Monday, September 11, 2023 - Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made two Indian dishes. One I learned back when I was a teenager. My friend's mom made us sandwiches to bring to the ball game. She knew I was a vegetarian, and told me I had nothing to worry about. She was Indian. She made a string bean/ potato dish that she out in-between 2 slices of bread. It was so good, that I still make it today. It's not the exact recipe, as I wasn't into cooking back then, so she just told me a few things that were in it. But now, over the years, I do my best to mimic what she made. Today I had it as a dish, not a sandwich . I also made a new dish from a blog I follow. The dish is called 'Punjabi Soya Chaap (Vegan Dhaba- Style Curry)'. Both were very good, and allowed me too used up some of the potatoes, strignbeans and tomatoes that I have too many of.

Attachments

• Stringbean 3 .png
    Stringbean 3 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Indian.png
    Indian.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I started some baby back ribs yesterday, in the sous vide. I'll finish them on the grill for tonight's dinner. I've just made some saucy beans and they will go into the oven soon. Finally, we'll have baked taters done in the air fryer. I'll set out some store bought BBQ sauces for the ribs as all they have now is a dry rub.

@larry_stewart I love string-beans, potatoes and tomatoes! Did your friend's mother serve it in roti? How close is your recipe?
I think it was white bread, but a roti would have been better. The recipe is similar, but not exact. I only had it once ( 40 + years ago). Main ingredients were string beans, potatoes and tomatoes. I add cumin, garam masala always. Sometimes ad amchur powder and fenugreek leaves in addition. Occasionally I'll throw garlic and/ or onions. The basic concept is potatoes and string beans in an Indian-flavored, tomato-based sauce.

When I asked her she mentioned she used paprika, but was not specific as to which paprika she used.

The sandwich was eaten at room temp.

I wish I got the specifics, but I never did.

The way I make it is:
- I cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick disks or half disks. I pre cook them ( usually in the microwave until cooked but not soft and mushy.
- Heat up some oil, lightly fry the potatoes til they get a little crispy, add the inch-cut long string beans , cumin and some salt.
- After a few minutes, I add the chopped tomatoes and cook them until they break down. (Want the tomatoes to break down but not the potatoes ).
- Towards the end I'll add the garam masala, fenugreek leaves , more salt if needed ( and sometimes a pinch of sugar), then let cool to room temp.
- Today we ate it as part of a main dish, so we ate it warm.
- If adding onions or garlic, I'd probably add them with the string beans.

Wish I could be more specific, but it's one of those things that I probably make a little different each time I make it.

Attachments

• smaller.png
    smaller.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • Stringbean 2.png
    Stringbean 2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • Stringbean 3 .png
    Stringbean 3 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
We have been doing nightshade elimination to see if nightshades bother DH's arthritis. The potatoes, either no skin or baby potatoes, didn't cause a reaction. So, yesterday we tried capsicums. Well, this morning DH had a very sore hip and it lasted a large part of the day, so back to no nightshades. That meant that I had to change my supper plans. I took the smashed potatoes off the menu and substituted tamari fried rice with corn and sesame seeds. The rest of the menu plan stayed the same: duck and pork sausages and a leafy salad with homemade blue cheese dressing. The sausages were okay. I can get better, so we won't be getting those again. The rest of the meal was really good and enjoyed by both of us. We had Mateus, a Portuguese rosé wine with that.

Duck and pork sausage, salad with blue cheese dressing, and tamari fried rice with corn 2.jpg
Duck and pork sausage, salad with blue cheese dressing, and tamari fried rice with corn.jpg

Made two Indian dishes. One I learned back when I was a teenager. My friend's mom made us sandwiches to bring to the ball game. She knew I was a vegetarian, and told me I had nothing to worry about. She was Indian. She made a string bean/ potato dish that she out in-between 2 slices of bread. It was so good, that I still make it today. It's not the exact recipe, as I wasn't into cooking back then, so she just told me a few things that were in it. But now, over the years, I do my best to mimic what she made. Today I had it as a dish, not a sandwich . I also made a new dish from a blog I follow. The dish is called 'Punjabi Soya Chaap (Vegan Dhaba- Style Curry)'. Both were very good, and allowed me too used up some of the potatoes, strignbeans and tomatoes that I have too many of.
The potato sandwich is interesting to me.

I did a little looking and was surprised to see several variations.

This is one basic example of Aloo Masala.

I think I’ll give it a go as a stand alone dish.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tom Kha Pla
Coconut and Galangal Soup with Barramundi and Oyster Mushrooms 🫠

IMG_0313.jpeg

Cook’s Notes:

This is the dish I was looking to get right last week. And just a few different ingredients and techniques made an enormous improvement.

Gone are the tasteless “fish” balls, replaced by super fresh barramundi, oyster mushrooms for texture and a good hit of galangal and coriander root and stems.

I replaced the over powering noodle side with just the simplest of jasmine rice and lime to garnish.

So very happy about this tonight - it’s exactly what I wanted to achieve!

The potato sandwich is interesting to me.

I did a little looking and was surprised to see several variations.

This is one basic example of Aloo Masala.

I think I’ll give it a go as a stand alone dish.

Thanks!
thank you Larry and thank you Aunt Bea
I have made note of this dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom