Greek Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S.B. Deba

Assistant Cook
This recipe is from the original South Beach Diet book, page 137:
Phase 1, one serving:
8 leaves romaine lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces), 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded and sliced), 1 chopped tomato, 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup sliced red onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves.

GREEK PASTA SALAD

INGREDIENTS:

350 gr. of penne or any other pasta will do

2 cans of tuna fish in brine, drained

2 tomatoes sliced

3 fresh onions chopped

1 small onion sliced

1 cucumber seeded and cut on cubes

half lettuce, rinsed and chopped

1/2 cup feta cheese

1/2 cup black or green olives

plus:

3 tablespoons vinegar and 3 tablespoons of olive oil for the vinaigrette dressing

Cook the pasta as recommended by the manufacturer. Put all vegetables i a big bowl. Mix well. Add the pasta. Now take a small jar, put olive and vinegar inside. Close the jar and shake well until you get a white emulsion. Open the jar and rinse the vinaigrette over the salad. Mix well and then on top sprinkle mashed feta cheese.

We took a day trip to Tarpon Springs, FL and stopped for lunch at an "authentic" Greek restaurant. the Greek salad was served over potato salad. Has anyone ever heard of this? It was kind of strange.

img_1124828_0_15abb9b26d0ade3fad070ed240d58858.jpg

Oooooh! I like the anchovies. Nice touch. I usually get my salt kick from the feta, but this one gives me another reason to eat anchovies.
Me too!! LOL

Dressing - EVOO, flax seed oil, lemon juice, fresh minced garlic, fresh chopped herbs (oregano, basil & parsley), ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, dry oregano and ground red pepper flakes

omg, mofet! that's a thing of beauty. gotta have anchovies on a greek salad. so many diners in our area leave them out when you order one.

omg, mofet! that's a thing of beauty. gotta have anchovies on a greek salad. so many diners in our area leave them out when you order one.

And old fashioned Greek salad around here is just slices of tomato topped with slices of onion, thyme, olive oil, and a slice or two of feta with a kalamata olive or two on the side.

Thank you bucky. Yeah I know thats why I never order a greek salad out any more. Most of them ask what dressing you want also. No I DON'T want creamy Italian or caeser!! I want greek salad dressing and fish!! LOL

yer darn tootin'! a greek salad should only be dressed with wine vinegar and greek olive oil. maybe some garlic and herbs in there, but that's it.

This recipe is from the original South Beach Diet book, page 137:
Phase 1, one serving:
8 leaves romaine lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces), 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded and sliced), 1 chopped tomato, 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup sliced red onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves.

That sounds like a nice recipe for one.

Usually, during the Summer, I make a big batch of Greek/Mediterranean pasta salad with tri-color rotini (penne or tortellini), sliced cucumbers, chopped red onion, feta cheese, tomatoes (cherry, grape or sun-dried), kalamata olives. Very satisfying on a hot Summer's day.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

We took a day trip to Tarpon Springs, FL and stopped for lunch at an "authentic" Greek restaurant. the Greek salad was served over potato salad. Has anyone ever heard of this? It was kind of strange.
Considering there were no potatoes in Greece before about 500 years ago, serving over potato salad does not sound authentic/traditional to me, although I don't know what the commonly accepted time frame is for what constitutes traditional cuisine. Imagine Thai cuisine without chili peppers...

Sure! I'd get the anchovies in a minute! I'll sometimes even get a can of anchovies and eat them on crackers...

Last edited:
. . . Imagine Thai cuisine without chili peppers...

Chilies have been in Asia for a lot longer than 500 years though, if that's what you are implying. It's kind of funny, a lot of the peppers introduced to Thai cuisine later are not use by Thai people, and they stick to more indigenous/authentic peppers. A lot of the indigenous peppers have origins far west of Thailand, and have been traced to areas of Spain and Portugal, and spread by migrating birds.

Chilies have been in Asia for a lot longer than 500 years though, if that's what you are implying. It's kind of funny, a lot of the peppers introduced to Thai cuisine later are not use by Thai people, and they stick to more indigenous/authentic peppers. A lot of the indigenous peppers have origins far west of Thailand, and have been traced to areas of Spain and Portugal, and spread by migrating birds.

Are you sure chilis have been in Asia from before Columbus? If the indigenous Thai peppers came from Spain and Portugal via migrating birds, then are you saying that Spain and Portugal had chilies a lot longer than 500 years?

Let's not confuse Piperacea or Pimenta with Capsicum. Capsicum are native to the Americas and were not present in the Old World until after Columbus discovered the Americas (after many people discovered it before him) and began modern trade intercourse between the Old World and the New World. Birds didn't matter you-know-what, it took the power of commercial trade to bring New World Capsicum to Old World cuisines, including chili peppers, potatoes, corn and many other examples we've discussed on the forum time and again.

Thai cuisine is one of my strongest areas of cooking expertise and the peppers they use are Capsicum including my favorite Thai chili peppers. These peppers came from the Americas and were not present in Thai or Asian cooking before that time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom