Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry to hear about Smudge, Princess. :( I fear that I'll be going through the same thing before too long with my 17 year old Blackee kitty. It's hard, but there's some comfort in knowing they've had a good long life with lots of loving. :heart:

Tetley the Wonder Horse

My lovely Tetley was very poorly yesterday and the vet put him to sleep. He was 27 and we would have owned one another for 17 years come September 16th although I had known and loved him for 23 years.

He was a full chestnut, 16.2hands and went in side saddle and astride and anyone could ride him safely, from a Master of Hounds (Drag hunting) to a 3 year old held on by its mother. He hated showing as much I do - he once got fed up with the rigmarole in a show arena and jumped into the next arena. The teenager riding him was mortified but I couldn't be cross with him.

We both enjoyed hacking around the countryside and just sitting in the hay in his stable - me with a book and him lying fast asleep.

He was active to the last, playing chase with all the horses in the meadow, supervising at the gate at bringing in time in the afternoon. He never kicked or bit the pushing and shoving horses at the gate he just was a Presence and, they deferred to him and behaved themselves, he still had his girlfriends (despite being a gelding).

Very sad and bereft without him.

RIP my lovely boy.

My lovely Tetley was very poorly yesterday and the vet put him to sleep. He was 27 and we would have owned one another for 17 years come September 16th although I had known and loved him for 23 years.

He was a full chestnut, 16.2hands and went in side saddle and astride and anyone could ride him safely, from a Master of Hounds (Drag hunting) to a 3 year old held on by its mother. He hated showing as much I do - he once got fed up with the rigmarole in a show arena and jumped into the next arena. The teenager riding him was mortified but I couldn't be cross with him.

We both enjoyed hacking around the countryside and just sitting in the hay in his stable - me with a book and him lying fast asleep.

He was active to the last, playing chase with all the horses in the meadow, supervising at the gate at bringing in time in the afternoon. He never kicked or bit the pushing and shoving horses at the gate he just was a Presence and, they deferred to him and behaved themselves, he still had his girlfriends (despite being a gelding).

Very sad and bereft without him.

RIP my lovely boy.

Oh Mad Cook, I am so sorry. I will miss your stories of Tetley the Wonder Horse. My thoughts, Heart and Prayers go out to you.

Oh Tetley. We're sure going to miss you, and the tales of your antics.

RIP, sweet Tetley.

My sincere condolences, Mad Cook. The love you shared for each other came through in your stories about him.

RIP Tetley :heart:

Oh Mad Cook, I am so sorry. I will miss your stories of Tetley the Wonder Horse. My thoughts, Heart and Prayers go out to you.

I too have loved the stories about Tetley, The Wonder Horse. My heart is broken. I watch Dr. Pol when he has to put an animal down, and he in his own way shows so much compassion.

You gave Tetley a good life. You gave him the arenas to show off all of his skills and gentleness. You gave him the deep love that every animal deserves. You gave him the life that every animal deserves. I thank you and commend you for all that.

But I know, like you do, that he is now in a better life without pain. I thank you for having the courage to consider his pain over yours. My condolences and prayers. I am sure he will find some young fillies and mares to boss around and play with. Good bye Tetley. Every time I make myself a cup of Tetley tea, I will remember you Tetley.

Mad Cook, I'm so sorry to hear about Tetley. Your post made me teary eyed. I've enjoyed reading about your stories of him, his antics, and you shlopping through the mud to take care of him. It sounds like he had the best horsey life ever. Rest in peace, Tetley.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind comments. Lisa, who helped me with him, had taken some lovely photos. I have to admit he wasn't very photogenic - he was much nicer looking in real life than on paper - or that might be that I'm biased.

The yard owner very kindly buried him on site which was very kind of him as it's not strictly legal to do it without a permit! Mike (the yard owner) was nearly as upset as Lisa and I. He used to own Tetley - imported him from Ireland when he was three years old and was very fond of him.

Thank you again.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Lisa, who helped me with him, had taken some lovely photos. I have to admit he wasn't very photogenic - he was much nicer looking in real life than on paper - or that might be that I'm biased.

The yard owner very kindly buried him on site which was very kind of him as it's not strictly legal to do it without a permit! Mike (the yard owner) was nearly as upset as Lisa and I. He used to own Tetley - imported him from Ireland when he was three years old and was very fond of him.

Thank you again.
Being here only a short time, I have missed out on your stories of Tetly.. If you could post pics of him, it would be a nice tribute.. :)

Ross

Being here only a short time, I have missed out on your stories of Tetly.. If you could post pics of him, it would be a nice tribute.. :)

Ross
I would if I could. Just been trying to send pics but I'm using the local library's PC and it doesn't seem to want to send photos. I've tried copying the best for framing at home but it won't do that either. Lisa sent it to me from her I Phone so whether that is the problem or the library's system doesn't like forwarding pictures, I don't know. My home laptop is sulking at the moment pending a trip to the PC hospital.

I'll keep trying.

He was 16.2 hands (don't ask me what that is in real money because I only know he was big!), all chestnut-coloured Irish Draught cross and a very special chap.

Last edited:
I would if I could. Just been trying to send pics but I'm using the local library's PC and it doesn't seem to want to send photos. I've tried copying the best for framing at home but it won't do that either. Lisa sent it to me from her I Phone so whether that is the problem or the library's system doesn't like forwarding pictures, I don't know. My home laptop is sulking at the moment pending a trip to the PC hospital.

I'll keep trying.

He was 16.2 hands (don't ask me what that is in real money because I only know he was big!), all chestnut-coloured Irish Draught cross and a very special chap.

If you can get pics into an email, I'd be happy to give you my addy and post them for you... :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom