My dog is on her last legs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodweed, so sorry that you lost Kaysee! We inherited two stray dogs besides 9 cats in our almost completed house in the countryside. Now it makes me cherish the dogs even more. Do take care of yourself and your family!

I believe that animals have a way of holding off the inevitable until their loved ones are with them. I have had two pets do that. I am so sorry and I know how sad you are. I planted a pear tree in honor of my doggy that passed away and somehow it still comforts me. I wish there was something I could do for you and your family. God Bless.

Ironic

carolelaine said:
I believe that animals have a way of holding off the inevitable until their loved ones are with them. I have had two pets do that. I am so sorry and I know how sad you are. I planted a pear tree in honor of my doggy that passed away and somehow it still comforts me. I wish there was something I could do for you and your family. God Bless.

I was just talking to a friend about this incident. Not only do pets do that but people supposedly do too. We were talking about our mothers passing on and she started telling me about the end. She said her mother told her to go on home that she (her mom) wanted to rest. My friend kept telling her mother she wasn't tired and wanted to stay. As she st epped away from the bed the mother could not see her and than shortly after that she passed. My own mother who had so many kids, seemed to wait until she had heard everyone and just 25-30 minutes after my last brother visit ed her bedside did she pass away. The only thing I know is if you take time and are aware of the time element you could be surprised too. Goodweed's dog couldn't of had a more pleasant way of leaving. The dog was with the two people who cared so much and he/she just felt at peace. I feel as long as you remember the time you had w/your pets they will always be around one way or another. As Goodweed said to just make sure you love your pets.

Last edited:
Goodweed of the North said:
Again, I thank all of you for your support. It turns out that the blockage was still there. She just kept the food in his stomach longer. She continued to get weaker by the hour. I called the vet to see if I could get her in during my lunch hour. He said to wait until 2:15. I picked up the dog and my wife. It was the first time ever that Kaysee wasn't standing at the door with her tail wagging. Even last night she had strength enough to show joyous expectation. But today, she just had nothing left. It's a seven minute drive from our house to the vets. She died on my wife's lap on the way there. I carried her to the car, and then into the vets.

Kaysee is in a great place. She was always a loyal and great dog. We will miss her.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I literally have tears in my eyes right now.:cry: I am so sorry for your loss GW. Yes, she is in a better place and no longer suffering. She will see you at the Rainbow Bridge (halfbaked's poem she posted on here) sometime. Until then, she is happy and waiting for you to come!! I am so sorry for your loss...:unhappy:just remember we are here to give you support when needed. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
God Bless.

GW, I'm so so sorry!! I wish there were something that I could do to help.
I know you said that you don't want another dog, that you can't replace Kaysee. That is so true, BUT, think of the joy and love that you gave her and what you could do for another dog that is sitting and waiting for someone to love. Your not replacing her, you spreading the love to another that desperately needs it. God Bless to you and your wife!!!

:) Amen to that Texas Girl.That how I feel if I can save one more after losing another than I will.No rush as they will come into your life at the right time.

Snoop Puss said:
Very sorry to read this, GW. I was really hoping things would work out OK for you. At least she was being cuddled by someone she loved at the end. Not much consolation for you, but I'm sure it was a comfort to her. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
I was thinking the same thing. She was safe in your wife's lap where she could die peacefully rather than on table in the vet's office. I'm sorry about the loss of Kaysee.

Barbara

Thanks everyone. We will miss her. I still see her as a pup, with so much power in her hind legs that the front of her body raised like a motorcycle doing a wheelie whenever she took off. She was a playful animal and wanted so much for someone to just play with her. I hope she has someone to play with her now. She loved attention of any kind.

She was truly like a three year old child, innocent, and never in a grumpy mood. I wish the same could be said of me. I've not lost the child within. It waxes strong on a daily bases. But I do get grumpy at times, especially if I'm tired.

Dogs desearve better freinds than we people usually are. They love us so completely, and often, aren't given anything in return in so many homes. I've seen dogs that spent their entire life chained to a tree, their only excitement, barking at passers-by. It breaks my heart to see animals that are neglected.

When I look at the loyalty of most people, it pales incomparison with the loyalty of a good dog. For all of our vaunted intelligence, dogs put most of us to shame.

Boy, am I ever melancholy right now. There are some very good people in this world, and most of them are right here on D.C.

Though we may never meet personally, we are a suprisingly strong community. I think the U.N. could take lessons.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:( Oh my good,good GoodWeed.I haven't any more to say as it has all has been said by so many.I hope it gives you some strength to carry on.And dont forget you gave her the best life she could have ever wished for and thats alot.But know we all are still with you and your sweet dog and know she really is ok.What a great send off to a dog we have never met and that we all feel so much compassion for, you ,your wife and of course mostly Kaycee.Hang in there guy.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss GW. I can't imagine what it's like to walk into the house without kaysee there. Very lonely indeed. I cannot imagine my life without our dog. I am so glad that your dog died in your wifes' arms.

So many things already said that I too wanted to say. I'm so sorry Goodweed for your loss:( . She was truely blessed to of had you to love her.

My father in law once told me "it hard to have dogs, they just don't live long enough." He's right but I've now had a few and every minute of their too short lives has been a blessing to us. May your blessing be as wonderful as our has.{ Our current blessing is 13 and I'm hoping this tail to her life is as great for her as the early part of hers was for us.}

Now, do we get another and watch its short life? Are the blessings worth the pain? I don't know.

Robt said:
My father in law once told me "it hard to have dogs, they just don't live long enough." He's right but I've now had a few and every minute of their too short lives has been a blessing to us. May your blessing be as wonderful as our has.{ Our current blessing is 13 and I'm hoping this tail to her life is as great for her as the early part of hers was for us.}

Now, do we get another and watch its short life? Are the blessings worth the pain? I don't know.

Is it worth knowing that your giving them a wonderful and loving life that they may not have had without you? There are too many out there that have horendous lives. We can only give them the love we have for them for as long as they are around. If you have it in you, give it to as many as you can while you are still on this earth.

I think that the cat we still ahve will give us joy for many years to come. I son't think I can get through the pain of losing another dog. I've cried serious tears on occasions from my boyhood, through to the present due to the death of various dogs that have been a part of my life. I'm a guy with a soft heart, very big on family and family values, with a deep respect for life. I have known the personalities of various animals and have witnessed a child-like innocence in the dogs I have owned.

We once had a dog, when I was about 10/11 years old. It was a beagle that had been mistreated by its previous owner. It growled and snapped at everyone as it was afraid of everyone. The animal was given to me to feed and water. Over the space of several weeks, I gained its trust. He would play with me, and allow me to pet him, though he would let no one else near.

To make a long story short, I tried to get my younager sister to pet him, erroniously believing that she would be as safe as I was. I was wrong. The dog snapped at her. It missed, but only because he was on a leash and she was out of reach. My step-father wouldn't allow me to keep such a dangerous animal and had him put down. It was the right thing to do, but it broke my heart just the same. It wasn't the dog's fault that he had been mistreated.

And then there was my first dog, Tuffy, a beagle born to one of our other beagles. He was playful and fun, and a joy for me as a boy. I came home from school one day to find that he had escaped from his pen and was hit by a car. That one hurt a lot too. And there have been others, just as prescious.

I want to be able to travel and do things, without having to find someone to take care of my dog. And I have no more kids in my home to spend the time playing with another animal the way they should be played with. And I've always got some activity going, be it fishing, or running the 3rd annual cardboard sled race in our town, or something with my church, or here on DC. Well, you get the picture. Plus, there has to be some time left over for DW.:)

So, I'll leave the puppies to someone who can give them the time they desearve. And again, thanks to all of you for your support. It was and is a blessing.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Robt said:

A saying:
The reason they have such short lives is because it doesn't take them as long to learn how to love.....

Goodweed, I'm not sure how I missed this. I was very busy last month and didn't get to DC as much as I like. I am so very sorry for your loss. Reading the posts I realize it's all been said as well. What a great group we have here at DC. I hope that you are experiencing some healing and peace at this time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom