Oldest Unread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I've noticed when I click on an active thread, I am not presented with my oldest unread post. I am always deposited at the end of the thread. Can that be fixed/changed?

Andy, are you sorting your threads with newest posts first? Mine are sorted with oldest first (ascending chronological order) and I have no problem going straight to the most recent post that I haven't read.

The list of threads with new activity (click on New Posts) is sorted with newest posts at the top. That's not the issue. When I click on one of those listed posts, I'm taken to the end of the thread, NOT the the last unread post within that topic.

The list of threads with new activity (click on New Posts) is sorted with newest posts at the top. That's not the issue. When I click on one of those listed posts, I'm taken to the end of the thread, NOT the the last unread post within that topic.
When you do look at a thread, are the posts in that thread sorted with the newest or oldest replies on top? I don't mean on the New Posts page. I think I read that some people chose a setting to view the posts in a thread with the newest ones on top.

When you do look at a thread, are the posts in that thread sorted with the newest or oldest replies on top? I don't mean on the New Posts page. I think I read that some people chose a setting to view the posts in a thread with the newest ones on top.
When open a thread, the posts are in numerical order - #1 is the OP and the most recent post is listed last. I've never seen it any other way.

When open a thread, the posts are in numerical order - #1 is the OP and the most recent post is listed last. I've never seen it any other way.
It has happened to me, once in a while. I think it depends on where I click, whether I get the start of the thread or the first unread.

Do you get email notifications for replies to threads you follow? If so, do those links take you to the first unread reply?

I just checked the New Posts page and there was one there. I clicked the date that the thread was started, like this:

1666126449239.png

That brought me to the first post in the thread. When I click the title of the thread, it brings me to the first unread reply.

@Andy M. It's been my experience that starting on WHAT'S NEW at the top, and the post is bold, it means something has been added since I last looked (if not bold, it indicates that I've looked, but nothing has been added since I last looked), and if I just click the title of the post, it takes me to the first "new" post since I last looked. I just checked several to see if it was still working, and it works fine - this was one thread where it worked fine, as there were several posts since I last looked, and it took me to the middle - the first one I don't remember reading. When I click on the time the post was made, on the far right side, above the member's name, that's when I am taken to the very end. This is on a tablet or android; didn't take note of this on my PC, but I assume it did the same.

When I do look at a thread, they're listed in the numerical order of the thread: the OP is #1, the first response is #2, etc.

It has happened to me, once in a while. I think it depends on where I click, whether I get the start of the thread or the first unread.

Do you get email notifications for replies to threads you follow? If so, do those links take you to the first unread reply?
I don't get emails.

I use "New Posts" rather than "What's New" because that eliminates all the posts that have no new activity for me.

However, when I open a thread with new activity, I click on the name of the latest poster. That could be my problem. I'm going to try clicking on the title to see if that works.

I just contacted admin about this. I was noticing some threads start with the first post, others start with the last.

I was wondering if there was a place in the profile or personalization to change it to what you want. When I click on an old post, if the last post isn't too old and I want to reply, I really don't want to go scroll through a million pages trying to find the Reply box. I'd rather the thread started with the oldest post because some of these threads are more than a decade old.

You can tell I missed the update.

Back
Top Bottom