Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to do that, te, following your recipe. We've been using a lot of yogurt this year.
I'm not sure which recipe you have. Lately I have been using a new recipe/technique. Cold start is so much easier than the boil method. Half and Half and/or heavy cream comes out so thick and creamy. I love to serve with vanilla (or other extract) and honey added.

Ms. Mofet's Cold Start IP Yogurt

1/2 gallon Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half
OR
1 Quart Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half
1 Quart Ultra Pasteurized Heavy Cream

(has to be Ultra Pasteurized for cold start)

3 TBSP. Plain Greek Yogurt
Combine above till smooth and no lumps.
Place in Instant Pot inner liner pot.
Select Yogurt NORMAL Mode, set for 8 hours.
That's it you're done, walk away.
When done incubating strain 12 hours.
Thick, creamy and mild.

(I'm going to try making Instant Pot Ghee next)

Last edited:
Thanks very much! I'm putting more half and half on the grocery list.

How would the Instant Pot be better than the stovetop for making ghee?

You’re welcome.

I’ve never made Ghee before but it just sounds easy. Butter in Instant pot, sauté mode 11 minutes then strain.

You’re welcome.

I’ve never made Ghee before but it just sounds easy. Butter in Instant pot, sauté mode 11 minutes then strain.

Won't that be plain clarified butter? I think the milk solids have to brown a bit for it to be ghee. In either case, the liquid fat is strained and used and the solids left behind are used by some people on toast and discarded by other people.

And yes, ghee is a form of clarified butter.

I use my IP for the yogurt all the time - works great!

Never used it to make ghee, but I'm sure it would work, though I'm not sure what mode would be best - just like stovetop, no exact time. The best way I have found is bringing the heat up to about 270-280°, at which time the browned bits in the bottom will have almost stopped sizzling, but they won't be burning yet. Immediately pour this into a metal bowl, or another pan - this keeps the temperature from rising more. Set aside until below maybe 150° - not an essential temp, just safer to handle! I strain it into a widemouth pint mason jar, for storage.

French clarified butter is the sweet kind - just heated up, until it separates, then the milky stuff on the bottom can be removed with a baster, or something like that. Different flavors, but both good!

Last edited:
Ghee has a longer shelf life, with more water removed from the fat.

When I make ghee I just keep it in the cupboard to use, no need to put it in the fridge. Of course, if it's going to hang around for months, well, you might want to decide to keep it cooler (adn in a really hot summer too)

Ghee has a longer shelf life, with more water removed from the fat.

When I make ghee I just keep it in the cupboard to use, no need to put it in the fridge. Of course, if it's going to hang around for months, well, you might want to decide to keep it cooler (adn in a really hot summer too)

Yeah, it does keep for a while at room temperature. I learned, the hard way, that it doesn't keep for months and months that way. I had bought a 2 lb jar of ghee at an Indian store and about 3/4 of it went off. Oh well. At least I hadn't put in any effort and IIRC, it cost just a little more than two pounds of butter.

You’re welcome.

It seems like the milk solids would burn before 11 minutes. You can do the same thing in a sauce pan on the stovetop with a lower temperature and watch it more closely.

I didn't mention that I store my ghee in the fridge. I know that I don't use it fast enough to keep it at room temp! However, this was probably the reason ghee was developed - because there was no refrigeration originally, and it is still not everywhere that ghee is the fat of choice.

I bought some stainless steel cake pans. And a few other things I will post as I use them. I'm trying them out today.

cake_pans.jpg

I use to have the padded cloth handle covers for my CI skillets. They worked fine but tended to burn from time to time. A while back I ordered a couple of these red silicone handle covers. However, where the padded cloth ones get hot gradually, the silicone one get hot all at once. One second you're fine, then all of a sudden, the pan's too hot to handle.

I use to have the padded cloth handle covers for my CI skillets. They worked fine but tended to burn from time to time. A while back I ordered a couple of these red silicone handle covers. However, where the padded cloth ones get hot gradually, the silicone one get hot all at once. One second you're fine, then all of a sudden, the pan's too hot to handle.

Would the padded cloth handle covers fit over the silicone ones?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom