Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish they would put "All in the Family" reruns back on. Funniest show of all time. But i guess its not PC anymore.
I watch All in the Family, along with Barney Miller, Mary Tyler Moore, Hogan's Heroes and other shows on "ME TV". It's an over-the-air channel for me.

And it was never PC - but that was the point of the show.

I have not watched a network show in years. And football is way more important than some silly sit com. :LOL:

I wish they would put "All in the Family" reruns back on. Funniest show of all time. But i guess its not PC anymore.
But, the "Jefferson's" reruns are still on every day.
Does anyone get "All In The Family" anymore/

Yes, All In The Family is on right before Barny Miller. My 12 year old grandson was here and I watched one of the shows and he said, how could they let Archie talk like that. It was hard for me to explain.

I watch All in the Family, along with Barney Miller, Mary Tyler Moore, Hogan's Heroes and other shows on "ME TV". It's an over-the-air channel for me.

Agree. But Archie would not go over very well today as it did back in the day. I just have not seen it in a few years now and figured P Correctness could be the reason?
Another one i have not seen in ages is "The Honeymooners". Another very funny show!

Yes, All In The Family is on right before Barny Miller. My 12 year old grandson was here and I watched one of the shows and he said, how could they let Archie talk like that. It was hard for me to explain.

All I have is TV Land. I do not get any of those shows. I wish I could.
Yes, Archie was funny even thought he was a bigot.
He did have his nice side though.
He even let Sammie Davis Jr sit in his chair. How did you explain it?
I like Norman Lears shows.

Last edited:

The way I see it, Archie was never portrayed as a positive role model. In some ways he was a sympathetic character because deep down he had a good heart, but was ignorant in his words and actions. If you notice, on almost every episode there was a conflict of some sort, and the resolution usually showed Archie being in the wrong. Sometimes he learned a lesson, but more often it went right over his head.

Agree. But Archie would not go over very well today as it did back in the day. I just have not seen it in a few years now and figured P Correctness could be the reason?
Another one i have not seen in ages is "The Honeymooners". Another very funny show!

I think that they put that chair of Archie's in some museum in Washington DC.

The way I see it, Archie was never portrayed as a positive role model. In some ways he was a sympathetic character because deep down he had a good heart, but was ignorant in his words and actions. If you notice, on almost every episode there was a conflict of some sort, and the resolution usually showed Archie being in the wrong. Sometimes he learned a lesson, but more often it went right over his head.

I think you explained Archie perfectly. Thanks. I get these show on the Dish Network, on channel 232 RURAL. They also have Stanford and Son, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Fantasy Island and Charlies Angels.

I think you explained Archie perfectly. Thanks. I get these show on the Dish Network, on channel 232 RURAL. They also have Stanford and Son, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Fantasy Island and Charlies Angels.

De plane! De plane! And OH, THE DRAMA! :LOL:

The '70s were hilarious :ROFLMAO:

Yup, I see all these old shows on MeTV and Antenna TV.

i wonder if anyone today would have a problem with ralph kramden's perpetual threat of hitting his wife alice whenever he became frustrated by her?

i can see the protests already. :ermm:

archie bunker was obviously wrong with many of his views on things like race and gender. he was supposed to be a mirror to certain factions of the american public.

now, the smothers brothers had some real cajones, constantly thumbing their noses at the fcc.

i wonder if anyone today would have a problem with ralph kramden's perpetual threat of hitting his wife alice whenever he became frustrated by her?

Not only now, but then too Bucky. My Dad wouldn't have "The Honeymooners" on our TV because of the way that jerk treated Alice. I think Jackie Gleason was probably a jerk in real life too.

Last edited:
actually he was supposed to be a great guy. when i first started in television 27 years ago, the older directors and producers that i worked with/for were the young guys back in jackie gleason's day. and ernie kovacs, and lucille ball, and all of the stars of 50's and 60's tv.

they said gleason was a real gentleman and always treated everyone with respect right down to the facilities people (janitors). he would even invite the entire crew and their families to his house every summer for a bbq.

try to picture someone like david letterman doing that today.

About the same number of folks who would get after me for threatening to smother Shrek in his sleep.

Just saying that people would have fits over hearing me say that as they do hearing Ralph Kramden.

i never thought it was funny when he said that, having seen friends' moms being beaten, shortly before they were as i ran away.

other stuff gleason said or did was funny.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom