My Dad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone.

I haven't reported all weekend because I was either too busy with what was happening or too tired to even think.

Friday night I went up to see Dad. The plan was we would watch the Canuck's game and have dinner together. He was in his wheelchair when I arrived which he hasn't been much lately. Things went well during the first period and then started to slowly decline. He got tired, only had about 2oz of ensure and 4 oz of milk for dinner and I started to hear a bit of congestion in his chest.

He made it through the game and they put him to bed as soon as it was over. I left when he was settled and he was barely able to stay awake - this was over three hours.

I got a call at 10:30 pm that his oxygen levels were way down, he was having trouble breathing and he was extremely agitated. DH and I were there within 20 minutes and his condition had dropped considerably. I asked Dad if he wanted to go to the hospital (he was on a strict DNR which meant only keep him comfortable which he clearly was not). He said yes and I literally ran for the nurse to change the order and get an ambulance. My sister arrived as they were wheeling him out and we all walked across the street to emergency. He was already inside when we arrived and it was at least 30 minutes before we were allowed in.

I will shorten the detail now. My sister and I stayed until 3 in the morning. Dad has aspirating pneumonia - meaning he swallowed something into his lung and it infected. This is a risk we have been living with for two years now. He has been "eating at risk" on a modified puree diet. We have been told that this could be fatal but he wanted to eat rather than having a feeding tube. He is being kept at a much better level of comfortable and they are giving him anti-biotic but the chances of it working are fairly low. This is the highest level of care they can give him under his wishes. The doctor he has is awesome - we had her last time and her father and mine actually knew each other back in Saskatchewan.

On top of all of this we had to clean out his room at the convalescent care facility.

My sister is in denial, saying Dad has pulled through before and will probably remain in this state for months. I understand - he had pulled miracles before. I, on the other hand, are leaving the details to the One and taking it step by step.

I now have to make lists of things to do from deciding funeral arrangements, talking to the care-coordinator about putting Dad on the list for long term care should he need it, stopping services to the house as he won't be coming here any more (oxygen, lifeline, his phone), calling his friends, etc. At least I can do this at his bedside.

Thanks all for your words, prayers, encouragement. It is going a long way to get me through this.

Treating for comfort is always an appropriate option, I'm glad you understand that he will not fully recover to his prior baseline status. Your Dad's comfort and ease of breathing is of the utmost at this time.

As always, feel free to e-mail me with questions and any other assist I can provide. Love you!

Laurie, all this brings back so many memories for me. I remember well what you are going through and you and your family are most certainly in my prayers. I hope you know that down the road you will be able to stand tall and proud that you did everything possible on this earth for your Dad. It will be counted and not be forgotten. Sending many blessings...

Thanks everyone.

When I went up this afternoon to see Dad I was horrified to see him in a state of panic. He didn't know where he was, he was saying he keeps calling out but no one has come to see him in a week. He was just not making sense and was in a lot of pain.

I found out that the nurse had not given him his noon pain medication because a speech pathologist was coming to re-do a swallow test they couldn't do in the morning because he was too groggy. Then the nurse went to lunch. In the meantime the doctor talked to me and (like my sister and I figured), the antibiotics are not helping the aspiration pneumonia and were actually weakening him.

So, I had to make the very difficult decision to take him off all medication except the pain and sedative meds. He can't eat or drink anything and is just getting a saline drip. They are calling in the palliative doctor tomorrow to see if he can be moved there. We have no idea how long he will hold on, but my sister, DH and I are all comfortable with my decision - we can't stand to see him suffer anymore.

So, I have my cell phone with me all the time, am making a list of all the things I/we have to do and trying not to think that I basically signed my Dad's death. I hope he knows I did it out of love.

Thanks everyone.

When I went up this afternoon to see Dad I was horrified to see him in a state of panic. He didn't know where he was, he was saying he keeps calling out but no one has come to see him in a week. He was just not making sense and was in a lot of pain.

I found out that the nurse had not given him his noon pain medication because a speech pathologist was coming to re-do a swallow test they couldn't do in the morning because he was too groggy. Then the nurse went to lunch. In the meantime the doctor talked to me and (like my sister and I figured), the antibiotics are not helping the aspiration pneumonia and were actually weakening him.

So, I had to make the very difficult decision to take him off all medication except the pain and sedative meds. He can't eat or drink anything and is just getting a saline drip. They are calling in the palliative doctor tomorrow to see if he can be moved there. We have no idea how long he will hold on, but my sister, DH and I are all comfortable with my decision - we can't stand to see him suffer anymore.

So, I have my cell phone with me all the time, am making a list of all the things I/we have to do and trying not to think that I basically signed my Dad's death. I hope he knows I did it out of love.

We all know you have done everything out of love, Sweetie! Your Dad knows too, even though he can't say so right now. It is now time for His Reward. Love, Hugs and Prayers for all of you!

He knows you have done everything out of love sweetie. I wish I had the right words, but you know that I just went through this as well, and my heart is there with you all. We love you and are praying for you, as well as for comfort and peace for your dad.

Laurie, anytime you need to vent or have someone to talk to, there is always someone here who can't sleep, or is doing nothing.

Your father is very fortunate to have two daughters that are capable of making very difficult decisions out of love. He did an amazing job raising his daughters. You haven't signed his death, you have signed his release from pain and to take the next step to receive all the love he deserves.

If anyone has negative words to say to you, don't listen. They have not walked in your shoes. They do not have the pain in their heart that you have in yours.

Cling to your sister for support. Remember she is hurting also. On the way home, why don't the two of you find a church where you can just slip in and find some inner peace. It is amazing what a place of worship can do at a time like this. It doesn't have to be a place of your faith. God is everywhere. And mostly He is in your hurting heart. If you want to get angry at Him, go ahead. He heart is big enough to love you and forgive. If you want to cry, go ahead. He will put his arm arund you and hold you while he dries your tears. He will fill you with resolve to carry on to finish the mission He has given you. You did not make this decison alone. God was there with you and will stay with you as long as you need him.

Godd will bless you. Of that I have no doubt. And remember we are here for you any time of day and night. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks, Addie, Barbara and Fiona.

I am feeling a little more settled with the decision and got a chance to talk to a lady from our church who just lost her Mom to Cancer. She looked after her Mom much like I have Dad and we have also both found ourselves isolated from church and friends. We are going to keep in touch and that is such a great feeling.

Tomorrow I have my pain clinic and other than having my cell phone with me constantly, I am going to try to put it all aside for my time there. My sister is taking the day off to be with Dad and meet with the Palliative Care doctor so that is really great.

Another snag in things is my asthma has kicked into high gear and I had to go back on prednisone today. It always elevates my moods and gives me more insomnia than I already have. It is almost midnight here and I have to get up at 5 am. Hopefully I can get some sleep between.

Will do, LP. It's never easy. I lost my mom a year ago, and Dad is now 86, alone at the retirement home, and saying he is losing his interest in carrying on living. He doesn't want company, just wants to be left alone to ponder his life, where he might be going next etc....

My hubby and I still kidnap him once a week to take him out for a jaunt....but it's just a hard thing to watch, as you say. And it also gives us a glimpse of our own mortality - not easy.

Be well, stay strong....my prayers are with you also.

Your dad know Laurie. Don't ever doubt that. You show your love out in the open. It is not hidden. He can see that, but he also knows that because he knows you.

You are going through one of the most difficult things you ever will, but you are doing the right things even though they are so very difficult. Your dad is lucky to have you and I am sure he knows that!

Hi everyone.

This will be quick as I am on my net stick and don't have a lot of time on it. Dad has been moved to hospice about a half hour or so from our house but near my in-laws. I will be going home soon but will be staying with them for the weekend and will try and check in once in awhile.

Thanks for all your support. You are part of what is getting me through (along with faith and family).

Hi everyone.

This will be quick as I am on my net stick and don't have a lot of time on it. Dad has been moved to hospice about a half hour or so from our house but near my in-laws. I will be going home soon but will be staying with them for the weekend and will try and check in once in awhile.

Thanks for all your support. You are part of what is getting me through (along with faith and family).
Laurie, what you have done is a courage badge. You have not signed your Dad's death warrant--please don't feel that way--you have done what had to be done out of love. Your dad is pretty special to have someone love him as much as you do. And, that probably is a two-way street. You have put your dad first--as hard as it is for you. You have given your dad the greatest gift you could give him. My thoughts and prayers are with you--I know this has not been an easy road for you, but you've handled it with grace and dignity. Hold tight to your support network, friends, and family. You definitely most loved.

Any dad would be fortunate to have a daughter like you who cares so lovingly for her dad. There is no doubt he feels this love and it's important to him.

You all are in our thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom