Friday night, April 7, 2023, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
medtran - I was just looking up before about Porcini and according to most things I read, Shiitaki's are the closest in taste to them. I wasn't quite sure what Porcini mushrooms were before now. LOL - Gotta love Dr. Google!
They are quite different than brown/crimini/portobello's. They have a big fat white stalk like King Oyster but the cap like the portobello's.

I just checked a number of the local grocery stores that deliver and I did actually find

Dried Porcini Mushrooms​

14 g
$5.99ea
  • $42.79/ 100g
Multiply the price by 3/4 to get the approximate value in USD.

I don't order from that store (Provigo) often, but I did put it in my cart, so it will be there the next time I order from them.

I am not sure about using porcinis. From what I have read, they have a stronger mushroom flavour and DH doesn't like mushrooms. I can get away with cooking something with large pieces of mushroom that he can pick out of his food and he still enjoys the meal.

Medtran, when I saw your description of your meal, it sounded like it would be really good with any old mushrooms. I'll bet it does, maybe not as good, and definitely not the same.

medtran - I was just looking up before about Porcini and according to most things I read, Shiitaki's are the closest in taste to them. I wasn't quite sure what Porcini mushrooms were before now. LOL - Gotta love Dr. Google!
They are quite different than brown/crimini/portobello's. They have a big fat white stalk like King Oyster but the cap like the portobello's.

Actually stalk is cream to light brown, and the cap, in fact the whole mushroom, is much denser than the brown/crimini/potabello.

Fresh shiitake and fresh porcini do not even remotely taste the same. They do have a slightly similar texture. I've had both. In fact, we had them 2 days apart, in the ramen bowl and in the pasta. I love mushrooms and always sneak bites while cooking.

Maybe they taste close if dried and reconstituted, but I've never thought about testing it.

Last edited:
I am not sure about using porcinis. From what I have read, they have a stronger mushroom flavour and DH doesn't like mushrooms.

Medtran, when I saw your description of your meal, it sounded like it would be really good with any old mushrooms. I'll bet it does, maybe not as good, and definitely not the same.

They do have a stronger flavor.

I actually came up with recipe because I found the porcinis in a recent freezer dive. I had forgotten about them and didn't want them to get freezer burn. Also trying to clean out freezers. Plus, the last time we had them was in risotto, which Craig is not all that fond of, but will happily eat pasta.

LOL - I have no idea in the difference of taste with them... it is just what I read on a mushroom site. LOL
I will definitely go with your opinion! I'd trust your taste buds far more than a strangers.

It looks like wild porcini grow in Quebec. I got some hints that it or its close relatives might. So, I went internet hunting. I found this,

The Boletes are a large group of mushrooms that have the classic toadstool shape but have pores rather than gills under the caps. They are related to each other, but some are only distantly related, and the taxonomy of the group is particularly confused and subject to frequent revision. The common names are often more consistant than the scientific names, as they are less subject to change. Quebec’s complement includes the King Bolete and the Larch Bolete.

King Boletes are an added layer of taxonomic confusion, as there are multiple species, and it’s not always clear which is which. They are choice edibles and, perhaps as a result, have a huge number of common names (king, cep, pennybun, porcini). The Larch Bolete (Suillus grevillei) can fruit abundantly, but are mediocre in taste
From this site: https://healing-mushrooms.net/quebec

Back
Top Bottom