Pasta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopz, why not before it boils?

I always add salt to my pasta water as that is the only chance you get to flavor the pasta itself, but I see no difference in adding the salt before or after the water is boiling.

GB said:
Hopz, why not before it boils?

I always add salt to my pasta water as that is the only chance you get to flavor the pasta itself, but I see no difference in adding the salt before or after the water is boiling.
If you add salt before boiling, it will increase the boiling temperature of water. So, you will need more time to boil.

RDG said:
If you add salt before boiling, it will increase the boiling temperature of water. So, you will need more time to boil.
While this is technically correct it is not correct in practicality. The amount it raises the temperature is so small as is the amount of extra time needed to get to a boil that it is imperceivable.

RDG said:

GB, didn't you learn that at school? One of the few things I still remember from physics... but I must admit, I add the salt at the beginning, otherwise I will forget...:rolleyes:

and always remember:
for life you learn, not for school :-p

:cool:

LOl yes cara I do remember learing that, but as Robert Wolke said in his book "What Einstein Told His Cook" "adding salt to the water raises its boiling point, so the water will boil hotter and cook the food faster."

To these readers I award an A in chemistry but a D in Food 101"

Check out the full article here.

RDG said:

Seven hundredths of 1ºF, for every T, to be exact. So it really doesn't matter.

OK, in MY chem class they told us that adding salt to the water lowered the "activation energy" of the water. Meaning that it would boil at a temperature LOWER than usual. To me that means it boils sooner, but you don't reap any real cooking benefits from this action. Other than flavouring the pasta of course.

RDG, cooking pasta the way I mentioned works great and it is done not just softened. The pasta is plump and tender and tasty. It isn't just tender and blah. It cooks as it sits in the boiling water for about 20 min.Only thing is you don't get sticky pasta or burned pan.

GB said:
While this is technically correct it is not correct in practicality. The amount it raises the temperature is so small as is the amount of extra time needed to get to a boil that it is imperceivable.
Fantastic! I have lived all this time with a silly information!:LOL: :LOL: :blush:
TY: never too late to learn....

thumpershere2 said:
Isn't adding salt before water boiles hard on your pots? Thought I seen that somewhere here awhile back.
Yes it can be, but it is just cosmetic. For me I don't care as my pasta pot is a cheapo one anyway so I really don't care what it looks like. For those that do care you do have a point!

jpmcgrew said:
:) I always say the water should be as salty as the ocean if not your pasta will be really bland.

I found that salting the water is more important than whether to oil or not. Giada's grandfather came from a line of pasta gurus. Mario Batali knows what he if doing. They always salt the water. I have found that it does make a big difference. Salt always adds savor.

Here's a follow up question... to rinse or not to rinse.... and why? I never did growing up and can't remember why I do now...

Don't rinse. Rinsing washes off the starch and the starch is what helps the sauce stick to the pasta.

If you're serving the pasta hot with a sauce, don't rinse. If you're cooking pasta for a cold pasta salad, rinse.

Just a moment, please, I don't understand....
About what are you speaking? May be you don't salt pasta? Or Have I not understood?
And what do you mean with "rinse" pasta?

Trip said:
Here's a follow up question... to rinse or not to rinse.... and why? I never did growing up and can't remember why I do now...

Depends on what you want to put on the pasta. As GB says it rinses off the starch so sauces won't stick as well. There are some sauces that are thick enough on their own that they don't need the help from the starch.

Rinsing pasta refers to draining the pasta and then holding it under running water. Some people grew up always rising (or washing) their pasta after it was done cooking.

Before I knew what I was doing in the kitchen I would always do that, but I honestly have no idea what ever gave me the idea that I should. I am glad I have stopped that practice.

Back
Top Bottom