Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
sorry grumble, that one was too easy. i decided to change it.

This is a guess, since I can't find a single picture of this (other than yours! LOL), but is it the Abel Gance Open Air Cinema at Telluride? Ok, I'm going back to look some more. I'm determined to find another picture of this, as I am probably not even in the ballpark!

:) Barbara

Is it in Germany??
6.gif

barbara got it. it is a triptych type movie screen, for showing of abel gance's classic movie "napoleon".
i'm not sure if this was in france or america, but here's some photos of the construction: (click on the picture)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.solutions.fr/Napoleon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.solutions.fr/Evenements.html&h=260&w=385&sz=15&hl=en&start=47&tbnid=TDnOjcT21AGRYM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dabel%2Bgance%2Bnapoleon%26start%3D40%26dnum%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26newwindow%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

Since SierraCook got my last one (Windmills at Palm Springs) and hasn't had a chance to post a picture, I'm going to go ahead and let her take this turn. Have at it SierraCook!

Yes, it is! I would love to go see it in person sometime. There are so many pretty places in the world!

I have been to see this. It was such an awesome experience. I have my own pictures of it (one with the sun behind it is great!), but I haven't scanned them. What and where is this? :) Barbara

Attachments

• Cross 1.jpg
    Cross 1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Cross 5.jpg
    Cross 5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Cross 3.jpg
    Cross 3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Cross 4.jpg
    Cross 4.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 130
Maidrite said:
This is in fact Stelvio Pass (Swiss side) which is connected to Umbrail Pass (Italian side)
The Stelvio Pass

(9042 ft. / 2760 m)

line.gif

Open: Late June to mid-October. Maximum gradient: 1 in 9.
"The Stelvio is not in itself an essential through-route, but it is one of the most magnificent mountain passes to be driven by experienced drivers for its own sake. Till 1936, when the Iseran was opened (*), the highest motorable pass in Europe, it has only surrendered that honor by a matter of 46 ft, and is incomparably finer from the scenic angle: indeed, many consider it scenically the finest of all the Alpine passes. The road itself is also a marvel of engineering skill, the huge rises on both sides being overcome by some fifty hairpin bends on either approach, the 48 on the north side between the summit and Trafoi being probably the finest continuous hairpin sector in the Alps.
"On the southern side the road worms its way up the immensely deep Braulio ravine, clinging from side to side and tunnelling frequently, between towering rock walls, to the more open basin at the 4th Cantoniera, where the Umbrail Pass comes in from the left. From the junction to the summit is little more than a mile, the road winding more gently up 900 ft. of shaly slope, but still relatively viewless. "From the summit, where the famous Ortler view is suddenly revealed, the Trafoi windings lead down in face of superb views of peaks and glaciers to Trafoi, just below the tree line. The rest of the road, falling along the Trafoibach to the Adige levels in the main valley, is a pleasant descent with fine views ahead of the Zillertal (Austrian) peaks in the main Alpine chain."

Bravo bravo, James!!
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

You have done your homework very well!! I wish I could give you a multiple karma for this you deserve it!!
You rock as always!!:punk: :punk:

buckytom said:
barbara got it. it is a triptych type movie screen, for showing of abel gance's classic movie "napoleon".

Bucky, did you ever get to see this movie? I got to see it in the historic Chicago Theater years ago with Francis Coppola's dad directing a live orchestra accompanying the film. What a treat.

why yes i did 'bug, 20 + years ago, in radio city music hall. it was so cool that i remember it as if it were yesterday.
i was trying to think of a good picture, and then i thought 3 pictures would be better, ergo triptych.
i was just reading about how interpretations of nostradamus' centuries (quatrains as they are more often referred) revealed that napoleon was one of the three historical anti-christs, and at the time i needed to find a picture to post, so the idea of the picture of the screen came to me. i really thought i was going to stump everyone. man, barbara's good!!!

i wonder if frankie coppolla's dad had to keep telling him to keep quiet and stop playing cops and mafia during the rehearsals...

Back
Top Bottom