Foogath style green beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I made a side dish today of some fresh green beans and Thai red longbeans, using a Foogath method - a popular Goan way of cooking many vegetables, with some coconut and curry leaves, and various other seasonings. This works in reverse of most of these dishes, starting with the ingredients of the tarka, then the other ingredients added, as the dish progresses.
This one, and many others, add some soaked channa dal, for some texture, which finishes cooking with the veggies.

Green Bean Foogath

3 c fresh beans, cut in 1" pieces
1/2 c channa dal, washed and soaked 2-3 hrs.
1/4 c freshly grated coconut, or 3 tb dried, soaked in hot water at least an hr, and drained
2 tsp neutral oil
1 tsp black mustard seed
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp cumin seed
2 byadagi or kashmiri peppers, broken into pieces
2 Thai or jyoti peppers, broken into pieces
10 curry leaves
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 medium onion, chopped, about 3/4 c
2 tsp minced garlic
4 fresh green chilis, minced
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste, about 2 tsp kosher
2 tb chopped cilantro

A. Measure out all of the ingredients and have them ready. Heat a flat bottomed wok - what I like to use - over medium heat and add the oil. Add the mustard seeds, and when they begin to crackle, add the urad dal. I a few seconds, just after they begin to color, add the dried peppers, and swirl until the urad is golden, then add the curry leaves and asafoetida, and stir briefly, for about 10 seconds, then stir in the onions, which will quickly bring the temp down. Cook about 3-4 minutes, or until onions soften, then stir in the garlic and fresh peppers. Stir for 30 seconds longer, then add the beans and drained channa dal, along with the turmeric and salt, and mix well. Add 1/4 c water, and cover.

B. Cook 5 minutes over medium low heat, keeping a generous simmer. Stir in the drained coconut, and cook another 2 minutes, covered. Remove lid, and if any water is left, boil it off quickly. Stir in the cilantro, and serve.

Green beans and red beans, foogath style, before adding the coconut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished fresh beans foogath. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
That was delicious, and I wish I had the idea for the recipe before, too! I'm still getting 2 or 3 cups of beans per day.

I've used this method for okra, and some other veggies, too.

BTW, in the instructions I left the cumin out - supposed to add with the urad dal. By the time I realized it, it was to late to edit.

Back
Top Bottom