How do like your coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never liked coffee until I discovered that you could drink it without milk. I like mine black with plenty of Demerara sugar. I didn't like coffee until I discovered that I could drink it without milk. Quite a revelation.

I also drink the real McCoy, not instant which I find really yucky. Probably because I drink it so strong.

Last edited:
I also drink the real McCoy, not instant which I find really yucky. Probably because I drink it so strong.

Wow, made me remember. When I first started drinking coffee, early 60's I guess, it was always instant. I couldn't stand perked. Then all of a sudden I didn't like instant - only brewed! too funny the memories!

I get a less than desirable reaction to drinks containing caffeine. I drink only decaf coffee and caffeine free coke. I guess that limits us types to not being connoisseurs of the many tastes of coffee.

Last edited:
My husband used to drink instant, his parents too.. Now a day we send over Swedish coffee, because they cant stomach instant

I actually drink more tea. Earl gray to be exact.
Me too, but not Earl Grey (shudder!). "Twinings Everyday" at the moment. A bit more expensive compared with "Yorkshire Tea" but a change is as good as a rest. My favourite used to be Ridgeway's "HM Blend" but it doesn't seem to be around now.

I have to limit my strong coffee intake or I'd be swinging naked from the light fittings (not a pleasant sight).

(Is that Christchurch NZ or Dorset?)

Beside what Karen mentioned, Cubans make a coffee they call Colada (Cuban Espresso). It is served in a large cup with several 1/2 oz paper cups to be poured into. One or two of those small cups and you'll be wired for the day!:blink::ROFLMAO:

My husband used to drink instant, his parents too.. Now a day we send over Swedish coffee, because they cant stomach instant
I can't take instant coffee either - disgusting muck if you take it black and very strong as I like my coffee.

Useful for baking though. A small amount with the chocolate in a cake if you forgot to save some from the morning "proper" coffee.

Wow, made me remember. When I first started drinking coffee, early 60's I guess, it was always instant. I couldn't stand perked. Then all of a sudden I didn't like instant - only brewed! too funny the memories!
I don't like the old-fashioned domestic percolator - the perking boils the coffee which makes it bitter - always a bad mistake. Filtered or the plunger jug for me.

I don't like the old-fashioned domestic percolator - the perking boils the coffee which makes it bitter - always a bad mistake. Filtered or the plunger jug for me.

Would that be a French press?

In the 1970s there was a chain of restaurants called "Berni Inns" in the UK. They used to serve "liqueur coffee" - black coffee with a shot of brandy, whisky or liqueur and cream floating on top, served in a stemmed glass with a little handle. My favourites were with Cointreau or Tia Maria.

I used to frequent the branch in Derby on Thursdays on the way to see my Aunt & Uncle - Yes, Berni Inns were inexpensive enough even for a newly qualified teacher and the Derby one was exceptionally good.

I miss coffee, I get to have it once in awhile when we go out for breakfast and only 1/2 cup. I had to stop drinking it as it raises havoc on my hiatal hernia. But use to drink it with cream and sugar then pregnant for my daughter the cream was bothering me then it was to sweet. I drank black after that, couldn't go back. Then the hernia about 10 yrs ago - It kills me when I make coffee in the morning for hubie. Dang I miss coffee.

Mad Cook... another memory boost.

60's or 70's would be about the time all the 'you name it country's coffee' became popular. Irish Coffee, Spanish Coffee, etc.

Served in a glass (usually stemmed) cup. So you could see the separation of the cream floating on top. Cream poured over the back of a spoon so as to float.

I love my coffee with cream and no sugar.

However, coffee doesn't like me as the caffeine gives me migraines. I can even only have the odd decaf as there is still enough there to do damage if I have too much.

So, I go for broke when I do have coffee and have the occasional mocha - chocolate has caffeine as well so if I am going to do it, I do it well!

The BEST, and only time I regularly drank coffee, was living in Amsterdam. The coffee was amazing, you could stand a spoon up in it it was so strong. Not sure what the secret was, but dang it was good. I only added a little sugar.

60's or 70's would be about the time all the 'you name it country's coffee' became popular. Irish Coffee, Spanish Coffee, etc.

Served in a glass (usually stemmed) cup. So you could see the separation of the cream floating on top. Cream poured over the back of a spoon so as to float.
The very thing, Dragnlaw! I went to a '70s themed dinner party (Prawn Cocktail, Steak Diane and Black Forest Gateau - gosh, we were sophisticated!!) a while back and we had Irish coffees at the end of the meal. Nostalgia, nostalgia!

The BEST, and only time I regularly drank coffee, was living in Amsterdam. The coffee was amazing, you could stand a spoon up in it it was so strong. Not sure what the secret was, but dang it was good. I only added a little sugar.
Hmm! Amsterdam? Are you SURE it was JUST coffee? :LOL:

Funny thing is, glass makes a terrible coffee cup -- if you like your coffee hot.

CD

DD made a pot of nice fresh ground flavored coffee today. I opted to have it with 1/2 tsp Ideal sugar sub and 1/2 tsp turbinado sugar and heavy cream (needed to use up the bit that was left from the chocolate fondue).

Back
Top Bottom