NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lyndalou, complet detail instructions I posted on page 20 and photo on
page 21

It really shouldn't need much more flour to get it to the proper consistency for the second rise. It is not supposed to be "like a baby's bottom," which is the descriptive standard for a kneaded bread. It's supposed to be a wet dough which has enough extra flour added to hold its shape.

I guess there might be more than one way to get good bread from this recipe. My "baby's bottom" is smooth and resilient and plump--not at all "pokable". The dough would drape over my hand--but it is a lovely soft exterior texture.
I have let it go 24 hours with no loss of texture or goodness of the resulting bread. I have also let the second rise go 12 hours and had an outstanding loaf of bread. My point would be that it is almost foolproof, IF you get the dough for the second rise "not wet"--but if one prefers a "wet" dough, that is fine with me.
My first one was wet--and the bread was good--a bit moist in the middle. Subsequently, the amount of flour I have added at the second rise is very small--but I have seen no prohibitions on the amount added. You just add what is needed.
So, once again, I think good results can be had from many ways of doing the bread. I am just trying to help those having problems.

I've made this bread quite a few times now and love it - now, it's time to 'play' with the dough. Some of you (can't remember who, and I'm not readiing 23 pages of this thread... ;) ) have added goodies to the dough. I'm wanting to add some roasted garlic, but I'm not sure when to make the addition.

I was going to do this last nite, but was hesitant to have the garlic in the initial dough out all nite. But, with just folding over the dough for the second rise or rest, doesn't look like it will be dispersed enough....so, when to add goodies??? Thanks for any ideas.

When I added cheese I added it during the first rise. That worked really well for me. I believe Jenny added hers for the second rise and that worked really well for her too.

I added mine during the first rise for the same reason you mentioned. I was not sure how I was going to incorporate it well any other way. It can be done though so I don't think it much matters when it is added.

And with your garlic (thanks for the idea) how about some chopped kalamata? That was what I was going to do next.
And agree it has to be the first rise. I try to work the dough as little as possible in the addition of flour for the second rise to preserve the "sponginess/rise" that the dough has at that point.

I agree to add "other ingredients" garlic or chopped kalamata in the first rise.
Many are making the bread.....we would like to see photos. Yes? It is interesting and fun to see different textures and shapes of this wonderful Bread Recipe

Made it yet again yesterday. I have been making it once or even twice a week for months now. My friends request it. Now I am starting to give them the recipe instead!:pig:

The first rise was 14 hours. The only flour added was on the counter and a bit sprinkled on top so that I could "fold it like an envelope" and form into a ball. The dough was very wet and did not resemble a baby's bottom whatsoever -- more like my own bottom, actually ...:ohmy: :blink:

Like always, second rise in greased bowl. Baked in 3 1/2 quart LC oven. Baked for less time than recipe tells you to. Added 2+ T of DC kosher salt -- more than recipe says.

Like always ... perfect moist, holey tasty bread. I have my favorite Jarlsberg and arugula sammie for lunch today!:chef:

I love the idea of olive bread. I ate my weight of that stuff one trip to Italy! That'll definitely be my next project -- tnx for the idea!

Well, I think I'm going to stay with a slice of the bread smeared with roasted garlic and other goodies. I added roasted garlic to the dough during the fermentation stage (about 12 hours into it) and it really worked fine, except for the first time the crust was not the wonderful crisp crust as all the other loaves have been.

So, I'd rather give up the garlic than the crust. But the flavor was asolutely wonderful!! Darn.

Maybe I didn't add as much garlic as you, plus I added during the 2 hr rise. My bread was still crusty.

My favorite is either plain or with the cheese.

cjs said:
Well, I think I'm going to stay with a slice of the bread smeared with roasted garlic and other goodies. I added roasted garlic to the dough during the fermentation stage (about 12 hours into it) and it really worked fine, except for the first time the crust was not the wonderful crisp crust as all the other loaves have been.

So, I'd rather give up the garlic than the crust. But the flavor was asolutely wonderful!! Darn.

I wouldn't think that the garlic would make any difference in the crust. Were the baking times covered and uncovered the same? I really think it must be something else.

Candocook said:
I wouldn't think that the garlic would make any difference in the crust. Were the baking times covered and uncovered the same? I really think it must be something else.

I agree. I don't think the garlic would have much to do with the crustiness of the bread.

I gave my neighbor the New York Times No Knead Bread recipe. She purchased a Hamilton Beach Crock Pot with plans to use the insert for baking this bread.

The insert was oval shape. She used 1 & 1/2 recipe. And the loaf was well shaped, delicious and turned out well.

She does NOT like the Artisan type, crust, texture etc. She made me a gift of the Hamilton Beach Oval Shaped Crock Pot.

Aria said:
I gave my neighbor the New York Times No Knead Bread recipe. She purchased a Hamilton Beach Crock Pot with plans to use the insert for baking this bread.

The insert was oval shape. She used 1 & 1/2 recipe. And the loaf was well shaped, delicious and turned out well.

She does NOT like the Artisan type, crust, texture etc. She made me a gift of the Hamilton Beach Oval Shaped Crock Pot.

Wow! I can't imagine not liking that bread. I bought bread from a bakery on Saturday -- bread that I used to love -- and it just pales in comparison to this particular recipe.

That you got a brand new crockpot out of the deal is great:ROFLMAO:

Half way through my very first loaf of this bread, DH was muttering that he did not like this bread. But by the end of that first loaf he had changed his mind. Now he looks around the kitchen for any of "that tough bread":LOL:

That is a characteristic of this style bread--very like the French baguette, which is basically inedible about 6 hours after it is baked! Having no shortening contributes to that--but if it had shortening, it wouldn't have that big hole/artisanal texture. It is a tradeoff.
That said, I have been surprised at how good it IS the next day. Mine is often very moist when baked and the next day it is a bit '"dryer" and the crust is softer. We have had very good luck using for several days, particularly for sandwiches.

After we've had a few slices, I wrap my bread in 2 layers of saran wrap and then put it in a ziplock. Granted it loses the hard crust but the bread lasts several days with no other ill effects.

Candocook said:
this style bread--very like the French baguette, which is basically inedible about 6 hours after it is baked!
I have had the exact opposite experience. My bread has remained perfect for many days after it was baked. You would not be able to tell the difference between my 3 day old bread and my 1 hour old bread.

Back
Top Bottom