IceCream Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a Gaggia for a while and it was EXCELLENT, but much smaller quantities of icecream produced. I am afraid I broke it by putting the wrong amount of vodka in the cooling unit.

We are thinking about getting another though for the summer. There is NOTHING like home made icecream. :)

Especially when you know what went into it!

And there are no preservatives or additives as with the ones in the stores.
That is, unless you buy all-natural ice cream which can cost a fortune!!

I've stopped buying ice cream 4 years ago. That's when I got my machine. And I enjoy doing that because it makes me feel so proud!

And most of all, no salt, ice nor prefreezing a space-robbing bowl in the freezer is necessary.

Last edited:
"healthier ice cream"

Silver said:
Do any of you ever make "healthier" ice cream in your units? You know...low fat, low sugar...all that other kind of stuff? Or is not available/possible without those special commercial/industrial ingredients?

I have made ice cream with just 1/2 cup of whole milk, tofu, some splenda, some SF/FF instant pudding...egg white...a quart is about 600 and some calories, so if my husband and I sit down to split a quart after dinner, we are eating a pretty healthy desert. Working with the pudding in an ice creamer maker is tricky, but it came out very, very creamy. I'm still experimenting, I bought a KA ice cream attachment and I like it a lot so far--makes just enough for the two of us.:chef:

Let us know the exact measurements of the ingredients when you're done experimenting, please.

I'd like to try this one myself!! Thank you.

fliggie said:
I have made ice cream with just 1/2 cup of whole milk, tofu, some splenda, some SF/FF instant pudding...egg white...a quart is about 600 and some calories, so if my husband and I sit down to split a quart after dinner, we are eating a pretty healthy desert. Working with the pudding in an ice creamer maker is tricky, but it came out very, very creamy. I'm still experimenting, I bought a KA ice cream attachment and I like it a lot so far--makes just enough for the two of us.:chef:

Interesting, let us know how it turns out when you've got it "figured out".

I have a manual/hand-cranked Donvier that I think I paid maybe $20-$30 for about 8 years ago. It makes great ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbets, etc. & isn't a big deal to use. You just give it a couple of turns every few minutes for about 20 minutes. Kinda fun.

Ice Cream Recipe, where to post

Silver said:
Interesting, let us know how it turns out when you've got it "figured out".

I'd be happy to post, but I am new here, so please direct me--would I post it here, or under the recipes section?

Thanks. Mary Ann

For years I've been wanting an ice cream maker. But everytime I look at a model, it requires that the bowl be frozen first.

As I want to be able to make ice cream anytime I want to, and as I have no space in my freezer, I need an ice cream maker that does not require freezing the bowl.

Is there such a model? And would it work as well as the ones that require freezing the bowl?

Thanks!

There are a number of brands & models that "self-freeze", but all the ones I've seen are way up there in price. I think the very cheapest one I ever saw was around $400, & I've seen some closer to $1,000.

I would imagine the prices are due to the fact that you're technically buying a miniature self-contained freezer.

Chopstix said:
For years I've been wanting an ice cream maker. But everytime I look at a model, it requires that the bowl be frozen first.

As I want to be able to make ice cream anytime I want to, and as I have no space in my freezer, I need an ice cream maker that does not require freezing the bowl.

Is there such a model? And would it work as well as the ones that require freezing the bowl?

Thanks!

If you want, you can go to my post on the previous page, see what mine looks like with the address given and read my review on it.

I paid $200.00 for it, but it now sells for $159.00 at Amazon.com brand new.

BreezyCooking, the ones that you speak of have stainless steel housings and are slightly larger. I once contemplated getting one of those, but I didn't want to spend that amount of money for one.

The cheaper alternative, I think, for budget-concious consumers is the one like mine (Gelato TSA-109) which has a plastic housing. You'll still get great tasting ice cream and there's no pre-freezing the bowl beforehand.

The only pre-freezing that you must do is to let the freezing chamber chill down until it's frozen, and this will only take about a few minutes after you turn on the main switch - not eight hours!

It's now the Gelato Junior 470, but it is very much identical to mine.

And BTW, I think $159.00 is the lowest you can go for a self-contained unit.
I've had no problems with mine. It works perfectly every time!

Plus you can buy extra bowls for double batches if you want to. Amazon sells those as well.

Actually, this machine comes in two different sizes - a 1-qt. and a 2-qt. model.
The 2-qt. model, I think, is the Gelato 490.

Last edited:
Sararwelch said:
I have a rival, it was under $50. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's really noisy, and the canister doesn't seem to hold a chill for that long.
I bought the same thing several years ago before I discovered sources of information like this one. Following are some lessons I've learned after a few hundred uses.

1. It makes a little noise but not a disturbing amount.
  2. It will not freeze two batches without refreezing the canister, but it will certainly freeze one batch without problem caused by increased canister temperature.
  3. Freezing the container for 48 hours is much better than 24 hours.
  4. Attach the paddle and quickly turn on the motor; then pour in the liquid. This prevents stripping the square peg in the paddle or the square hole in the base into a round ones.

Thanks Breezy and Corey. Corey, thanks for the link. Amazon will probably not work for me as 110 volt appliances don't work here. Also I'm not willing to pay freight charges. At least now I know that there are indeed self-contained units that don't require pre-freezing which are affordable and are effective. I just have to keep looking.

You're welcome!

I plum forgot that you don't live in the USA! These machines are actually made in Italy by Lello Appliances Co., most of them are, so hopefully, you'll be able to get one that coresponds with the voltage supply where you are.

Lello makes the same identical machines for other co's under different names as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Wooohoooo!!! Hector just gave me this one for my birthday!!!

I can't wait to make coconut pineapple ice cream to put on top of banana wontons!!!!!

Last edited:
Katie E said:
Well, happy birthday! Make lots and lots of yummy ice cream. What a nice gift! Someone loves you.

Or wants ice cream.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks!!

It's probably a little bit of both!

cusinart one...

I also have the cuisinart one. I think pretty much all the ice cream makers of this style are the same. I don't think there is anything that sticks out with the cuisinart to make it stand out. I just got a good deal on it and i think thats why i bought it. Anyways with that said i had to get used to using it. I have made many batches of "ICE CUBE" cream rather than "Ice Cream " :ROFLMAO:. I also wanted to pull it to early. I know make perfect ice cream every time. Id love to have one of those compressor units but im unwilling to spend the $/room.

About store ice cream...yes its gross. Have you ever noticed what it turns into when it melts? It certainly isn't cream. Its a bowl of airy goo that doesn't look to appetising. The only good stuff is like ben & Jerry's and hagandaz (or however you spell it) and look how much that stuff cost.

Ncage

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom