Is there such a thing as discussion forums that are dedicated to bbq, except here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: Seeing - are you asking us to suggest and promote another Food Forum? :LOL:

I'm sure there must be but are they any good? Only you can answer that by going to them and seeing if they have what you are looking for.

Check out bbq brethren
And the virtual weber bulletin board if you use a weber braai

There are a few I know about. They are sub forums on a cooking forum. If you want links I can send them to you.
There are also a couple really good Facebook pages on this subject.

thanks

hopefully bbq brethren will approve my registration soon..

the same with virtual weber bulletin board

i've a standard weber charcoal grill

maybe i will check facebook too..

i just want to know..
1. on what temperature to smoke turkey breast or boneless turkey thighs..
2. what is the internal temperature that it should reach....
3. and if there is a very simple recipe that might help as well..

i want to make a turkey sandwich with real aioli and cabbage..

. . . i just want to know..

With red meats, it is recommended you maintain a lower temperature in the 225ºF-250ºF to enable long periods on the smoker to break down the tougher cuts of meat. This is not necessary for poultry. Smoke them at 300ºF until they reach an internal temperature of 160ºF for the breast and 175ºF for the thighs then let them rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
I don't recommend a lot of strong rubs and/or sauces. The turkey is fairly mild flavored and the rubs and sauces would overpower that flavor. I would season with salt and pepper, garlic and onion powders and smoke with a mild wood like apple.

thanks

hopefully bbq brethren will approve my registration soon..

the same with virtual weber bulletin board

i've a standard weber charcoal grill

maybe i will check facebook too..

i just want to know..

Andy is 100% right. Dont cook a turkey breast at lower than 300-350. It will just dry out.

Thighs at around 300. Cook the breast to 160 internal. I cook thighs to 175-180 to dissolve all the connective tissue.

Use a couple of chunks of mild smoking wood. The chicken will be plenty smoky-tasting.

Not sure how you keep a uniform temp on a weber charcoal kettle, though. I can do it easily on my Big Green Egg but its way harder to keep a Weber at temp.

cooll

is it better to let the turkey sit in the fridge overnight after smoking it?

how long should an average turkey breast takes to smoke?

Andy is 100% right. Dont cook a turkey breast at lower than 300-350. It will just dry out.

Thighs at around 300. Cook the breast to 160 internal. I cook thighs to 175-180 to dissolve all the connective tissue.

Use a couple of chunks of mild smoking wood. The chicken will be plenty smoky-tasting.

Not sure how you keep a uniform temp on a weber charcoal kettle, though. I can do it easily on my Big Green Egg but its way harder to keep a Weber at temp.
thanks

maybe this method will keep the temperature steady?

Here is an ancient post that explains how to use a Weber kettle as a smoker. The post that has the method no longer carries the diagram that's part of the explanation but I attached the photo from my own file.

1701117359677.png

Its all about controlling air flow. See Andy's post.

Make sure literally every speck of ash and leftover coal is cleaned out of the kettle before you start.

And do not use briquettes like in your picture unless its literally the only thing you can find. Taste-wise, smoking needs hardwood lump charcoal. Poultry benefits from adding a little mild chunk wood, like a fruit wood. But it will be pretty smoky tasting with just the lump charcoal.

Its all about controlling air flow. See Andy's post.

Make sure literally every speck of ash and leftover coal is cleaned out of the kettle before you start.

And do not use briquettes like in your picture unless its literally the only thing you can find. Taste-wise, smoking needs hardwood lump charcoal. Poultry benefits from adding a little mild chunk wood, like a fruit wood. But it will be pretty smoky tasting with just the lump charcoal.
Hardwood burns hotter and faster. For low slow applications a good briquette is the best choice. I like hardwood too. But I reserve it for fast cooking/grilling where I don't need several hours of cooking time.
Look up the "Snake" charcoal method for kettle grills. There is the "Minion" method that's popular but I don't like it. I think it burns to fast.
This snake method allows for more freedom with vents. Adjusting vents during a cook can be a real pain. So Google the snake method. I use it exclusively for long cooks. I can set the vents once and only have to adjust the top vent occasionally and sometimes I never have to touch the top vent.
Good luck and happy cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom