Home Theater Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't pay a penny over $249,950 for that.

Me neither. To bad thats there lowest model. i would hate to see how much the bigger ones cost. Its hard to tell if thats for a movie theater or a home. I know that the theater i go to all the time uses DLP technology, so im wondering if they use this same brand.

I wouldnt say that you only pay for the name with Monster cable. I have used a number of different cables out there and the Monster Cable is pretty good for the price.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver, Polk LS-90's, Polk surrounds, Sunfire sub, but I am still waiting on a TV that really impresses me. Maybe next year I will be ready for a new TV. haha

I wouldnt say that you only pay for the name with Monster cable. I have used a number of different cables out there and the Monster Cable is pretty good for the price.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver, Polk LS-90's, Polk surrounds, Sunfire sub, but I am still waiting on a TV that really impresses me. Maybe next year I will be ready for a new TV. haha

Yeah i can see your point on the quality, but still they do charge a hefty amount. For example there home theater surge protectors are way to over priced imho. For $200 from monster you get a 6125 joule rated surge protector with 8 outlets. for $75 from cyber power you get a 6000 joule rated surge protector with 8 outlets. Other than that monster does have dang good quality wire. If i didnt know how to make my own i would most likely buy from them or acoustic research.

So do you like the Yamaha receiver. i have not played with them enough to have my own POV. However I do know that they make a wicked baby grand piano. I like Polk audio. They are pretty well engineered imho. I like them better than bose. Whats your guy's opinion on Bose? I think they are really good but i think with good planing you can build just as good for a better price.

I think Bose is a decent product, but certainly no where near top of the line. For the average consumer Bose is great. For an audiophile or someone who thinks they have a good ear then Bose is middle of the road IMO.

Yamaha makes amazing sound equipment.

See thats what i say about Bose also. I think i have a good ear due to guitar and being in the music hobby. I do not know how to read music so i have to write my songs by ear.

I agree that there is better equipment out there. I wonder if you can build a better system than Bose for the same price. If you had $2000, do you think you could pull together a amazing sound system. I bet you could.

I bought my Polks back in 1995 or 1996, if I were looking at speakers today I would probably go for the Paradigm Studio or Signature series. Bose is nice, it just depends on what you really want from your speakers. I like to crank mine at times and rock out with my bleep out. jk With the Bose you really couldnt do that. I had a party one time and my neighbor, across the street, said her windows were shaking, Bose wouldnt go that loud.

I like the Yamaha, I have had just about every other receiver out there and the Yamaha just fit me better. Sounds good, but if I did it again I wouldnt go for the top of the line.

So Nachef, were do you purchase your yamaha, store or internet. There is a store by me named Inomative car audio and they also deal with home theater. They have some awesome awesome stuff. I have not heard any paradigm stuff yet. Does best buy carry them.

Yeah i like to rock out but most of all i love movies with deep bass that just rattles your fillings out of your face. thats the best. I wanna try the Harman/Kardon.

I used to buy my stuff from Broadway Audio Video on State and about 3000 So. He no longer has the store running, he only does installations now.

I have not been to Innovative Car Audio, they do sell the Paradigm but not sure what they actually have in stock. I want to go see but I know they dont budge on prices. I could have gotten $800 off of a $1900 set at Broadway, but Innovative wont do that.

What Harmon/Kardon are you talking about? I have not looked into subs for years, after I got my Sunfire I stopped reading about them.

Hmm, 30th and state huh. i havent seen it but then again im not lookin for it either. Yeah innovative will not budge at all. I might go through them for my car audio, but then again thats a crap load of money. They did however love my 200$ sound card for the pc. Maybe i have seen paradigms at innovative. The ones im thinking of were about 5 feet tall and cost about $10,000 each. They could have been JBL's but im not sure.

Ok the harman/kardon i want is there receiver.
harman/kardon
its gorgeous, i love it. this is the one my friend has that he has the studio monitors hooked up to as his fronts and center. then he has his 20 inch sub that is inclosed in a 4x2 box, hooked to a 4000 wat amp then that amp hooks to the receiver. his sub is behind his wall. His wall has two 1x1 port holes cut into it for the the bass.

A lot of times you can find the cheaper models with a lot of the same features as the expensive units. My Yamaha was just over $2k when I bought it but 2 years later I could have gotten the same features on a model that cost under $600.

It looks really nice but it may not be worth it in the long run. I am already wanting to buy a different receiver but to part with a $2k+ unit is harder than parting with a $500 unit.

I am just guessing on the South, but it was in that area.

I will have to go check out Innovative and see these speakers!

I always look for 'last years model' sales. I've been there, done that, trying to keep up with technology.:wacko:

Thats what i need to do is look for last years models. Im always trying to keep up with the jones's.

Nachef, is that place gone or is it still there becasue on tuesdays i go to a lil place down around 33rd and state called chicken express. best dang chicken n ribs. You can see them rotisserie the chicken and ribs in a fire pit as you eat. If its still there ill have to drop in. Oh and in case your looking for a good place to buy wire, EWS on 45 and state are way good and so is Ray elco.

Thanks I will check them out.

No, Broadway is no longer open but it is possible that we could still order stuff from him. He sent me a letter when he closed the doors stating he was only doing home theater install but could still help with any product. I will find the letter and give him a call and let you know.

ok cool. hopefully ill be married in a year so im gonna have to save money for that first. Then i can start collecting pieces, or at least i hope so. Yeah EWS is Electrical Wholesale Supply of Utah. They have everything from networking to home audio and in between. But mostly commercial and residentual wiring such as romex cable and what not. They do carry speaker wire and video cable. its like .16$ a foot for RG6 coax and .08$ a foot for CAT5E.

Ray Elco is a awesome awesome place that has electronics form the 50's all the way till now. They have cable out the wazoo. You cant go wrong with EWS and ray elco.

Not sure when I will need new wires but I will remember that. I have boxes full of wires!

I have some Kimber Cable speaker wire that is made here in Utah that I havent heard much about lately. I dont think I have used those for almost 10 years.

I do have an old radio that needs tubes however, so maqybe I will go into that Ray Elco and see what they can get for me.

cool, i know that in the past i have seen tubes at ray elco but not sure if there the kind your looking for. there a bazillions of types of tubes. lol. but i bet they could help you out.

This article is a year old, I have not been able to find anything recent on these as I was interested also. Could make TV prices drop as well, still not sure if I should get a TV this year or wait tell next year. Maybe I will just get a 32" this year and put it in the bedroom once I get something bigger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom