I would like to make capicola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gerardj

Senior Cook
i like sweet capicola but not the price, tried 2 recipes from youtube but threw them out.
surely it can't be that difficult.

one attempt grew green mold, the second came out dry and tough.
At that time I gave up. this was 3 yrs ago. the one in the video grew green mold and i tossed it.

Kathleen, my sentiments exactly. We've had several members who showed us their creations and I've always been a bit envious of their created and creative facilities!

For those wanting to get into curing meat, make sure you read up properly. It is not without danger, esp sausages.
Relatively easy ones to start with are bacon and Canadian bacon (no extra equipment needed).

I want to get back into curing and currently reading up on umai bags. They should make it possible to cure smaller pieces of meat without full temperature and humidity control

Very interesting Badjak, thank you.
Browsed thru the site but I still have questions about "where" to cure the various meats. Doesn't quite show that and now need to look for more info. As I've mentioned before I don't think I have a stable enough environment for it. - other than a fridge or freezer. Even the fridge is sort of iffy as depending on the shopping day - I'm pretty sure the humidity and temeprature flux alot.

I agree with getting Ruhlman's book. I have issues with how he spices some of the recipes, but never had a problem with salt/cure with the ones I made. We also have one of Marianski's, don't remember name, but cover has a lot of solid green.

Lots of research using REPUTABLE sources should be undertaken before trying to cure meats. You could make someone extremely sick, possibly kill them if you don't follow proper procedures.

I used 1 of those wine refrigerators. It was divided into 2 temperature zones. It ran a little cold for drying even at warm end of thermostat, but that was easily remedied by leaving the door slightly propped open. We invested in a decent thermometer, scale and hygrometer, plus pH testing equipment, some mini fans to control air flow and humidity, as well as the cures.

Honestly, I fiddled with it for a while, but eventually tired of it, and decided to buy what we could get commercially. A caveat though is that we live in a large metropolitan area and there are speciality markets of all kinds within decent driving range. We still make andouille and tasso on occasion because we'd rather have homemade because of the taste and there aren't any local Cajun markets.

I used 1 of those wine refrigerators. It was divided into 2 temperature zones. It ran a little cold for drying even at warm end of thermostat, but that was easily remedied by leaving the door slightly propped open. We invested in a decent thermometer, scale and hygrometer, plus pH testing equipment, some mini fans to control air flow and humidity, as well as the cures.

Honestly, I fiddled with it for a while, but eventually tired of it, and decided to buy what we could get commercially.
When I had the space, money was occupied elsewhere. Now I have no space, and also thinking I often jump into things whole heartedly only to quickly get tired of it.
As much as I would love to at least once, I'll just buy it. I'll live vicariously thru you guys. :mrgreen: If only you could send me a little slice now and then. :-p

When I had the space, money was occupied elsewhere. Now I have no space, and also thinking I often jump into things whole heartedly only to quickly get tired of it.
As much as I would love to at least once, I'll just buy it. I'll live vicariously thru you guys. :mrgreen: If only you could send me a little slice now and then. :-p
theres plenty of space in ontario.

I once met a group of radicals who thought we should straighten out the border in Canada. Starting with the top of Maine, annexing it to New Brunswick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom