Miniature Chocolate Eclairs (Alix, listen up!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Jasonr, fair point made. Here in the states, butter is sold in quarter-pound, separately-wrapped "sticks" within each box. Tis a colloquial term. In US measurements, a stick is 1/2 cup."

We have those too, but only Lantantia sells them. All the other brands I have seen either come in 1/2 pound or 1 pound blocks.

"WAIT A MINUTE! I used margarine instead of butter! Do you think THAT did it?"

OOPS. ;)

Total OOPS! I can only claim that my brain is mush from a couple weeks of absolute stress.

I will try it the right way this time.

Woo...that was over a year ago. Chances are darned good I made them hockey pucks again. LOL. Actually, I don't think I made them again. I believe I will try them again this weekend though. Its Madeleine's birthday party on Saturday, this might be a fun little alternative to cake. She is not a big cake person.

Please use butter this time, Alix. May work mo' bettah. That's the way I've always made them, so I don't know if margarine is the culprit or not, but I swear these are pretty easy.

Now that I think of it, I probably haven't made them in a year, either.

I'm going to give them a go for Saturday's party. Will fill some with whipped cream and some with the pudding. I'll report back.

How would ya'll go about making kahlua and different flavors like that?
Sam's warehouse has them in chocolate, strawberry and kahlua.

I think you would just put your flavouring in the whipped cream. Not sure though. I've never seen them in those flavours.

I used a cream puff recipe to make over 300 chicken salad filled puffs when my daughter got married. I froze the puffs before hand and filled them the day of the wedding. They were great. I still can't believe I made all the food for her reception. It would have cost a pretty penny, but was quite affordable with me doing all the work.

We don't have that in middle America, Alix. Would Jello custard pudding mix work?
Jello pretty well has the market covered here.

Last edited:
I obtained this recipe for cream puff filling from another food board and it is EXCELLENT ! Obviously a little calorie laden!! :rolleyes: You can substitute half and half for the heavy cream or chocolate instant pudding for the vanilla.The possibilities are endless...

FILLING FOR CREAM PUFFS

2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups heavy cream- DO NOT WHIP
1 cup milk
THAT'S IT!!
Directions:
Mix together by hand, vanilla instant pudding mix, cream and milk for about 2 minutes with a whisk. Cover and refrigerate to set. (that takes about 20 minutes at the most).
This is enough to fill about 20 small cream puffs and it tastes amazing.

Enjoy !

Constance said:
We don't have that in middle America, Alix. Would Jello custard pudding mix work?
Jello pretty well has the market covered here.

Yep, Jello pudding works. Once I get some more coffee in me I'll dig up the Jacques Torres recipe for pastry cream.

I'm back, Connie. here's the recipe, adapted from Jacques' version:

2 T cornstarch
scant 1/2 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
generous 2 cups milk
1 vanilla bean
1 T unsalted butter, optional

Sift cornstarch and half the sugar together, add egg yolks, whisk until thick and well blended.

heat milk and remaining sugar over medium high heat in a large saucepan (mix will gain volume while cooking, so a large pan is needed to prevent spillage while whisking. Cut vanilla bean in half and scrape out seeds - add seeds and skin to heating milk. Bring to boil.

Temper egg mix by pouring about half the milk into egg mix. Whisk to prevent eggs from scrambling. then pour tempered mixture back into saucepan with the rest of the milk. Keep whisking.

As the temp increases the mixture will thicken - it will get very thick just before it boils. Keep whisking once it boils and cook for another couple of minutes to cook out the starch flavor.

Take saucepan off the heat and strain pastry cream to remove any cooked egg and vanilla bean bits. Add butter now if you want to, stirring until it is incorporated.

Pour pastry cream into clean airtight container and place plastic wrap right on the surface to prevent skin forming. Cool at room temp, then refrigerate for up to 3 days. Add flavorings at any point in the process, but use small amounts and taste test as you go so it doesn't get too runny. Non-alcoholic-based flavorings should be added at the beginning.

We are having tea for a friend on Wednesday and I'm having trouble deciding between petit fours and the eclairs. I thought my mind was made up, but you ladies keep coming up with such tasty innovations - it has me confused. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom