Is it right to go inside a bar and arrest someone for public intoxication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it right to arrest someone inside a bar for public intoxication?

• No

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Yes, please explain

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not right! The guy was in his Hotel! He didn't even have a car! Wrong wrong wrong. And as middie said, next they will coming into our homes!

texasgirl said:
Do you think it's right for the police to go into a bar, decide that someone is drunk and arrest them because they MIGHT get out on the streets? Without asking if they have a designated driver or whatever?
They are being arrested for PUBLIC intoxication. I always believed that a club or a bar, was PRIVATE property and if you go outside, that was public. Am I wrong in thinking that peoples rights are being violated?
Don't get me wrong, driving drunk is a BIG pet peeve, but, if they don't have proof that these people were going to get on the road, that's not right. They arrested a man that came into town, went to a bar across the street from his hotel and arrested him for slurring his words while INSIDE the bar. He had no intention of driving, he didn't even have a car to drive!!! They didn't care either. What do you think?

I haven't seen the story, so I can't form an opinion. As I understand it, laws vary from state to state. There are probably some very antiquated laws/rules still in law 'books' today. Public intoxication may or may not be legal.

Re private/public property - I don't think a bar is private property. One cannot smoke in bars/clubs/restaurants here - and on many beaches smoking/drinking is not permitted. I went to a club where I knew the owner, who smoked, and if one patron complained about cigarette smoke, the police were there. Don't think anyone's predictions/speculations would hold up in court.

I'd have to read the Texas law to be sure, but I bet they do have a strong argument that it's legal to arrest someone for public intoxication in a bar.

Like Mish said, a bar* is not really private property. It is considered a "public accomodation," and must adhere to a variety of laws, as must the patrons.

This is a lot different from having the cops break into your home, which IS private property.

But do I think it's ethically or from a public policy perspective right? Probably not. And I suspect it will be selectively enforced to harass particular bars/patrons.

As opposed to a membership club, like a VFW, etc.

Last edited:
I cant tell you how strongly I feel about this. All law enforcement that was involved in what happened should be in jail. To me this is a violation of peoples civil liberties. If the government felt SO strongly about the dangers of alcohol, it should be banned. This country is becoming unrecognizable. The government is intruding into our lives FAR too much and that is why thousands of British ran away from England and formed the American Colonies. I am loosing faith in America. And MADD is a self-perpetuating institution that has become more of a money maker, than a force for good. http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheNews/DrinkingAndDriving/1111690174.html

If there should not be drunk folks, there should be no bars...
they should arrest the bar tender as well for being an accesory,
seriously I think unless the person caused a huge disturbance then he should be left alone...

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
All law enforcement that was involved in what happened should be in jail.
Sush, I happen to agree with your sentiment that this is completely wrong and that if a person gets drunk in a bar and doesn't bother anyone then that is their business, but why should these police officers be in jail? From what I understand of this case (and I may not completely understand it I openly admit) the law says that you are not allowed to be drunk in public. The officers were just doing what they swore to do when they became cops. We may not agree with the law, but it still is in place and the cops were doing what they were supposed to.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying I think they should have done what they did. Personally I think they should look at the spirit the law was written in and ignore things like this situation. The law was obviously written to protect the public at large from drunk people causing trouble. Someone drinking in a bar and not bothering anyone and not driving should be allowed to do just that IMO.

Well GB I said that in 60% truth. Actually, the person who arranged this should be held 100% responsible. As Americans we have civil liberties.

"First, I have this to say to any peace officer who participated in these raids or others like it: Hang up your badge and resign now! You have broken your oath to defend the Constitution. You have disgraced the uniform of your department and you've broken the faith of the public and of your fellow officers. Even if you were under under orders, that's no excuse. No one in who wears any uniform in the Unites States is obligated to obey an unlawful order. And these arrests were not lawful by any stretch of the imagination. http://constitutiondeathpool.blogspot.com/

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Fear of crime is one of the biggest concerns for people[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]today. The police have a difficult job to do and not enough resources to do it.

But too often, rather than give them those extra resources, Governments opt for short-cut solutions. The police are in a position of great responsibility - and great power. That's why their powers have to be carefully managed, to ensure that they're not abused, and that the public have confidence in them.

At the same time, they need the support - of more staff, more money, more resources - so they can genuinely police our streets and help communities feel safer. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/issues/police.shtml[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
It's a difficult but vital balance. On DNA databasing, protections for people in custody and Anti Social Behaviour Orders, the Government risks creating real problems for the police and the public.

Tough talk is one thing, but if their tough measures are unjust and don't work, then we all lose in the long run."

Benjamin Franklin said it best:

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

(I dont agree 100% with what the folks say in the links above, but its the best I could find in a pinch)

[/FONT]

My husband and I used to often take vacations to places where we could get a nice hotel room within walking distance of great restaurants and bars, and walk back to our room. As a matter of fact, we chose the community we live in because we can do that. The thought that we could be arrested for no good reason because we chose to walk home rather than drive, knowing we were above the limit for driving is pretty scary. Public intoxication should be used for people who get into fights, etc. But saw on the news a couple years ago of places in Virginia where the police arrest people for being genially drunk in a bar ... who have no intentions of driving home, and weren't bothering anyone.

I have many friends who like to think they don't drink too much, and drive all the time. The thought that they are on the road, yet people who have the sense to know when they've had one too many and will take a cab or walk can STILL be arrested, before they step out the door, is scary.

OK, I have been following this thread for a while now and while I agree that no one should be subject to random police weirdness, I have a hard time believing there isn't more to this story. You just can't fit all the information in a short sound byte, or in so many inches of newspaper column.

I have a friend who is a police officer and I just can't see him behaving like that without some kind of cause.

I'm reserving judgement on this one. My crap detector is going off.

I am glad to see there are places that have so few problems with crime that they can afford to send their officers into bars to arrest people who are quietly having a few drinks containing a legal substance, and not bothering anyone.

Agree with Alix, something sounds strange about this.

But most arrests, searches, etc. based on the selective application of rarely (if ever) applied laws generally don't stand up, I do not believe.

And am with Claire, when we go out for a special meal, and want a bottle of wine and maybe an after dinner drink, make sure we can take a cab or walk.

In a few weeks we will be going to a conference in a hotel, where we will be staying.

Am sure there will be a cocktail hour on one of the nights.

If people were going to be subject to random checking for being a tad tipsy, I am sure the organization would never hold the conference in that area again.

OMG!!! I would absolutely dieif they did that here! I say WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!! COuld you imagine? Your go to a bar to DRINK and you cant drink....hmmm....I say Law suit! If they wanted to "nab" the culprits why not sit outside the bar and wait for them? Why arrest the innocent....

Alix said:
OK, I have been following this thread for a while now and while I agree that no one should be subject to random police weirdness, I have a hard time believing there isn't more to this story. You just can't fit all the information in a short sound byte, or in so many inches of newspaper column.

I have a friend who is a police officer and I just can't see him behaving like that without some kind of cause.

I'm reserving judgement on this one. My crap detector is going off.

There is no crap here, Alix!! The TABC {Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission} is doing this. They don't need ANY reason other than they think they are drunk, no blood test, not breathalizer, nothing!! Google it, if you don't believe, but, it's the truth. It's all over the news, radio and newspaper. I don't think that I have ever had someone on here tell me something I put on here is crap. That's okay, I know it true!! I live here, it's happening in one of the cities near me!! Talk to the people that it's happening to!! Tell THEM it's crap.

Last edited:
I have apologized privately in a PM to texasgirl, and now will clarify here for anyone else who is upset with me.

I am NOT stating that what was reported is crap. What I am saying is that I believe there is unreported (for whatever reason) information. The police may not have released all their info, the media may not have been able to report all their info. My point is I personally don't believe I have enough information to make a judgement in this case. So, please do not feel I am disagreeing, rather, I am reserving judgement.

And buckytom, the crap detector sound is sort of a high pitched whine...like this *buckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeisabrat*

The only thing I find objectionable is the repeated use of the word crap.

What word would you prefer mish? I thought that was the least objectionable word I could choose for what I truly meant.

Back
Top Bottom