Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok everyone, this is probably too easy, but where is this?

:) Barbara

Attachments

• Windmills 2.jpg
    Windmills 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Windmills.jpg
    Windmills.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 256
pdswife - that looks like the famous monestaries of greece... cant remember the exact name of the place though. It's on the tip of my tongue...!

urmaniac13 said:
img_238027_0_db4acaad742e5a0fbf4e028cd6cf05fb.jpg

So far college cook has come the closest... it is very close to Swiss border... another hint --- it is a world famous attractions for cycling/motorcycling enthusiasts...
(Z, I haven't seen all the 007flicks... however it may be possible that this place was used... it will make a great chase scene...:-p )

This is in fact Stelvio Pass (Swiss side) which is connected to Umbrail Pass (Italian side)
The Stelvio Pass

(9042 ft. / 2760 m)

line.gif

Open: Late June to mid-October. Maximum gradient: 1 in 9.
"The Stelvio is not in itself an essential through-route, but it is one of the most magnificent mountain passes to be driven by experienced drivers for its own sake. Till 1936, when the Iseran was opened (*), the highest motorable pass in Europe, it has only surrendered that honor by a matter of 46 ft, and is incomparably finer from the scenic angle: indeed, many consider it scenically the finest of all the Alpine passes. The road itself is also a marvel of engineering skill, the huge rises on both sides being overcome by some fifty hairpin bends on either approach, the 48 on the north side between the summit and Trafoi being probably the finest continuous hairpin sector in the Alps.
"On the southern side the road worms its way up the immensely deep Braulio ravine, clinging from side to side and tunnelling frequently, between towering rock walls, to the more open basin at the 4th Cantoniera, where the Umbrail Pass comes in from the left. From the junction to the summit is little more than a mile, the road winding more gently up 900 ft. of shaly slope, but still relatively viewless. "From the summit, where the famous Ortler view is suddenly revealed, the Trafoi windings lead down in face of superb views of peaks and glaciers to Trafoi, just below the tree line. The rest of the road, falling along the Trafoibach to the Adige levels in the main valley, is a pleasant descent with fine views ahead of the Zillertal (Austrian) peaks in the main Alpine chain."

Attachments

• stelvi0.jpg
    stelvi0.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 212
grumblebee said:
pdswife - that looks like the famous monestaries of greece... cant remember the exact name of the place though. It's on the tip of my tongue...!

Yep! It's the Meteora in Greece.
Our village is located right under them.:)

Varlaam Monastery

Varlaam Monastery was founded in 1517 by Theophanis and Nektarios Apsaradas from Ioanina though the first to establish a monastery here was an ascetic anchorite named Varlaam. The monastery houses an important collection of relics, intricately carved wooden crosses, icons, embroidered epitaphoi and many other ecliastical treasures. It also contains frescos by the well-known post Byzantine iconographer Frangos Katelanos.The monastery is open from 9am to 1pm and then from 3:30 to 6pm. It is closed on Fridays.

Which of course is part of Meteoras Monasteries You Guys all Did GREAT !:clap: :clap:

Attachments

• varlaam1.jpeg
    varlaam1.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 121
  • varlaam2.jpeg
    varlaam2.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 136
  • varlaam3.jpeg
    varlaam3.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 120
Yes... Meteora! The name was on the tip of my tongue... but I knew what it was? Does this mean I can post a photo now? Yippee!

Okay guys... what is this? (this might be too easy for some... we'll see!)

Attachments

• hoo.jpg
    hoo.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 184
  • jhjh.gif
    jhjh.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 128
Duhhhhhhhh Bucky You won Fair and Square, its your turn to put a Picture Up, ..........Darn ole Potty Break I should of just forgot about it..................................................:mad:

go with "depends" maidrite, that's what i do. :)

ok, lemme go find a picture...

here ya go:

oops, too easy.
lemme try again.

Last edited:
Barbara L said:
You're too easy Ken! That is the Wayne Gretzky Statue at Edmonton's Skyreach Centre. :cool:

Hey Barbara...its the right thing...wrong place. Its Rexall Place now. Heeheehee!

Back to buckytom's amphitheater thingy...sorry to hijack!

Alix said:
Hey Barbara...its the right thing...wrong place. Its Rexall Place now. Heeheehee!

Back to buckytom's amphitheater thingy...sorry to hijack!
Alix, I was going for the name of the place when it was erected! LOL Actually I just found an old website!

Back
Top Bottom