Need computer setup help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can reinstall an earlier version of Windows. Here are instructions for doing that. Hope this helps.

How to reinstall Windows like a pro | PCWorld

Hey, Chief. It's likely that a setting in the Windows registry could be causing your problem with Yahoo. I've been using a utility called Crap Cleaner for years to fix things like that. It does a lot of other great maintenance stuff, too - and it's free! :) Hope it helps.

CCleaner - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Thank you I will check both of these.

We installed win 10 on our desktop and now my DD can't play a game she paid for any more. It says we need to update the graphics driver but windows won't let us. SOOOOOOOOOOO I really don't see anything so great about win10 ..... I have some questions:
1- how do I completely uninstall it? Without losing any data on my PC.
2 - I did a search on my laptop for the file you referenced above and found 24 items all file names starting with "package_1_for_KB3035583..." or just "package_for_KB3035583..." either ending with .cat or .mum. Should I delete ALL of the 24 items.

Heres what I would do if your absolutely sure you don't want win10 and you don't mind restoring your system. Do you have the CD's that came with the system? The windows platform CD? The versions like win7 or win8?

1) back up anything important to CD or to an external drive.
2) Shut down PC and restart using the boot function displayed in the opening DOS screen. Usually F8 or F12. Depending on manufacturer.
3) Insert CD when prompted and follow on screen instructions.
4) Try choosing "mirror image restore" first. This will bring your PC back to the original configuration. Like when you first turned it on.

You will now have to restore any files you saved, reinstall your internet connection and sign back in to any web based email accounts. If you use Outlook, you will need to reinstall from your "Office" disk.
You will now have a computer as it was when you first bought it.
Note: this is a big job and be ready to spend several hours getting everything back the way you want it. You will also have to download and install all the updates all over again. Make sure updates are set to alert you to their availability. "Tell me when updates are ready to be downloaded but let me choose wether to download and to install them"!
Do not allow automatic updates as you might accidentally install win 10 and KB3035583 all over again.
Then you must be vigilant about not downloading KB3035583 and the actual win10 update.

Another question. Does this evil Win 10 automatically install? I rarely use my desktop, preferring my iPad, but when I do log in on the desktop, it always has a bunch of stuff it automatically installs, and doesn't tell me what it's installing.

No, it comes from two fronts. The first is update KB3035583, then the actual win10 download and install.
You must set the the windows download to only alert you to updates. You want to be able to see what you are downloading before the system does it for you.

Windows 7 update patch ending in 5583 will put an annoying prompt in your system tray to upgrade to windows 10. That's all that patch is for...to prompt you to upgrade Windows 10.

Right. This is how you know that you have downloaded and installed KB3035583.
If you see the win10 icon in the system tray, its telling you you have prepared the PC for the win 10 download.
Removing this is easy as it can be deleted from "installed updates".

I installed GWX control panel and it has gotten rid of the annoying pop ups.

But I read on a forum that I can NEVER go back to my original OS on my desktop since I installed win10 over a month ago. Even if I have a restore disk. Not sure if that's true. If it is Microsoft has some damn nerve!!

I'm not 100% certain, but I am 100% certain I can restore my PC to factory settings.
I explained above how to restore your system to factory defaults. In my wife's case, that would be win7 exactly how it was day one.
Be sure to keep copies of your documents and other things you do not want to lose.
I have done this to my PC tree times since 2009. Its easy and you basically get a new PC. And to be quite honest, it helps you too see what actually important and whats not.

Last edited:
Update; I've tried everything that has been suggested and I still can't use my Outlook voicemail. I think I will have to delete Word, and re-download it. What a pain this is. Also, still can't get Google to come up as my home page. Yahoo forces itself onto my screen. Thanks for trying though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Have you looked under view/toolbars to see if you have an active Yahoo toolbar that keeps resetting your home page? If you do and it's clicked, try unclicking it and see if that works after a restart.

Alternatively, under 3 dots or 3 lines, click options/search and see what that shows and make appropriate changes.

I don't think you ever wrote what browser(s) you are using.

You can also try in internet explorer Tools>Manage Add-Ons>Toolbars and extensions ... You can disable/enable add-ons and in search providers tab set default search providers from there

Last edited:
Heres what I would do if your absolutely sure you don't want win10 and you don't mind restoring your system. Do you have the CD's that came with the system? The windows platform CD? The versions like win7 or win8?

1) back up anything important to CD or to an external drive.
2) Shut down PC and restart using the boot function displayed in the opening DOS screen. Usually F8 or F12. Depending on manufacturer.
3) Insert CD when prompted and follow on screen instructions.
4) Try choosing "mirror image restore" first. This will bring your PC back to the original configuration. Like when you first turned it on.

You will now have to restore any files you saved, reinstall your internet connection and sign back in to any web based email accounts. If you use Outlook, you will need to reinstall from your "Office" disk.
You will now have a computer as it was when you first bought it.
Note: this is a big job and be ready to spend several hours getting everything back the way you want it. You will also have to download and install all the updates all over again. Make sure updates are set to alert you to their availability. "Tell me when updates are ready to be downloaded but let me choose wether to download and to install them"!
Do not allow automatic updates as you might accidentally install win 10 and KB3035583 all over again.
Then you must be vigilant about not downloading KB3035583 and the actual win10 update.

No, it comes from two fronts. The first is update KB3035583, then the actual win10 download and install.
You must set the the windows download to only alert you to updates. You want to be able to see what you are downloading before the system does it for you.

Right. This is how you know that you have downloaded and installed KB3035583.
If you see the win10 icon in the system tray, its telling you you have prepared the PC for the win 10 download.
Removing this is easy as it can be deleted from "installed updates".

I'm not 100% certain, but I am 100% certain I can restore my PC to factory settings.
I explained above how to restore your system to factory defaults. In my wife's case, that would be win7 exactly how it was day one.
Be sure to keep copies of your documents and other things you do not want to lose.
I have done this to my PC tree times since 2009. Its easy and you basically get a new PC. And to be quite honest, it helps you too see what actually important and whats not.

I have done many clean/ complete system reinstalls back to factory. I do it often to purge all the unwanted crap on my PC's that are hidden in registry etc. But on another forum I read once you install Win10 after 1 month the licenses are changed to win10 and you can never go back.

I have an HP laptop and Lenovo desktop and neither came with restore disks. Now they make you create your own. What a pain in the tuchus! The HP win7 was done with CD's the Lenovo makes you use a 32GB flash drive. It's the Lenovo Desktop I want to revert (I don't think I deleted the Recovery (D:) partition). I also have both on home network and I back stuff up to 2nd drive (1 TB) on the Lenovo.

I got fed up with the install Windows 10 pops ups on my Win7 laptop that I installed GWX_control_panel.exe and I haven't seen the pop ups.

OH BTW I did a search on my laptop for the file you referenced above and found 24 items all file names starting with "package_1_for_KB3035583..." or just "package_for_KB3035583..." either ending with .cat or .mum extension. Should I delete ALL of the 24 items? AND do I delete them from the search box or someplace else?

BTW Thank you everyone so much for the help/suggestions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom