Is it a good idea to put dark roux in ragu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken livers in bolognese don't make it taste like chicken liver. They just add an umami depth to the taste. I came up with a copycat version of a bolognese that I saw made in a very successful NYC Italian restaurant as a weekend only special. It has 6 meats in it, ground beef and turkey, Italian sausage, bacon, chicken thighs and livers, plus a mirepoix, tomatoes and various spices/herbs, and wine. It takes 2 days to make, as it sits overnight in the refrigerator to make defatting it easier, plus has a long cooking time. It also makes a tremendous amount of sauce, which is good as we portion and freeze. The restaurant makes fresh tagliatelli to go with. It's also very thick when done just from the cooking process alone.

ETA: Just found a picture.

View attachment 67143
My bolognaise recipe is similar using many different proteins and I always use rabbit as well.

My bolognaise recipe is similar using many different proteins and I always use rabbit as well.
Every time you write something about using rabbit, I am reminded of when I lived in a log cabin. We really didn't have much money, so in winter, the meat we ate most of the time was snowshoe hare that my exDH caught on a snare line. It was tasty. It was extremely lean. And, we got so fricking tired of that lean meat that it was ridiculous. Have you ever cooked with or eaten snowshoe hare?

Every time you write something about using rabbit, I am reminded of when I lived in a log cabin. We really didn't have much money, so in winter, the meat we ate most of the time was snowshoe hare that my exDH caught on a snare line. It was tasty. It was extremely lean. And, we got so fricking tired of that lean meat that it was ridiculous. Have you ever cooked with or eaten snowshoe hare?
No, can't say I have. The farmed breeds are designed for size, meat and frequency for breeding in Canada. I will ask my provider if they ever use snowshoe the next time I talk with them. I must say that rabbit is one of my favorite proteins but is limited to certain dishes that all involve the braising or confit rabbit, like a bolognaise sauce, yeah love rabbit. I also use rabbit stock in many places where I use chicken stock, adds a depth of flavor that works quite well for me.

Last edited:
No, can't say I have. The farmed breeds are designed for size, meat and frequency for breeding in Canada. I will ask my provider if they ever use snowshoe the next time I talk with them. I must say that rabbit is one of my favorite proteins but is limited to certain dishes that all involve the braising or confit rabbit, like a bolognaise sauce, yeah love rabbit. I also use rabbit stock in many places where I use chicken stock, adds a depth of flavor that works quite well for me.
It has a lot of flavour. It has no fat. There was one fat one. I found a piece of fat between its shoulder blades. It was about 1/2 cm by 1 cm. I never saw any other fat on any of them. I think my favourite dish made with them was "snowshoe vindaloo".

It has a lot of flavour. It has no fat. There was one fat one. I found a piece of fat between its shoulder blades. It was about 1/2 cm by 1 cm. I never saw any other fat on any of them. I think my favourite dish made with them was "snowshoe vindaloo".
Sounds tasty. I've eaten vindaloo from Kerala India where the dish originated and was to this day the hottest (spiciest) preparation of a curry I've ever had. Yes I finished it, I like hot, lol. Anyway, we prep probably 40 rabbits a month and I've yet to see much fat on any rabbits, a little yes, but not much.

Last edited:
Sounds tasty. I've eaten vindaloo from Kerala India where the dish originated and was to this day the hottest (spiciest) preparation of a curry I've ever had. Yes I finished it, I like hot, lol. Anyway, we prep probably 40 rabbits a month and I've yet to see much fat on any rabbits, a little yes, but not much.
When I am asked how hot a curry can I tolerate, I usually answer, "And enjoy it? Vindalou."

When I am asked how hot a curry can I tolerate, I usually answer, "And enjoy it? Vindalou."
I went to an Indian restaurant a few months ago and was told was one of the better and more authentic ones, so I went, and it was very good. Anyway, I was asked if I want mild, medium or hot and I said hot. The waitress giggled a little and said are you sure, the chef's hot is really hot and most people have a problem eating it. I said, hot is fine. The chef came out to the table smiling at me and explained that his hot is very hot, he was a nice guy that immigrated to Canada and opened this restaurant, but I assured him that I wanted to test his hot. Anyway, he came out after and I told him that is advice was accurate but I ate it all, and it was very hot, no doubt, which was impressive to him apparently, I've been back since. :) Anyway, sorry for derailing.

I went to an Indian restaurant a few months ago and was told was one of the better and more authentic ones, so I went, and it was very good. Anyway, I was asked if I want mild, medium or hot and I said hot. The waitress giggled a little and said are you sure, the chef's hot is really hot and most people have a problem eating it. I said, hot is fine. The chef came out to the table smiling at me and explained that his hot is very hot, he was a nice guy that immigrated to Canada and opened this restaurant, but I assured him that I wanted to test his hot. Anyway, he came out after and I told him that is advice was accurate but I ate it all, and it was very hot, no doubt, which was impressive to him apparently, I've been back since. :) Anyway, sorry for derailing.
My wife was traveling in India and was asked basically the same thing… and she said India Hot. They laughed and came to the table and she ate every bite. So they invited her into the kitchen and showed how how they made it — with all the outrageous peppers. And wrote down the recipe to bring it back to the states. And gave her hugs.

She still loves super hot food. Me, my system is getting old and can’t do super hot anymore.

I generally say that I want it like their grandma would cook it.
I tend to get a good laugh and hot curry.

But as far as I know Vindaloo originates in Goa, not Kerala

As I remember it, it's an early fusion dish involving pork from a Portuguese ship. So, I looked it up. Yes, it's Indian fusion with a Portuguese dish called "carne de vinha d'alhos" - meat in wine and garlic. And yes, from Goa, which was part of "Portuguese India".

Yeah I believe it did as well, except when you talk to people from Kerala. History is a funny thing.

I don’t use a roux in bolognaise. But there is usually some sort of stock.
And absolutely it gets mixed in the pasta before serving. And the sauce is not the star of the dish. The pasta is.
I’m in a bit of a bind when it comes to my curries.
MrJade isn’t a big fan of heat in his curries, but I like ring-burners. There are times when I will add some more heat to my own food after I have served him!

I don’t use a roux in bolognaise. But there is usually some sort of stock.
And absolutely it gets mixed in the pasta before serving. And the sauce is not the star of the dish. The pasta is.
I’m in a bit of a bind when it comes to my curries.
MrJade isn’t a big fan of heat in his curries, but I like ring-burners. There are times when I will add some more heat to my own food after I have served him!
It seems to me that @pepperhead212 has to deal with that on occasion. He has some ways of doing that. Maybe someone else here does too. Why don't you start a thread asking about that. I would put that question here:

if i put roux in a beef stew.. should i do it at the beginning of cooking, at the middle, or towards end of cooking?

Back
Top Bottom