Need opinions on Italian menu plan for birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, not sure if anyone is following along but I did some research last night (got to love the internet) and I decided on this. First let me explain that usually we'll have a bunch of appetizers like dips and chips and assortment of olives and cheeses, pepporonis ect.

So instead of doing that, I'm having a small assortment of hot appetizers when they first arrive. I'm usually skeptical of hot - because they cool down fast and sometimes people don't walk in the door and immediately start eating. Anyways:

Assortment of hot appetizers will be a bagna cauda dip with raw veggies for dipping, risotto balls and little stuffed mushrooms stuffed with italian sausage. I won't make a lot of each.

Dinner will be Arrosto di Maiale alle Erbe (Pork Roast with Herbs), Italian Potatoe Wedges and Carotine al Burro (buttered sauteed baby carrots).

Still decided on desert.

On Friday I'll be making the Risotto. The day before the party (party is Sunday)...I'll be making the stuffed mushrooms but not broiling them and the dip. Saturday morning I'm making the risotto balls (but not frying them) and I'm going to season the pork loin.

Than the rest will be done as it gets closer to when they are coming.

Well, you're reaching critical hour now. How's it going?

Well, you're reaching critical hour now. How's it going?

Stuffed mushrooms are made = just need to be broiled. There was TONS of stuffing left after I filled the mushrooms. You don't get a lot of room after taking the stems off.

Rissotto is made. Risotto Milanese. Only dilemma I have with this, is today I went to a party with the friends I grew up with. I made Hoisin Wings which was a big hit and Risotto balls to test them out. They have a LOT of moisture in them and it's hard to keep them together when there is so much moisture. I also didn't put the cheese in the middle and I think I should tomorrow.

Made the Cauda Bagna, but it's rather oily and I don't think I'll serve it with raw veggies, but with italian baquettes.

I think I'm making the sauteed buttered baby carrots tomorrow early and than just reheating them in microwave when pork roast is done.

The rest of the work is tomorrow.''

Oh and Italian Almond Cake is done. Going to do a chocolate ganashe glaze thats made with chocolate chips and heavy cream. Followed advise to just leave it out on counter covered. Wondering how far in advance I can make this glaze and pour it on the cake.

Made the Cauda Bagna, but it's rather oily and I don't think I'll serve it with raw veggies, but with italian baquettes.

Of course, the Bagna Cauda is oily! It's mostly olive oil! and please serve it with the veggies. You have a lot of starch in your menu already. and the veggies are a taste and texture counterpoint to the rich, oily mixture.

I just wanted to add that this thread was a lot of fun to read. Thanks everyone for the wonderful menu ideas. I loved contemplating the meals you suggested.

Stuffed mushrooms are made = just need to be broiled. There was TONS of stuffing left after I filled the mushrooms. You don't get a lot of room after taking the stems off.

Rissotto is made. Risotto Milanese. Only dilemma I have with this, is today I went to a party with the friends I grew up with. I made Hoisin Wings which was a big hit and Risotto balls to test them out. They have a LOT of moisture in them and it's hard to keep them together when there is so much moisture. I also didn't put the cheese in the middle and I think I should tomorrow.

I think I'm making the sauteed buttered baby carrots tomorrow early and than just reheating them in microwave when pork roast is done.

The rest of the work is tomorrow.''

Oh and Italian Almond Cake is done. Going to do a chocolate ganashe glaze thats made with chocolate chips and heavy cream. Followed advise to just leave it out on counter covered. Wondering how far in advance I can make this glaze and pour it on the cake.

After all the advice, suggestions, ideas and comments, I think we all feel a part of this dinner party so PLEASE be sure to give us a blow by blow account with pictures if you can.

Oh I so wish I thought of taking pictures because I definetely would of : ).

Since I tested the Risotto balls the day before with friends, this time I mixed the risotto with some breadcrumbs and than formed into balls dipping them into flour, egg and than breadcrumbs. Than I let sit in the refrigerator for awhile. I also put a little piece of Mozzerella in each one. Everyone LOVED them. I only made a small batch. They were ready as soon as they walked in.

We have an island so the appetizers were served on that with small dishes. My mom raved about the Risotto balls. Most everyone, except step dad loved the Bagna Cauda Dip. Used soft italian baguettes cut into small pieces. I know I probably should of done the veggies. : (. I just thought it would be too messy.

The stuffed mushrooms were good. Took a little longer to cook than I expected. I made the stuffing on Friday and stuffed them so I just had to throw them into the broiler.

The dinner was excellent. The pork roast cooked a lot faster than I thought and ended up being more well done than it should of been. But still good. I was very disappointed about that one. The last 3 roasts I've cooked have been practically perfect. I cooked it in the dutch oven on top of the stove "have recipe and tried it before", but time just got ahead of me and I took its temperature and I was like oh mannnnn. Luckily it stayed hot wrapped in tin foil and I just so so love how the gravy is all done in the dutch oven and all I had to do was add a combo of cornstarch and water. Nice DARK color too from searing the roast and letting wine evaporate at a high heat on the stove, pouring some homemade broth in and cooking it on low until finished. I roasted a chicken earlier that week, and although a small one - the next day I used the bones to make a small batch of chicken stock. I never do that - so this dinner was very special "lol".

The potatoe wedges were awesome and the buttered sauteed carrots were great. I made the carrots ahead of time and than just microwaved them at the end.

I made homemade chocolate ganashe with heavy cream and chocolate chips. The cake was a bit different and no body said much about it "lol". I did read some people said it can be a little dry. It's made with cake flour, sour cream, almond paste (a good amount), lots of eggs and egg yolks and a few other things.

My mom said I really didn't need to go through all that work (as I've been working on making things and preparing/cooking since Friday).But I was glad that I did it and I like impressing people.

I wrote out things I was going to do today in stages.

Timing got a little ruined because of the Pork being done way before I thought, but worked out because my brother was late and my mom, stepdad, myself and husband got to enjoy the appetizers.

So glad your dinner went well. I knew it would since you seemed to put a lot of thought and effort into it Aren't Arancini (risotto balls) terrific? They take some time and work but they're soooo worth it. Good for you. When's your next dinner party? :rolleyes:

I usually try to have one for moms birthday, dads birthday, fathers day, mothers day and sometimes my husbands parents birthday "same month". This year we are going out to eat and to a comedy show for there birthday.

Back
Top Bottom