Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have to remember, that horse started life as a colt (male). Ended up a eunuch. They are usually a lot bigger than the mares you might be used to seeing, even at birth.

The breed of the horse has more to do with it's size than the gender does. Mad Cook said Tetley was an Irish Draught cross. They are tall, strong, sturdy horses.

We just found out yesterday that tests confirmed that Violet has stage 3 lymphoma. With her being 13 and all her other health issues we have decided to take no further action in the way of tests or treatments.

We are incredibly sad but don't want her to feel that. Instead, we want to make whatever time she has left (could be a little or years, but the doctor doesn't think the latter) to be happy - hanging out in the dog park with her friends.

We are also thinking that her arthritic legs may stop her before cancer. They are getting weaker all the time. I can't carry a 60+pound dog and she won't fit on my walker. Believe me, if she becomes lame and I can find a way to get her to the park each day I will!

I hope I don't come across as uncaring. I think anyone that knows me knows the bond between that incredible mutt and I. When I got off the phone with the vet (while I was at the dog park, of course). I had tears streaming down my face. I will never let her suffer but I am going to be a wreck when she is gone.

LP, you don't sound uncaring in the least to me. You are not willing to put Violet through the trauma, annoyance, pain, etc. of tests that might prolong her life. We understand that you want her to have a good quality of life, rather than just longer life.

I agree completely with what taxlady said. We have had to make the same decision about a beloved pet. It's very difficult but sometimes it's the right thing to do. Hugs ❤️

I agree with taxy and GG, too, LP. Heck, my family knows if I'M in a bad way medically and there isn't anything else that can help, they darned well better not have the doctor use extraordinary efforts to keep me going. If they do, they do it under the same threat as my Mom gave to me: "you put me on machines, I haunt you once I finally die". [emoji1] Thankfully, Mom was much too sick at the end for that to have been an option. Phew, dodged that bullet.

Thanks, ladies. I have made the decision when the time was right for other pets and I know that we will be able to do the same for Violet.

That was really sweet, Ross.

+1. :)

Big hugs, LP.

I've had to make that decision, and the grim drive to the vet 6 times now with our cats over the years. 3 of the 6 were adult rescues, and the other 3 were feral kittens that we took in. They all got to live out their fairly short lives with a million hugs from us.
But those end days I'd rather not remember.

On a brighter note, I'm looking forward to a few weeks from now. My African Grey, Louie, is turning 30 years old.

Last edited:
Bucky T, you have an African Grey? Oh, my I have always wanted one! My maiden name is Parrott and even though I hated the jokes I have always been partial to the one "t" variety, especially Grey's. They are just amazing birds. I would love to see a picture of Louie.

Ross, your words are very much taken to heart...as well as the thoughts and words of everyone else here.

At the moment Violet is sleeping a lot and spending time at the park. She will let us know when it is time and we will do what is best for her. Until that time I want to enjoy our time together and not worry about how much is left. :)

Last night we welcomed a new member to our family.

Meet Pepper.

pepper_2_IMG_2903.JPG

Love black cats. Added advantage: when they shed, it usually matches my clothes.

She's a cutie!

Thank you everyone.

Now we have:
George
Pepper
Sugar
Sweet Pea
Angel

(Sweet Pea and Angel were a twofer Mommy and baby.)

We think Sweet Pea and Pepper have the same father because there is only one black Tom cat in the neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom