New to Canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvangel

Assistant Cook
Hi, My husband and I are new to canning. We did our first canning of green beans tonight. He was wanting to use the vacume sealer after the jars can out of the canner. I didn't know if that would be ok. He also said that he read somewhere that you can cook the green beans and then put them in the jar and use the vacume sealer onthem and they will last a year. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone please help me and give me some advice on weather or not to use the vacume sealer after the jars come out of the canner. Thank you very much, Tanya

I have been canning for years and I have never heard of using a vacuum sealer on jars. After removing them from the canner, as they cool, you should hear a pop as the lids are sucked down, creating a vacuum within the jar. If you press on the lids once they are cool there should be no "play" on the lid. If it didn't seal properly, refrigerate and use within 5 days. If it did seal properly store in a cool dark place, and it will last for years.

Tanya - green beans are a low acid food and MUST be processed in a PRESSURE CANNER!!! The jars will form a vacuum when properly processed.

If you are making "freezer" green beans ... then just blanch them, freeze them on a sheet tray, and then pack and store them in vacuum freezer bags. Cooking and storing in a freezer safe jar is, IMHO, excessive overkill since you obviously have a vacuum sealer (the bags are cheaper than the jars and off you the option of "boiling pouch" or "microwaveable" that glass jars will not.

Using either the Hot or Raw pack method for green beans only processed in a boiling water canner will not be safe to eat - although they will form a vacuum seal on the lid without the vacuum sealer - and using the vacuum sealer will not make them safe to eat even a week later, much less a year later. If you used a pressure canner - there is no need to use the vacuum sealer - read and follow the instructions for canning green beans

It's kind of a mantra on this forum ... get the Ball Blue Book of Preserving as a minumum starters guide ($5)- or the new and just released Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving about $14 (you can sometimes find these in bookstores or at Wal-Mart) but the online sources are generally the most reliable sources. Yes, you can sometimes find them on ebay ... they tend to be the older outdated versions ...

Another resource is provided by the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) at the National Center for Home Food Preservation. You can find loads of information online for free, take a course for free, buy CD's if you want, etc.

Hope this gives you some information to make your food preservation experience safer.

Michael, here I am browsing this area because canning is one thing that I've always wanted to learn but am downright phobic about ... and just as I'm thinking "hey, maybe I can do this" I read your thread and I'm back to square one.

Wherever it was that I initially read the warning about how one can't see it or smell it but it (botulism?) can kill you, I've been out of this game. Tried all sorts of other types of cooking and don't have phobias about things other people are scared of (making pastry, for instance) but canning sends shivers up my spine!

But! I really MISS things like the homemade chili sauce and the homemade watermelon rind pickles that my relatives made and that made my childhood all that richer.

Does anybody have some soothing words to help me get over this?!

Continuation of my previous post:

I've gone into the recommended USDA site and am browsing (intimidated, but holding tight) but one question's come up:

Is a "pressure canner" different than a regular "pressure cooker"? I have the latter (Fissler) but not sure if that's what's meant. Does anyone know?

No, wait! Help please!

I realize with this post any logical person would reply by saying "well, nobody's FORCING you, dear!" but I'll continue anyways.

Just hit the "detoxification process" on the same site and now I'm REALLY scared! Dang, this is like nuclear waste handling!

Obviously, I'm not a born, natural canner, am I? All the usual enjoyment and relaxation I get out of cooking looks to be flying out the window if I take up canning. I'll probably have the world's first canning-induced ulcer or breakdown ...

Is there hope? Will I have to just continue to buy my Sharwood's Mango Chutney rather than making my own one day?

Last edited:
A regular pressure cooker is basically too small for canning, but it is the same principal.
Michael is right on about green beans and canning. The FoodSaver part of the OP's post is a melange of preserving ideas. YOu can using heat and pressure (maybe). You can freeze green beans by blanching them in hot water and then sealing in the FoodSaver and freezing.
And while jars may seal properly (the pop of the seal and the dull sound on the lid) it is no assurance that the product has been safely processed at sufficient heat to kill spores of botulinum in non-acid foods.
There are things that can be done in a water bath if they contain sufficient acid or sugar which also act as preservatives. Jams and jellies do not actually require any processing at all--put in dishwasher clean jars and cap with boiled tops.
Tomatoes can also be canned in a water bath if sufficient acid is added.

I'm freezing green beans now and I'm doing what was mentioned above. Blanching then freezing on a tray and then vacume seal in bags. Canning takes to long using the hot water bath and I don't own a pressure cooker large enough to do several pints. They turn out great freezing them.

Ayrton said:
Does anybody have some soothing words to help me get over this?!
Yes I have some soothing words for you. Get the Ball Blue Book as Michael mentioned and read it. The important stuff is in the beginning of the book and will not take you long to read. It will spell out exactly what you need to do to be safe.

Canning is not difficult at all. there are a number of steps, but they are easy steps to get right. Just follow the instructions in the Ball Blue Book.

Canning can sound scary, but so can anything else. If you do not treat food properly (canning or not) then you can hurt or kill yourself. Once you know the rules though then you have nothing to worry about as long as you follow them.

Do not be afraid of canning, seriously. I know it can be intimidating at first, but once you read the Ball Blue Book all of your questions will be answered and you will see how really simple it is to get it right.

wvangel said:
He also said that he read somewhere that you can cook the green beans and then put them in the jar and use the vacuum sealer onthem and they will last a year. Is there any truth to this?
No this is completely false. I do not know which vacuum sealer you own, but if you have the Tillia Foodsaver then read the instructions that came with it. They specifically say that vacuum packing is NOT a substitute for canning.

Once you can something there is no need to vacuum pack it. The vacuum packing systems work by removing most of the air from around the food. Canning will remove all (I believe) of the air. vacuum packing after canning would really not do anything at all.

Thank you

I would like to thank you all for your help on this issue. I went out and got the book this morning and read it. I will can without the vacume sealer, as I no that it wouldn't help and that they will seal fine on there own in a canner. I also plan on blanching and freezing some green beans for certian dishes. Thank you again for all of your help. Tanya

Ayrton, canning is great fun and really, really satisfying--nothing like looking a row of jars full of good food, and knowing that you did it yourself.

Call your local extension office. They may be planning a canning class--I know we do them here once every few years.

This link http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html will help you find your local office.

Also--if you want a canning buddy to help walk you thru the process--pm me. I would be glad to help.

Ayrton, if I made you nervous enough to spend some time reading about how to safely can food the proper way ... then I am glad I did. People need to be aware that there are consequences for not doing it right.

On the other hand - it's not that difficult to do properly once you know what the rules are. When you started learning to drive a car you learned certain safety rules to make you a safer driver, and had to take a test to demonstrate that you had an understanding of those rules and skills - canning is about the same. It's all about knowing the rules and following them. When you were learning to drive you probably got a book from your Department of Motor Vehicles explaining the rules - in canning we have the Ball Blue Book.

A pressure cooker and a pressure canner (sometimes called a canner/cooker) are essentially the same thing - except for the size. Some pressure cookers can only handle 4-5 pints for canning - while a small pressure canner can generally handle 5 quarts or 8-10 pints (depending on the rack they have). You just need to read the specs on the pot you want to purchase.

We have options for food preservation that our grandmothers did have 50 years ago ... like vacuum packaging and freezing - which can be a better option for some things.

What was it that you wanted to can? We have a bunch of knowledgeable canners and food preservationists in here ... and we're always happy to help.

Last edited:
Good morning and THANKS, especially to GB, Michael, and Sparrowgrass.

Sparrowgrass, thanks for offering to hold my hand -- I may take you up on that! As for your suggestion to contact my local extension office, no can do as I reside in Greece.

GB, I hear you about the Ball Blue Book, as I'd heard Michael. I'll arrange to order it and ship it here if one of you would be kind enough to confirm that it actually has vital information that the USDA site doesn't have (I was impressed by that site and did download all the Acrobat files that represent their complete guide).

Michael, your analogy regarding driving was EXACTLY what I was looking for and I'm going to hold on to that. I learned to drive and I love to drive, so ... I'll learn to can and I'll just betcha I'll love it! (Other people scale high mountains to surpass their personal limits ... I plan to conquer canning.)

As for what I want to can: relatively few things come to mind immediately since for years I've just nixed the idea out of fear. Those I mentioned already (chili sauce; watermelon pickles; mango chutney). If I think more about it, I suppose some other childhood favorites that I can't easily/cheaply do here in Greece would be good: apple butter maybe?

I'm not interested in plain ol' veggies as I'll freeze or just stick to seasonal.

Whether it fits technically into "canning" or not, I admit I'm interested also in learning to corn beef and make sourkraut (sp?). Know anyone with expertise in that area?

Again, thank you. I really look forward to receiving your guidance! Now let me run out and check my local market for a proper pressure canner (thanks also, Michael, for clarifying the differences) and canning jars ...

Just an "FYI" post for any European-based folk who might be browsing this thread:

"Canning" isn't the term to use here, evidently "preserving" is the English term in Europe. My Google searches improved greatly once I realized this!

Seems the Ball type of jar exists over here from two major manufacturers: the Italian Bormioli Rocco and the German Leifheit (another, "Le Parfait", appears to have only the glass clamp-type top jars). I'm pretty sure it's the Bormioli that I've seen here in Greece.

Bormioli's canning (sorry -- preserving!) jars are under the wing of their "Quattro Stagioni" product group. Within are the usual array, plus a jar -- or rather, bottle -- which appears to be unique to them: their "passata" bottle which is very much like an old-fashioned milk bottle. (I freeze my "passata" in ice-cube trays, but I suppose it's potentially nice to know they offer this bottle if I become a canning-maniac.)

That's it thus far!

Sorry, Ayrton, didn't realize you were so far away--offer still holds to help you, if you like.

The USDA site should have all you need, but the Ball Blue Book is convenient, lots of pictures, lots of recipes.

If you are going to start out with chili sauce, watermelon pickles, and mango chutney, you don't really need a pressure canner--you can use a water bath canner for all of those, because of the vinegar/sugar included in the recipes. Your water bath canner needs to be large and deep enough to cover the jars with an inch or 2 of water, at a rolling boil.

It doesn't have to be to be a heavy pan--cheap aluminum or porcelain coated steel will work-- but if you already have a big stock pot, that will work .

Sparrowgrass, good morning. I have a question or two if you please (and the hand-holding begins ...):

Have just been looking closely at the .pdf's from the USDA site and one issue kept popping up, namely, that they recommend you use VERY specific recipes and ingredients so that things stay "safe."

Another recommendation was also to use only bottled lemon juice rather than fresh.

Well, as for the first instruction, my immediate reaction is that it takes much of the potential fun out of the whole thing: so everybody who cans is using THE same recipes (or they're dead)? How boring!

As for the second, while I have three lemon trees in my back yard, I couldn't get ahold of bottled lemon juice even if I held the supermarket up at gunpoint. Just doesn't exist. So am I doomed?

I guess I'd like to know how much real, honest-to-gosh canners are following these recipes exactly? The basic procedures I've already commited to following to the letter, but the recipes? I mean, elsewhere on this site I've sought some chutney and relish recipes and already received some that sound just great. Does this mean because they're not USDA-approved that I should disregard them?

Piffle, if so!

Last edited:
OK--here is MY answer (definitely not the USDA or Extension answer).

Yes, you can tweak recipes, but just a little. Acidity and sugar content are important because both of those inhibit bacterial growth, especially if you are waterbath canning. If you want to add or subtract spices--go for it, that won't make any difference. If you decide you want your jam to be sugar free and you leave out all the sugar, you could very well have problems with spoilage or food poisoning.

If you pressure can your recipes, you have a bit more leeway. (Because the temp is higher than 212, and more likely to kill the bacteria.)

As a beginner, I would follow the recipes pretty much as written.

I wouldn't worry about subbing fresh lemon juice for bottled. I wouldn't use bottled lemon juice on a bet, in anything.

There will be some natural variation in any recipe--my fruit may be riper or greener, sweeter or tarter, or more or less watery than yours.

Just one more thing to worry about--are you above 1000 feet? You have to add processing time if you are, or use a higher pressure in the pressure canner.

Post your recipe, and I will forward it to our nutrition person and ask her opinion on the "cannability" of it. (I don't think the work "cannability" is going to catch on. Sounds a little gruesome.)

Using bottled lemon juice is a way for the canning company to protect themselves by assuring a known acidity. I wouldn't worry about using fresh.
Chutney and watermelon rind pickles do not require pressure canning--water bath is sufficient.

Good morning, everyone -- and thanks again for your input.

As of last evening, I now own four half-liter Bormioli canning jars which is just what my pressure cooker will hold in one go. That means I'm ready!

Sparrowgrass, my watermelon pickle recipe is below. It's a beloved family recipe from an aunt who's a talented gardener, cook, and canner.
Sweet Watermelon Pickles

4 quarts watermelon rind
2 c. white vinegar
4 sticks cinnamon, broken
7 c. sugar
2 T. whole cloves

Cut green and pink flesh off watermelon rind and cut into 1" cubes. Soak in strong salt water overnight. Pour off salt waterand boil in fresh water until just tender, not soft.

Make syrup, add rind and spices, cook 10". Remove from heat, cover and let stand overnight. Drain off syrup, bring to a boil and pouur over rind. Continue this process for 5 nights.

Bring pickles to a boil the fifth morning, cook gently 5". Pack in sterile jars.

As for the other recipes and your kind offer to run them by your nutrition person for their cannability (!!), here's the scoop: for the chili sauce I'd start with The Joy of Cooking recipe which I'd be willing to stick to very accurately. Do you agree that it's probably a "safe" recipe?

As for the mango chutney, I have a couple of choices: the recipe in "Joy" and several recipes I received in response to my "ISO hot mango chutney recipe" thread (Sauces, Marinades, Rubs / condiments section of this site). Here's where my normal impulse in making the chutney would be to pick and choose from the various recipes quite freely -- upping the ginger and chili; changing spices according to taste/availability; changing proportions according to mangoes on hand. I do these things by instinct, usually -- just not a slavish recipe follower (as long as we're not talking about cakes, breads, or other formula baking, that is.)

So ... deep breath ... do I go for it, pressure processing whatever I come up with, and just ... hope?

(Does chutney freeze well?! :blush:)

Last edited:
Ayrton - now that you have revealed that you live somewhere in Greece it does make a difference. (We have members from all around the world and without knowing where you live it makes it a little difficult to give "location" specific help sometimes). As far as the mechanics - yes the USDA site does contain all of the information that you need - and that is duplicated in the Ball Blue Book. The nice thing about the Ball books is that they provide proven and tested recipes ... with step-by-step instructions. But, the USDA site has some, too.

Joy of Cooking also has some good recipes (that's where I started). But, depending on the publication date, you might want to use newer canning methods. A lot depends on the recipe and the method they used.

Back
Top Bottom