Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliet325

Assistant Cook
I want to make meatballs with ground beef 1lb. How much dried thyme would it take to flavor it? Thanks

Instead of thyme, use dried basil. As Andy said, breadcrumbs, egg, and the ground beef will make a good meatball, but adding basil will make a great meatball! You can throw in some oregano if you like.

Instead of thyme, use dried basil. As Andy said, breadcrumbs, egg, and the ground beef will make a good meatball, but adding basil will make a great meatball! You can throw in some oregano if you like.
Assuming you're looking for an Italian flavored meatball.

Grated Italian cheese, fresh garlic and onions are also good to add if you want an Italian meatball.

What I was thinking about doing was meatballs in a gravy to surve over mashed potatoes. I would use all the usual ingredients. Thanks for all the replies. J

What I was thinking about doing was meatballs in a gravy to surve over mashed potatoes. I would use all the usual ingredients. Thanks for all the replies. J
I'd add some garlic and onion, grated cheese along with the usual meatball ingredients. Brown the meatballs thoroughly in a skillet then bake to finish cooking. Meanwhile, make a gravy in the skillet with the fond.

I'd add some garlic and onion, grated cheese along with the usual meatball ingredients. Brown the meatballs thoroughly in a skillet then bake to finish cooking. Meanwhile, make a gravy in the skillet with the fond.
Great minds.

Just thought I'd share my personal simple recipe for meatballs, whether you want to fry them or cook them in a tomato sauce.

For 4/5 portions:
500gr top quality beef mince
Breadcrumbs (about 100gr)
Grated parmesan
1 whole egg (or 2 if necessary)
Chopped garlic or garlic powder
Chopped fresh parsley or dried if you don't have fresh.
Salt and pepper

Just mix all ingredients together, form meatballs, size depends on your preference, I get about 16 meatballs from the above doses, it depends.
I make a tomato sauce, while it's cooking, pop in the meatballs, cook for about another 30/40 mins. Then I use the sauce for pasta (rigatoni o other medium-size short pasta, not spaghetti).

An all-in-one quick, easy two-course meal!

Yes, I agree with dr morbius, be careful adding your thyme. I love thyme but when there is too much it can ruin the dish.

I am of the opinion that a little thyme goes a long way. I certainly wouldn't overdo it; assuming you are adding other herbs and spices (I absolutely would), maybe half a teaspoon of thyme. Use too much thyme and you won't taste anything else.
Agree. Dried thyme can easily overpower.

Once you mix, take enough out for a couple of bites, fry it and taste. You can then add more seasonings if needed. Remember the old adage of you can always add more, but you can't take away.

I make my meatballs with 1 lb beef, 1/2 lb pork and 1/2 lb veal. My meatballs are basically made for Italian meals, so I substitute hot Italian sausage meat for the pork. That way you don't have to season the meatball mix.

I use shredded bread instead of bread crumbs, 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk, and salt & pepper. I form my meatballs using a 1/2 cup measure to make them consistent, and I braise them in tomato sauce for 45 minutes to cook them through. The shredded bread will absorb some of the braising sauce, making the meatballs even larger. I HATE dinky meatballs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom