wrath - so real and moving
Lawrence of Arabia - the desert, and where I learned to appreciate Omar Shariff
Dr. Zhivago - the vastness of Russia and ditto
A Christmas Story - Darren McGavin and good old Ralphie
The Gods Must Be Crazy - so innocent and funny
Run Silent Run Deep - WWII in a submarine with Clark Gable & Burt Lancaster
the Tracy & Hepburn comedies, so sharp and smart
Raising Arizona - Nicolas Cage with a panty on his head
Adaptation - Cage again with Charlie Kaufman's unique screenplay
Fargo - where I first saw the talented Frances McDormand
Gangs of New York - Daniel Day-Lewis's best IMO though he makes a handsome Mohican
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where I got to see Zaphod Beeblebrox's two heads
Time Bandits, great cast w/ Sean Connery as King Agamemnon, fantastical fun
Oklahoma - for the music
7 Brides for 7 Brothers - for the dancing and Howard Keel and Russ Tamblyn
Babe, where I learned to love James Cromwell's sheep farmer
LA Confidential, where I learned to dislike James Cromwell's policeman
Microcosmos - the insect world up very close and personal
7 Up/Plus 7, watching a group of British students evolve beginning at 7 yrs. old
Nanook of the North - unvarnished depiction of primitive lives

Foreign:
Jean de Florette, where I learned to love Gerard Depardieu, Daniel Auteuil, Yves Montand and the Force of Destiny score. I think this is my very favorite -- human nature at its best and worst.
Babette's Feast - so uplifting
Amelie - charm and sweetness with Audrey Tautou
Dreams - Akira Kurasawa - it's just beautiful
Fitzcarraldo - Klaus Kinski in an impossible South American saga; led me to other works of Werner Herzog

And an animated: Triplets of Belleville, where I learned how frogs and umbrellas go together, and French bicycle racing

Sorry the list is so long, but I love them all.

Thanks Tinlizzie--excellent list and why you like them!

My favorite out of yours is Fargo--I don't know why I like it so much, maybe the accents and I've been to Fargo.

How could I forget the Grapes of Wrath and the wonderful lines that all of the cast had. The one I remember most is this line from Ma Joad.

"Well, Pa, a woman can change better'n a man. A man lives sorta - well, in jerks. Baby's born or somebody dies, and that's a jerk. He gets a farm or loses it, and that's a jerk. With a woman, it's all in one flow, like a stream - little eddies and waterfalls - but the river, it goes right on. Woman looks at it thata way."

Fiona,

Oops ... Must have been the Risotto on my mind as I was on my way to the Italian Market ... Yes, Ayn Rand, one of my favorite authors of the 90s ...

The CD Version featuring the Voice Over work of Michael York, narrating Interview with a Vampire, is absolutely fascinating to listen to ...

Thank you for correcting my mishap.
Tuesday 11am
Ciao, Margi.

Thanks Tinlizzie--excellent list and why you like them!

My favorite out of yours is Fargo--I don't know why I like it so much, maybe the accents and I've been to Fargo.

And thank you for this thread. Overnight I've thought of more, of course, that didn't make the list, like Deliverance, North by Northwest, The Shining, The Thing (the original one), all the Python films, West Side Story, A Passage to India, Ghandi, Marx Brothers movies, Mel Brooks movies, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, My Fair Lady, 12 Angry Men......they just keep coming and are surely more fun to think on for a change than politics.

And thank you for this thread. Overnight I've thought of more, of course, that didn't make the list, like Deliverance, North by Northwest, The Shining, The Thing (the original one), all the Python films, West Side Story, A Passage to India, Ghandi, Marx Brothers movies, Mel Brooks movies, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, My Fair Lady, 12 Angry Men......they just keep coming and are surely more fun to think on for a change than politics.

I spend lots of time saying, "Oh yes, that's a favorite." Most fun I ever had at a job was ordering the stock for a video rental department.

What Dreams May Come--Robin Williams and more excellent stars. Very dark story, with very high points about love and family. I have seen this one 20 times, it's worth seeing.

Hereafter--The first amazing scene is a tsunami. If you could imagine being on a coast or a small island and without warning, you see the signs of the wave coming in, taking everything with it. The rest of the story is about glimpses of the afterlife, and charlatans, and the loss of those loved. It was touching and ended on a happy note.

Tatrat--where's your list, we await your contribution! :)

There are almost as many "Whys" as there are "Favorite Movies." In short, if the plot holds my interest for the duration, transports me to another place & time, makes me laugh/cry/think, performances, score/music (imo a film is nothing w/o the score/music - & Bernard Herrman is one of my faves), cinematography and/or sound (am I enveloped/surrounded in the pic & music?). Also, Choreography - i.e. Busby Berkely, Fred & Ginger, Gene Kelly & films like West Side Story get my vote. Mostly, I prefer the old B/W classics (Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc), but do enjoy certain films with special effects, Spielberg, & films like ET, Close Encounters, Poltergeist, King Kong. Most of the Hitchcock films are my faves, as well - particularly Vertigo -- suspense, score, acting. Rebecca is another favorite. Romance or romantic comedy - Dances w/ Wolves, Somewhere In Time, When Harry Met Sally, City of Angels, Annie Hall.

Last edited:
Another factor for me re best movies is film editing. Is the film choppy, did it flow? Film editors spend 9 years apprenticeship, & I think they deserve the big bucks. If the film doesn't flow, seems disjointed, goes from one scene to the next w/o cohersion - it doesn't "work" for me. Forrest Gump was an interesting film, but made it imo due to Tom Hanks' acting, the music of the period, coupled w/ a certain sense of naivity/sense of humor. Liked him much better in Castaways.

Strangers on a train is another fave. Could go on & on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom