Homemade Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was liquored up enough...the coffee liquor is a close cousin of Kahlua, just made by someone else and cheaper.

The mixture I made is very, very yelllow (thank youl, girls, for those very nice yolks). Can I add more milk / cream before I put it in the ice cream maker? Or should I just let it go?

I stewed the rhubarb, infused the cream/milk with fennel seed, cardamon, black pepper, and a bit of rosemary. I subbed out the whole milk for buttermilk--wanted the tang. I upped the # of egg yolks to 5. The mixture that is now chilling b/4 going in the ice cream maker tastes really good and is the thickness of a milkshake! Success thus far? If it works, is it my recipe or still the recipe re: the source that I posted?
To say close to the recipe I'd add no more than 1/2 additional cup pf heavy cream.

Which is too much? Would adding more cream help, Andy?

Boogers, PF. I would bet it would be great in coffee though.

It would take a fair amount of dairy to dilute three ounces of the liqueur. I got the impression the ice cream maker had a small capacity.

It would take a fair amount of dairy to dilute three ounces of the liqueur. I got the impression the ice cream maker had a small capacity.

Yes, I can't put more than 12 ounces in the maker. I was hoping it would cut down on how much ice cream Shrek eats if I made it in small batches and was not able to make more until the next day:rolleyes:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Yes, I can't put more than 12 ounces in the maker. I was hoping it would cut down on how much ice cream Shrek eats if I made it in small batches and was not able to make more until the next day:rolleyes:

Ah. Maybe use the original mix as "concentrate" (keep in freezer) and add small amounts of it with more cream, sugar, espresso, to make new batches?

Last edited:
I make I've cream all the time!

I tend to use egg custard based recipes and heavy cream.

I made the non egg based one before with cream and it was nauseatingly creamy (possible!) like eating butter. So I stick to custard bases.

Made rocky road last week. Tonight husband requested nutella and white chocolate ice cream

The rhubarb ice cream is soooooo good. I don't like rhubarb that much, but I definitely will be looking forward to rhubarb season from now on--and, probably inclined to make this from the frozen rhubarb as well. I did add 5 egg yolks, infused the cream with cardamon, upped the cream to 1-1/2 c and subbed buttermilk for the milk. I did not add coloring, so the ice cream is yellowish.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 264
Ah. Maybe use the original mix as "concentrate" (keep in freezer) and add small amounts of it with more cream, sugar, espresso, to make new batches?

The original mix made it into a glass and I drank it...it was only 11 ounces of mix. It was good!

PrincessFiona60 said:
The original mix made it into a glass and I drank it...it was only 11 ounces of mix. It was good!

You disappeared it! Bet it WAS good!

I'm making this today:

The Art of Savory Ice Cream - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

I added the peel of one lime to the infusion with the hot pepper--added about 1 tsp of black and pink peppercorns. Used 1 c whole milk, 1 c half-and-half, and 1-1/2 cup whipping cream. I grated 3 oz of dark chocolate, 1 oz white chocolate, and 2 oz of bittersweet chocolate. I added 2 T of instant coffee to that, and I'm using 1/3 c dutch cocoa, and, of course, the 2 tsp of cayenne. Hopefully, we'll like this. If I hadn't consumed the Kahlua (sp), I would add an ounce of that. Who else is making ice cream today?

I'm making this today:

The Art of Savory Ice Cream - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

I added the peel of one lime to the infusion with the hot pepper--added about 1 tsp of black and pink peppercorns. Used 1 c whole milk, 1 c half-and-half, and 1-1/2 cup whipping cream. I grated 3 oz of dark chocolate, 1 oz white chocolate, and 2 oz of bittersweet chocolate. I added 2 T of instant coffee to that, and I'm using 1/3 c dutch cocoa, and, of course, the 2 tsp of cayenne. Hopefully, we'll like this. If I hadn't consumed the Kahlua (sp), I would add an ounce of that. Who else is making ice cream today?
That ice cream is flipping WOW. I'm not sharing. I'm going to hide in the closet and eat it all by myself. Toasted almonds would've been a nice touch--but I didn't have any almonds here.

Why cream, of course! :yum:

I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that my wife gave me for Christmas one year. I actually use it more for sorbet and sherbet than anything, but I do have some ice cream recipes at home I've tried. I'll try and post some tonight.

I too have the Cuisinart and a bottle of Zarex. Remember that? So last summer I made orange flavor slush. Still have some Zarex and am so tempted to make more for just me. :yum:

I too have the Cuisinart and a bottle of Zarex. Remember that? So last summer I made orange flavor slush. Still have some Zarex and am so tempted to make more for just me. :yum:
I do remember it, though mostly from traveling. I think it was always more of a northeastern product.

I love my little Cuisinart ice cream maker. I just keep the bowl in the freezer and whenever I have the time and ingredients, it's quick and easy to whip up some fruit sorbet.

That's the model I had prior to the Cuisinart. My wife's folks gave it to us and it worked well for many years until the motor finally just up and died one day. The corpse is still sitting on a shelf in the garage. I keep thinking maybe I'll fix it (yah, right :)) and give it to our daughter when she gets her own place. Along with the old food processor and the old toaster oven and the old.....

That's the model I had prior to the Cuisinart. My wife's folks gave it to us and it worked well for many years until the motor finally just up and died one day. The corpse is still sitting on a shelf in the garage. I keep thinking maybe I'll fix it (yah, right :)) and give it to our daughter when she gets her own place. Along with the old food processor and the old toaster oven and the old.....

We all have our dreams Steve. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom