My Instant Pot® Experience So Far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds terrific for the applesauce and I was seriously considering looking around. But even with the canning I use applesauce once in a blue moon.
So rather than open a jar I often just peel a single apple, quarter (or so), plop in a dish, zap in microwave (with a tiny bit of sugar-depending on apple) and have a warm serving of applesauce for my dinner.
Anything left over I have with a biscuit later on for a snack.

@blissful I use the IP all the time for dishes with dehydrated eggplant - the thing I dry most of. Usually I soak them first, since I can weight them in the containers, and they will soak faster, but sometimes I just throw them on top of things, before pressure cooking, if I'm going to be opening it, and adding another ingredient, and cooking again. Surprisingly, dehydrated EP keeps together fairly well, even when cooked for a while - fresh EP would fall apart, if cooked that long.

As for the size of the IP, I would recommend the 6 qt size, unless you are cooking for a large family. The 6 qt you can cook smaller amounts of rice, and other whole grains in, while the 8 qt is too broad for smaller amounts. And for 2 people, the 6 qt filled halfway, is more than two meals, and even more can be made, of non-legume things - like any pressure cooker, anything prone to possibly foaming, should only be filled halfway. But even 3 qts is a lot of legumes! And the thing I like about the IP, compared to using a PC on a regular burner, is you can set it, and walk away - for the most part. Regular PCs you have to adjust the heat, just high enough to keep it "making noise" (whatever kind it is), and set a timer, to go back, and this does it automatically, reducing the heat to a keep warm mode, if I'm still out in the garden. :LOL:

@dragnlaw that's why I like putting up those little 1/4 C. jars. Just a bit and no waste.
Normally, I'm in your camp, simply nuke a diced Apple for one serving, but with 23 pounds of Apples .... I figure too that should the World go to :poop: I can use that as barter... and yes, here in Cowboyville they do barter and trade.

yeah, 23 lbs is a bit much for one serving. :LOL:
Hate to sound like a broken record, but were I on the farm I would can them quick as a wink. They would not have gone to waste.

Well, at first I was shocked, then surmised that it was because the product was too perfect, LOL!
But now, having read the article - am of several opinions but am not converse enough of the business world to really state much.
I think when all is said and done, the bottom line is all that money spent on R & D was grossly negligent of the future. Someone, somewhere should have seen that. Such a diverse company, to allow all of them to be dragged down by one, just doesn't make sense.

Does it all boil down to greed? ... again? .. as per usual?
JMHO

FYI, the USDA has not approved any electronic pressure cookers as safe for water-bath canning.
Burning Issue: Canning in Electric Multi-Cookers
Should I can in my electric multi-cooker appliance?

Even if there are instructions for pressure canning in the manufacturer’s directions, we do not support the use of the USDA canning processes in the electric, multi-cooker appliances now containing "canning" or "steam canning" buttons on their front panels. Our pressure process directions have not been developed for that type of appliance, and the canner being used does matter. Our recommendations were determined for stovetop pressure canners which hold four or more quart-size jars standing upright.

FYI, the USDA has not approved any electronic pressure cookers as safe for water-bath canning.
Are you saying that it wouldn't be safe to water bath can in a pot that hasn't be specifically approved for canning by the USDA? I can understand that for pressure canning and for steam canning, but not for water bath canning. In terms of water bath canning, if the water in an Instant pot can cover the jars by the required inch or two, what would be the problem? Knowing when the water came to a boil for proper timing?

I'm asking the same question taxy. Not having an IP it is hard for me to visualize but don't most of them have glass lids? and even if not, water bath pots don't either, only way to know is to look. If it can hold that boil for the required 10-15-20 minutes, I should not think it matters.
I believe wording is a problem here. People have a tendency to say "canning" and not specify 'pressure', 'steam'. 'water bath',. The wording may start out correct but because people want to take a shortcut they will drop the all important word assuming everyone knows if you've changed methods.

GG’s article was about pressure canning, not water bath canning. Pressure cookers should not be used for pressure canning.

except GG specifically stated water-bath canning. Egro, I assumed, perhaps wrongly that was included in the article. Yes, I already understood they were saying it is not approved for pressure canning.

another question might be - "Is it not approved for pressure canning simply because they have not tested it? or have they tested it?"

Another problem with using these things for canning, even water bath or steam canning, is the depth - about all you can do with a 6 qt one, FI, is 1 c jars, or smaller. I put 4 pint jars in for yogurt, but that's sitting on the bottom of the pot, and they barely fit - I wouldn't can anything in it that had to be sealed, even water bath canning. Of course, there are larger ones (though they still aren't that much deeper), and there are electric models that are made by brands specifically for canning.

I'm asking the same question taxy. Not having an IP it is hard for me to visualize but don't most of them have glass lids? and even if not, water bath pots don't either, only way to know is to look. If it can hold that boil for the required 10-15-20 minutes, I should not think it matters.
This is the question - whether the IP maintains a rolling boil for the entire time it needs to. Apparently it cycles up and down, so some models can maintain it and some can't. This method has not been tested by the USDA, so they don't recommend it, but some people use it anyway, relying on their own experience and judgment.
I believe wording is a problem here. People have a tendency to say "canning" and not specify 'pressure', 'steam'. 'water bath',. The wording may start out correct but because people want to take a shortcut they will drop the all important word assuming everyone knows if you've changed methods.
This is certainly true.

Back
Top Bottom