ISO How Do You Like Your Grits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
I have always enjoyed a side of grits with meat drippings poured over them. I have found a lot of casseroles with grits, cheese & sausages.

How do you serve grits?

I like them cooked creamy with butter - sometimes with cheese. I've had them other ways, but these are my favorites. Many places in the south serve grits with fish or different types of seafood, but I'm not crazy about that. I'd rather have potatoes with fish or seafood.

Thank you. I don't have polenta much either. I make what my dad called (and forgive my spelling) koolasha with cornmeal to make a cakelike thing that we serve with stew. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Alix - you will be receiving some in the mail!

I like a little cheese, butter, and garlic in mine.

The meat gravy and grits is certainly a marriage made in heaven!

Puree some roasted red peppers (and garlic, s & p, a tiny bit of old bay and some lemon juice) and incorporate those into the grits - serve with seafood.

I love a poached egg placed on top of a stiffer mix of grits. Stone ground if I can ever mind them are my favorite.

I like my grits left in it's box I'm afraid. I want to like them but I just can't.

Hominy Grits are a gift to us from the American Indians. Hominy is dried white or yellow corn (maize) kernels from which the hull and germ have been removed. This can be done mechanically or chemically by soaking in lye water. Today mechanical removal is the method of choice. When the hominy is ground it is called hominy grits.
99% of what you see in modern grocery stores is Hominy Grits. Quaker “Quick” grits say ready in 5 minutes.:ermm: 20 to 30 minutes is better!

Stone ground grits (my favorite and simply stated) are made from grinding whole corn kernels which is sifted extracting meal etc. The tiny particles that are two large to go into the meal are grits. These grits contain the “germ” of the corn. Which in IMHO give them a better (corn) flavor and are more nutritious. They are generally simmered with milk and/or water until very creamy, smooth and thick. In my part of the world they are primary served with a plethora of breakfast foods. Served with butter, red-eye gravy etc. Grits can be chilled, cut into squares and fried in butter. Sometimes cheese is added. Shrimp and grits is a fantastic and delicious dish from the Carolinas. Yum! Stone ground may be hard to find outside of the south but can be ordered over the Internet.

Instant grits are pre-cooked and dried for packaging. They cook very quickly and are not fit for human consumption.:yuk: Trust me Ok?:LOL:

Last edited:
Uncle Bob said:
Instant grits are pre-cooked and dried for packaging. They cook very quickly and are not fit for human consumption.:yuk: Trust me Ok?:LOL:

There are always coupons for the Instant Grits so it is good to know where to put the coupon! (Round File :LOL: )

When traveling South my Mom always ordered grits, I tried them and reminds me of Cream of wheat, which needs sugar! :ROFLMAO: Sorryyyyyy.

I love grits!!!

I like them baked with cheddar and jalapenos.
I like them with a bit of cinnamon/sugar/butter.
I like them with butter.
I like them with country gravy and some crumbled up crispy bacon or sausage
I like them anytime with just about anything!!

:) Salt,pepper and butter.I just had a thought I bet they would be good with pan fried german sausage.Hmm, I wonger how saurkraut would go with it along with the sausage?

Barb L. said:
When traveling South my Mom always ordered grits, I tried them and reminds me of Cream of wheat, which needs sugar! :ROFLMAO: Sorryyyyyy.

Cream of Wheat + Sugar = Good
Oatmeal + sugar = Good
Grits + Sugar = Bless Y'alls heart! I'll be prayin for ya!:LOL:

jpmcgrew, grits are great with sausage!! Never thought about trying with saurkraut but I don't think it would be bad. I love them in all the ways mentioned (except the one "with sugar" double yuck! Even as a kid I always ate Malto-Meal with butter, S&P; nothing else on it). Leftover grits can be done like fried cornmeal mush after it has sat in the fridge overnight.

Grits + Sugar = Bless Y'alls heart! I'll be prayin for ya!

Thanks Uncle Bob..I need all the prayers i can get..LOL

The late Lewis Grizzard, syndicated columnist for The Atlanta Constitution and author of such classics as Elvis is dead and I don't feel so good myself and Don't sit under the grits tree with anyone else but me gave his recipe for grits.

Grits Billy Bob by Lewis Grizzard

First don't fool with no instant grits. The idiot who invented instant grits also though of frozen fried chicken, and they ought to lock him up before he tries to freeze dry collards.
Get yourself some home ground grits cook em slow and stir every chance you get. Otherwise you'll have lumps and you don't want lumps.
Salt and pepper and stir in enough butter to choke a goat. Fry some bacon and sausage on the side and crumble that in, and then come on top of that with all the cheese the law will allow. Grits Billy Bob ought to not run out of the pot. They ought to crawl. Serve hot. Cold Grits Billy Bob are harder than a steel belted radial.

Actually, I don't mind "Instant Grits" when I'm on-the-go on a cold winter's morn. No, they're nothing to write home about, but I still like 'em. Go figure.

My favorite way to enjoy cornmeal however, is more as what is known as either "hardened corn meal mush" or "polenta".

I just cook up a small saucepan of cornmeal & allow it to cool, then refrigerate. When it's completely solid, I cut it into portions (like brownies) & fry/saute it in lots of butter. Either use it as a side for fried eggs & breakfast meats, or as a base for sauteed mushrooms, etc., etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom