Panera Bread Restaurants are getting rid of 50 % of their menu.. in April...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Politics like when Panera tried (several years back) to do a "pay what you feel" thing for food (the food was free, and people paid what they thought it was worth/they should) and they got totally bankrupt in like 6 months? Though I've heard they do the same thing in Asian countries with actually great success. Weird!

Politics like when Panera tried (several years back) to do a "pay what you feel" thing for food (the food was free, and people paid what they thought it was worth/they should) and they got totally bankrupt in like 6 months? Though I've heard they do the same thing in Asian countries with actually great success. Weird!

Again, I'm not seeing a political connection. "Pay what you feel" just sounds like a bad marketing idea.

CD

How about the family cook pots in the islands that never get washed out? Leftovers from supper last night is still in the pot and more ingredients are added and cooked for tonight's supper. Some of those meals, just like San Francisco's yeast, are 150 years or more old. :unsure: :D
I have heard of stew pots that get filled for the next day without being emptied. As I understand, the pots never even left the heat. It was considered to be the same stew that had been going for weeks, months, decades, or even hundreds of years.

Panera Bread Restaurants are getting rid of 50 % of their menu.. in April...

This was on reddit.. and internal doc of what is going away...
You can also google the restaurant and see more info...

I eat their quite often and am furious over these changes...View attachment 68419
I like them, but I have had this beef with them for several years. Here is a blog entry I wrote about them in 2017 airing my grievances:

OCTOBER 23, 2017

Panera Bread, I Find You Exhausting​

My favorite sandwich to put on my Pick Two was the Cuban Panini. I used to frequent Panera when they had that. And then they took it off the menu.
My favorite salad at Panera was the Chicken Barbecue, which was the only salad they had with a quasi-cream dressing. Then it went away. Then it came back. Then it went away. Then it finally came back. I was told it was “seasonal” at one location, told it was “discontinued forever” at another. So I pretty much gave up and just stopped going. Then I saw it back on their menu, so I went and tried to find a sandwich to pair with it, never completely satisfied, still missing the Cuban.

Somewhere along the line I discovered the Orange Cranberry Muffins. So I started going to the one close to work in the morning wanting to take some of them to work with me. The problem? They never had more than two of them! And usually they were out. I’d ask, and they’d say “We had 7 this morning.” Really? You can’t even make like a baker’s dozen to last a couple of hours?

After a couple of times of struggling to find a parking space at the one closest to work (there just isn’t enough parking) only to get there and find zero to two muffins, I gave up trying to bring any to work. But I hadn’t hit rock bottom yet. Next time I went in, I was told “They’re discontinued.” I said, “Are they coming back? You know, like how they keep discontinuing the Barbecue Chicken salad for no reason?” “No, they’re totally discontinued.”
So I found myself a new place to buy muffins and a new sandwich shop. Hadn’t been to Panera for lunch for about a year. I just finally gave up.

Then I get an email from Panera a couple of months ago saying the new Chicken Barbecue salad is now called the Chicken Lime something salad, but it inferred it was still the same salad, just freshened up. I don’t give a crap WHAT it’s called and not sure why you do. Just gimme the salad.

So I found myself by a different location and decided to get myself one of those and a sandwich.
What? Is that a Cranberry Orange Muffin I see? Well, two. I said, “I thought you said this was discontinued, so I haven’t been here for a year since you’ve discontinued literally everything I like to eat here.” She explained that it’s “seasonal.” What the hell is “seasonal” about an orange cranberry muffin or a chicken barbecue salad?
WHASSA MATTA WIT YOU??? No one cares about what season it is. We just want to be able to find our favorite thing when we go in year round.

So I got the Pick Two with a Chicken Lime salad and tried one of the only panini choices left (remember when they were KNOWN for paninis and the only people in town making them?) I remember the Cuban. It was big and fat, about 5-6 inches long and 4 wide. This panini was about 2 inches wide and 3-4 inches long. Never even seen bread that size. Tiny. And it was crap. It had a tiny amount of meat and a sauce I didn’t like and that-was-it.

I dug right into the salad when it came. And it did look similar to the Chicken Barbecue salad except — it tasted terrible. Terrible. It was sour. That was the main flavor in it: sour.
I’ve never sent anything back there, so this was a first.

You guys need to stop obsessing about whatever your spiel is now, "clean" or "fresh" or "seasonal" or whatever. You were fresh AND delicious when you first started, and your food was reasonably priced and worth the money. And now everything I had (except for the two muffins I brought home) was utter crap. And instead of a $12 bill, it was $17, just in this year that I’ve been away.
You need to dispense with the seasonal BS and get back to making food that is worth coming there for.

I like them, but I have had this beef with them for several years. Here is a blog entry I wrote about them in 2017 airing my grievances:

OCTOBER 23, 2017

Panera Bread, I Find You Exhausting​

My favorite sandwich to put on my Pick Two was the Cuban Panini. I used to frequent Panera when they had that. And then they took it off the menu.
My favorite salad at Panera was the Chicken Barbecue, which was the only salad they had with a quasi-cream dressing. Then it went away. Then it came back. Then it went away. Then it finally came back. I was told it was “seasonal” at one location, told it was “discontinued forever” at another. So I pretty much gave up and just stopped going. Then I saw it back on their menu, so I went and tried to find a sandwich to pair with it, never completely satisfied, still missing the Cuban.

Somewhere along the line I discovered the Orange Cranberry Muffins. So I started going to the one close to work in the morning wanting to take some of them to work with me. The problem? They never had more than two of them! And usually they were out. I’d ask, and they’d say “We had 7 this morning.” Really? You can’t even make like a baker’s dozen to last a couple of hours?

After a couple of times of struggling to find a parking space at the one closest to work (there just isn’t enough parking) only to get there and find zero to two muffins, I gave up trying to bring any to work. But I hadn’t hit rock bottom yet. Next time I went in, I was told “They’re discontinued.” I said, “Are they coming back? You know, like how they keep discontinuing the Barbecue Chicken salad for no reason?” “No, they’re totally discontinued.”
So I found myself a new place to buy muffins and a new sandwich shop. Hadn’t been to Panera for lunch for about a year. I just finally gave up.

Then I get an email from Panera a couple of months ago saying the new Chicken Barbecue salad is now called the Chicken Lime something salad, but it inferred it was still the same salad, just freshened up. I don’t give a crap WHAT it’s called and not sure why you do. Just gimme the salad.

So I found myself by a different location and decided to get myself one of those and a sandwich.
What? Is that a Cranberry Orange Muffin I see? Well, two. I said, “I thought you said this was discontinued, so I haven’t been here for a year since you’ve discontinued literally everything I like to eat here.” She explained that it’s “seasonal.” What the hell is “seasonal” about an orange cranberry muffin or a chicken barbecue salad?
WHASSA MATTA WIT YOU??? No one cares about what season it is. We just want to be able to find our favorite thing when we go in year round.

So I got the Pick Two with a Chicken Lime salad and tried one of the only panini choices left (remember when they were KNOWN for paninis and the only people in town making them?) I remember the Cuban. It was big and fat, about 5-6 inches long and 4 wide. This panini was about 2 inches wide and 3-4 inches long. Never even seen bread that size. Tiny. And it was crap. It had a tiny amount of meat and a sauce I didn’t like and that-was-it.

I dug right into the salad when it came. And it did look similar to the Chicken Barbecue salad except — it tasted terrible. Terrible. It was sour. That was the main flavor in it: sour.
I’ve never sent anything back there, so this was a first.

You guys need to stop obsessing about whatever your spiel is now, "clean" or "fresh" or "seasonal" or whatever. You were fresh AND delicious when you first started, and your food was reasonably priced and worth the money. And now everything I had (except for the two muffins I brought home) was utter crap. And instead of a $12 bill, it was $17, just in this year that I’ve been away.
You need to dispense with the seasonal BS and get back to making food that is worth coming there for.
Hear, hear! (y)

The sign out front says, "Panera Bread", not "Panera Sandwich Shop" or "Panera Soup and Salad" or "Panera Bistro" or "Panera Cafe", just "Panera Bread" and that is what they should be concentrating on.

intro-1667505519.jpg

I quit going there when I went in for a loaf of sourdough and they said they only had one loaf left and that was for sandwiches in the restaurant, so I was S.O.L. Now I live in San Diego, we have Boudin Bakery, they have a starter that dates back to 1859, and they never run out of sourdough, EVER!

Last edited:
The sign out front says, "Panera Bread", not "Panera Sandwich Shop" or "Panera Soup and Salad" or "Panera Bistro" or "Panera Cafe", just "Panera Bread" and that is what they should be concentrating on.

intro-1667505519.jpg

I quit going there when I wnet in for a loaf of sourdough and they said they only had one loaf left and that was for sandwiches in the reastaurant, so I was S.O.L.
Yeah, Panera has gotten a little big for their britches... as my mom always used to say.

:blush:

We like Panera. I don't think they've gotten "too big for their britches". It's silly assume their name limits their offerings. Businesses in the food industry are always changing their offerings, their hours, etc.

Recent years have put a huge strain on the restaurant industry in general. It's not a stretch to assume Panera was also impacted. They sell bread products that are extremely short-lived. So they bake quantities based on experience. They don't hold fresh breads/rolls/muffins/bagels for the next day. They donate them every night to a food pantry/soup kitchen to feed the needy.

It won't affect me. Something about their food (some ingredient?) tears me up inside. I call their sandwiches "gut bombs."

CD
I'm like that with most Asian food, but I do eat some just basic Chinese including soy sauce that doesn't tear me up. But Thai -- nothing at all can I eat without getting really sick. I think it's the coconut oil. I do have a bad reaction to it on soft tissue like lips immediately and suspect it tears me up and my friend says they use that a lot in Thai. No loss for me. I don't like Asian food that much anyway, but I do have a favorite egg drop soup that I love that is also only $2.25 real near me. Am picky about eggrolls. Used to like Szehuan, or some of it, but haven't had any I like for 30 years now.

Just saw that Panera is "enhancing" the one sandwich I like now, which is the Chipotle Chicken Avacado. I do like it. But I think they already started "enhancing" it because last time I got it, it wasn't the same, wasn't very good. Hope I'm wrong. It was one sandwich I didn't have to customize, liked everything as is. It had Calabrian chilies on it, which were mild and juicy. They're probably also expensive, so that could be what they're "enhancing" off of there or substituting red peppers for. If so, I won't like it anymore.

I didn't understand why Panera got into pizza. I mean, if it had been especially good pizza, I could see it, but jeez, there's a lot of better pizza around where I live.

I wish I could say I'd eat at Panera, I mean, the menu looks so innocent, what could go wrong with a piece of bread and some tomato soup?
When this thread came up I went to the menu and items and read the descriptions of the items, completely normal sounding. Then I went to the ingredient list of the tomato soup and realized it is just a corporate industrial super processed food! I was so disappointed. But I thought, at least I could get a piece of bread, not much can go wrong with bread, but that too has 20+ ingredients when it should have 3-4. I give up, no Panera for me.
For those who really like what they have, enjoy!

We like Panera. I don't think they've gotten "too big for their britches". It's silly assume their name limits their offerings. Businesses in the food industry are always changing their offerings, their hours, etc.

Recent years have put a huge strain on the restaurant industry in general. It's not a stretch to assume Panera was also impacted. They sell bread products that are extremely short-lived. So they bake quantities based on experience. They don't hold fresh breads/rolls/muffins/bagels for the next day. They donate them every night to a food pantry/soup kitchen to feed the needy.
I don't mean that in the sense that they should focus on bread only. I personally like many of their offerings. But, in my experience, you don't usually get what's described. Or at least I don't at the location I go to. They advertise these fancy sandwiches that look and sound so delicious. Then you get one and the flavor (as well as the amount of ingredients) falls very flat.

For example, the last sandwich I got there (with the Autumn Squash soup in a Pick Two order) was the Bacon Avocado Melt. A decent amount of avocado, but I only found 3 or 4 small pieces (like less than an inch in size) on the sandwich. Ummmm, it *is* supposed to be a BACON avocado melt, right? So where's the bacon?

And the ingredients are rarely spread evenly over the bread. You find a piece of this in that corner and a piece of that in another corner - you get the drift. They're very stingy with the toppings and the sandwiches are not put together very well.

Then another time I got a salad that contained a good amount of lettuce that was brown around the edges. All the while charging a pretty penny for this food I received. Which I wouldn't mind doing, if I would only get food that's worth the money.

If you're gonna boast it - put it out. Otherwise, find some knickers that fit.

I wish I could say I'd eat at Panera, I mean, the menu looks so innocent, what could go wrong with a piece of bread and some tomato soup?
When this thread came up I went to the menu and items and read the descriptions of the items, completely normal sounding. Then I went to the ingredient list of the tomato soup and realized it is just a corporate industrial super processed food! I was so disappointed. But I thought, at least I could get a piece of bread, not much can go wrong with bread, but that too has 20+ ingredients when it should have 3-4. I give up, no Panera for me.
For those who really like what they have, enjoy!
And they build their image on clean food.

And they build their image on clean food.
Believe it or not, their tomato soup contains 15 grams of fat (8g saturated) and 760mg of sodium.

The broccoli cheddar is even worse with 16 grams of fat (11g saturated) and 1060mg of sodium.

The French onion soup has 1290mg of sodium.

Granted, soup alone is full of sodium. But I wouldn't expect a bowl of tomato soup to have 8 grams of saturated fat.

30+ ingredients in the Tomato Soup
Vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup (Tomatoes [Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Salt, Citric Acid], Water, Tomato Puree (Vine-Ripened Tomatoes, Citric Acid), Whipping Cream [Cream, Milk], Onions, Butter [Pasteurized Cream, Salt], Seasoning [Sugar, Salt, Spices {Black Pepper, Celery Seed, Oregano, White Pepper, Red Pepper}, Canola Oil], Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Corn Starch, Garlic Puree [Garlic, Water]), Sea Salt And Black Pepper Croutons (Enriched Flour [Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Yeast, Sugar, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Microbial Enzymes), Canola And/Or Sunflower Oil (With Rosemary Extract And Ascorbic Acid [To Preserve Freshness]), Seasoning (Sea Salt, Black Pepper)

We've found plain clean food more available at chinese restaurants, steamed veggies, plain brown rice, and Mexican restaurants with whole black beans, plain rice, diced tomatoes, peppers.

Believe it or not, their tomato soup contains 15 grams of fat (8g saturated) and 760mg of sodium.

The broccoli cheddar is even worse with 16 grams of fat (11g saturated) and 1060mg of sodium.

The French onion soup has 1290mg of sodium.

Granted, soup alone is full of sodium. But I wouldn't expect a bowl of tomato soup to have 8 grams of saturated fat.

I'm on a sodium restricted diet, and I can tell you that pretty much ALL restaurant food is loaded with sodium.

When I was traveling for business almost half the year, I also discovered that even the "healthy options" on restaurant menus were loaded with calories, fat and sodium.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom