Food Processors can't handle liquid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, Food Processors are used for chopping and processing food and Blenders are for blending liquids. I used to try just the opposite, of using a blender for processing some foods -- like the commercial of making guacamole by tossing avocados into a blender -- and it just does not work well.

or making grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster.....

And both the blender and food processor make lousy grilled cheese as well. Ya just can't win.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mav .. have you called KA? Cooks Illustrated rated your FP best and liquids was one of its strongsuits. See what they have to say, it's worth a shot!

If you're shopping for a blender, let me just say NOT to get the newer Oster Fusion, which is supposed to be the best of both worlds. It does not do a nice job as a FP, and only a mediocre job as a blender. And I would like my $60 back! But my daughters enjoy the "frozen beverage" button for smoothies, so maybe one of them can take it with them someday. It replaced a KA I'd earned thru PC about 10 years ago and it was the best blender ... but we plain wore it out. It too leaked!

And let me just say I do love my boat motor too, but still looking for ideas. I'd love to say I use it daily, but I don't!

Let me first say I appreciate all the advice I am receiving. I am planning on contacting KA to get more specific info. This was a large purchase for us, and we debated whether or not I really needed it or just a blender. I have a small kitchen so something that multitasks is important when space and money is at a premium.
My specific uses I wanted it for: Meringues, whipping eggs, chopping mincing dicing shredding food, pureeing soups, and juicing.
It does the meringue just fine, chopping and mincing ok I need more practise on it, dicing seems to be harder for me, shredding just fine, and it juiced great with the juicing attachement as long as you don't go over the inside lip where the attachements go which is about 4 cups.
But, it won't whip eggs without them getting all over the counter, or puree soups without that leaking all over. I only tried 4 cups of soup in it, it was too much apparently and went everywhere. The eggs were 4 egg whites and 4 whole eggs with 1/4 cream.. it went all over the place.
That doesn't seem like a lot of liquid to me? I also tried to make a banana smoothie in it with only two bananas and a couple of cups of milk and ice and it went all over as well.
That just doesn't sound right to me when it was rated so high for liquids in the reviews, but I double checked how I am using everything and I am doing it correctly.

So, for those that do use liquids in theirs, what is your capacity and how much are you running thru it at a time? IE mine is a 14 cup but apparently handles less than 4 cups liquid.

PS I looked at the Braun, looks like a good machine I was just hoping not to have to get a blender in addition to the food processor, so what exactly do you guys think I would benefit from that I can't get the food processor to do?
I only occasionally do smoothies, don't really do mixed drinks or frozen drinks outside of that and the fridge does crush ice for me. Would it end up being used primarily for pureeing soups and whipping eggs cause then maybe I would be better off getting that emmersion blender that can fit in a drawer?
I guess I am saying for those of you with a FP and blender, what are you using each for specifically?

I would go with the immersion blender instead of the regular blender in your case Mav. For what you want to do with it and your space constraints an immersion blender would be perfect.

And the immersion blender you guys are talking about is the long cylindrical one with the covered blades at the end of it? You just put it upright in the middle of the pan and turn it on?

That is nice Andy, is that a good price for these? Seems reasonable. Do they ever come with additional blades or they only need the one?
Sorry to be a pain, LOL. And thank you GB for the suggestions and help.

I have the Cuisinart hand blender, but I can't tell you a good retail price.

I picked up mine in a thrift store for a couple of bucks.

I have the Cuisinart hand blender, but I can't tell you a good retail price.

I picked up mine in a thrift store for a couple of bucks.

Do you mean a hand blender or immersion blender? Or are they the same and different from a hand mixer? A hand mixer I have, with standard mixer and dough mixer. Never used the dough mixer on it.

Hand blender/immersion blender are the same thing.

A hand mixer is that same old mixer that mom used and grandma to make cakes and stuff.

Hand blender/immersion blender are the same thing.

A hand mixer is that same old mixer that mom used and grandma to make cakes and stuff.

OK thanks, that is what I thought you meant and that a hand mixer is different from a hand blender.
The wife is out and about today, I may ask her to swing by the thrift store and see if they have some. If they do, I will limit her to a Cuisinart with a 200 motor and if not I will just have her write down the name and power and then research it.
Sounds like you guys like your Cuisinarts.

I don't know how many watts mine is. The writing is too small.

But my Cuisinart hand blender is called the Quick Prep.

I can't see like I used to. Sorry.

That is nice Andy, is that a good price for these? Seems reasonable. Do they ever come with additional blades or they only need the one?
That is a pretty good price. They range from around that price on up to around $60 or more. Some come with other things. Mine came with a whisk attachment and a little container for making dressing I think. I never use the container, but I do use the whisk.

You only need the one blade. They last forever. If you ever needed a new one you would probably just buy a whole new unit.

Cool, the whisk attachment would be nice to have, too!

Last questions, for now LOL, if I got this would I even need my hand mixer anymore? I barely use it as it is and would like the space for the immersion blender...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom