Maple Nut Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup HOT water
2 1/2 cups sifted pastry flour
2/3 tsp baking soda
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger

Cream shortening and sugar together, add eggs and syrup. Sift half dry ingredients into creamed mixture, add the hot water and blend. Sift remaining dry ingredients into mixture. Bake in two 9 inch layers at 350º for 90 minutes.

Walnut filling
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk beaten
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp vanilla

Simmer nuts in milk for 5 minutes. Combine sugar and flour and add to milk, stir until smooth and thick. Add egg yolk and cook for two minutes. Add vanilla at the end.

Maple Icing
1 egg white
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar

Combine in top of double boiler, beat with beater until stiff.

omg.

maple+walnuts+cake... damn, where's the equal sign.

well, suffice it to say that if you add a bit of chocolate or mocha in there, i'd be your slave. (ken wouldn't mnd, would he? lol )

Tell me what you think.

Sorry to say it will have to get in line behind the Chief's Pumpkin Crisp and the chocolate cream pie that's been requested for T'giving dinner. But I'll report back when the Maple Cake's name is called. I hope there will be feedback from others in the meantime. :chef:

Nope tinlizzie, I meant you! You replied and you drooled so you're the one I want to hear from. If the original asker posts, I'll want to hear about that too.

Buckytom, Ken would not even notice if there was a football game on! However, I suspect if there was a sporting event on TV you would no longer be my slave! ;)

We have nut allergies in the house so I don't use walnuts in this. I've smashed skor bar and used that. You have to make the icing and add the bits at the end though. That nicely ties in the chocolate bit for you BT.

I have another recipe that uses maple extract, but I figured I'd post the real deal first.

Nope tinlizzie, I meant you! You replied and you drooled so you're the one I want to hear from. If the original asker posts, I'll want to hear about that too.

Okey Dokey. And you'll no doubt be glad to hear that my drool reservoir is filled back up so I'll be ready for that next recipe, too.

I just now read through the recipe again -- is it really 90 minutes for 9" layer pans? I don't mean to doubt you, but that's a pretty long time.

Hmmm. That's what the recipe says, and honestly its years since I've made this so I can't really say otherwise. It IS way too long I think. I suspect its more like 30-40 minutes. I'd be checking at 30 myself.

I may have to make this now. I'm thinking maple and skor bits...mmmmmmmm.

Yes, of course - just keep an eye on it after about 30 mins. And keep the toothpick tester handy.

I adore Skor and the Heath bars I used to get. I don't buy many candy bars these days -- I tend to eat them, so I had to quit buying them.

I use AP. I just posted what the original recipe said. It is circa 1950 so I would imagine many things have changed since then!

Had a visit with the doctor today -- blood pressure & cholesterol are better, but blood sugar is creeping up. I've been advised to lay off the desserts for a while, so the Maple Nut Cake project will have to move to the back burner (along with a lot of Christmas cookies).

A question before I go: I've only about a tablespoon of maple syrup in the fridge. When I ramp up for the cake, what grade of syrup should I buy or does that matter at all? Thanks.

Does not matter a bit what grade you use. Let me know if you get to it. Good luck on the sugars.

Back
Top Bottom