ISO mini food processor for nut butters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just noticed that my 7 cup Cuisinart Pro Classic doesn't have a grind function, just "on" and "pulse." Is that typical for most food processors? The 3.5 cup Cuisinart Mini Prep I just bought has both chop and grind functions. So I'm guessing I can use the Mini Prep for peppercorns and coffee beans but not the Pro Classic?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Yes, that's typical for most FP. I bet you could make nut butters in your big FP but you'd have to use a lot more nuts.

Yes, that's typical for most FP. I bet you could make nut butters in your big FP but you'd have to use a lot more nuts.

Thanks Andy. Yes, the manual for the Classic Pro does say you can make nut butter with it, but oddly it says not to process more than 2 cups of nuts at a time. I would have thought it could handle more with a 7 cup capacity. Any thoughts on why?

Nut butter gets pretty stiff. Trying to process too much at once would probably stress, and perhaps damage, the motor.

I've found that with making nut butters, patience is a virtue. I pulse for awhile, let the FP rest for awhile, pulse some more, and so on. My little KA FP is a real trooper. I also make very small batches at a time.

Last edited:
Nut butter gets pretty stiff. Trying to process too much at once would probably stress, and perhaps damage, the motor.

Ah that makes sense! I'm going to try processing 1 cup of hazelnuts in my Mini Prep. Hopefully that will not overload the machine. I bought it to make small amounts of nut butter.

My Mini Prep just arrived and I'm confused about something in the instruction manual. In one part of the manual it says to use the grind function for nuts, but in another section it says to use the chop function. Which is the best for making nut butter?

I'd stick with grind. I don't think it would be a bad thing if you used the chop function but grind may do a better job.

I'd stick with grind. I don't think it would be a bad thing if you used the chop function but grind may do a better job.

Thanks Andy. It seems that chop is okay for the 7 cup according to its manual (there is no grind for that machine), but grind may be better for the Mini Prep.

With the mini the sharp edge of the blade chops the softer stuff while the unsharpened edge of the blade grinds the hard items. If nothing else, it's set-up that way to keep the sharp edge sharp longer.

With the mini the sharp edge of the blade chops the softer stuff while the unsharpened edge of the blade grinds the hard items. If nothing else, it's set-up that way to keep the sharp edge sharp longer.

Interesting! Looking forward to making some hazelnut butter in the Mini Prep tonight. Will post how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom