Petty Vents II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes, when I get really annoyed with the rules for a password, I include a rude phrase in my password. :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks ladies. The commiserations are very much appreciated.
taxy, I finally got so fed up with being asked to confirm my password or telling me that I needed to change it or something equally ridiculous. I exploded with "that phrase" and so decided that would be my password.

It was a little embarrassing when in the 'puter shop and I had to give them my password. Took their breath away but then they couldn't stop laughing.

Told my daughter and she laughed saying "Well, they don't expect little old white haired grannies to drop the F bomb, much less use for a password".
I replied "Who? I don't know any little old white haired grannies."

Lord that reminded me. A big important high management guy in a company I used to work for had computer problems and had to give his password. 1H@temyfuckingjob.

That's what I've done since the beginning. I've always thought what the point of storing on something that can crash on itself? Didn't and still doesn't make sense.
I've been using a password manager for over 20 years. I have a copy of the app on my phone and tablet and a backup is kept on their website and my laptop. Access to all of these is encrypted. It generates passwords for me and fills in login pages, application forms and shopping pages for me. It's been great.

One of our biggest communications company Rogers, went down for over 16 hours in 2022, with many customers going the weekend without services. People could not use their phones, internet, get tv, etc. Amongst those affected were government and business offices to Interac purchasing and, most notably, for emergency services. One woman died when her family could not call 911.

Granted, for me personally, I would be plenty upset but it would not be a life and death emergency should I not have access to my passwords.

Can't remember who but someone keeps all his backup data, etc physically in another building! Just in case his house burns down with his computer etal inside. Excellant idea but I'm truly just too lazy and forgetful to keep the data up to date on a regular basis.

To me, the main problem with having my password manager synced on my phone is that I use a really long password as the primary password for it. I hate one finger typing it on my phone, so I haven't kept up on the syncing.

Crackers!

w=480

A couple weeks ago I was in the local $tore and picked up a half pound box of these Forrelli saltine crackers.

No complaints about the crackers.

They were thin crisp with just the right amount of salt.

My petty vent is that these wonderful crackers with an Italian sounding name were made in India.

How can you make something as simple as a saltine cracker, ship it halfway round the world and sell it cheaper than one made locally?

I have nothing against India but it’s just not logical to me that this type of business is good for us or our economy.

Can't remember who but someone keeps all his backup data, etc physically in another building! Just in case his house burns down with his computer etal inside. Excellant idea but I'm truly just too lazy and forgetful to keep the data up to date on a regular basis.
When I worked, our corporate office ran a back up of data. The backup was fedexed overnight to another corporate office, so that there was only a small window of time when it was in transit that it wasn't available in case of a fire or failure at either corporate office.

I print out all my passwords once or twice a year in case of hardware/software failure.

It's a good idea if you don't have any other way, to keep a little 3x5 inch spiral notebook with your most important and commonly updated passwords. If you travel, don't keep it in the laptop case, keep it in a different bag.

Crackers!

w=480

A couple weeks ago I was in the local $tore and picked up a half pound box of these Forrelli saltine crackers.

My petty vent is that these wonderful crackers with an Italian sounding name were made in India.

How can you make something as simple as a saltine cracker, ship it halfway round the world and sell it cheaper than one made locally?

I have nothing against India but it’s just not logical to me that this type of business is good for us or our economy.
You have to be careful and read labels fully. We found some frozen crawfish tails once. The packaging had a Louisiana city's name and was packaged there, but the crawfish were from China.

Last edited:
When I worked, our corporate office ran a back up of data. The backup was fedexed overnight to another corporate office, so that there was only a small window of time when it was in transit that it wasn't available in case of a fire or failure at either corporate office.

I print out all my passwords once or twice a year in case of hardware/software failure.

It's a good idea if you don't have any other way, to keep a little 3x5 inch spiral notebook with your most important and commonly updated passwords. If you travel, don't keep it in the laptop case, keep it in a different bag.

Not only that but what if you suddenly die or become incapacitated? Would your spouse have a clue?

Not only that but what if you suddenly die or become incapacitated? Would your spouse have a clue?
Exactly! I sit down with mr bliss every few months to go over how to log onto my laptop, and how to pay the bills. The passwords are in the printed file, with the most up to date ones in the 3x5 notebook. He also keeps a 3x5 notebook for all his passwords. He knows how to warm up the canned soups we have if I'm sick, and just yesterday he made me a cup of tea!

Crackers!

w=480

Not just the economy, what about the environment and the climate emergency? Do we really need to add that much carbon into the atmosphere getting that food to us, when it is just as easily available from closer?

One of our biggest communications company Rogers, went down for over 16 hours in 2022, with many customers going the weekend without services. People could not use their phones, internet, get tv, etc. Amongst those affected were government and business offices to Interac purchasing and, most notably, for emergency services. One woman died when her family could not call 911.

Granted, for me personally, I would be plenty upset but it would not be a life and death emergency should I not have access to my passwords.
The point is that it creates them for me, keeps track of them, in an encrypted format, it fills in online forms and it's synced on all my devices.

I'm too lazy to do that, too. So I use Backblaze, a service that backs up my laptop every night.

The point is that it creates them for me, keeps track of them, in an encrypted format, it fills in online forms and it's synced on all my devices.

I'm too lazy to do that, too. So I use Backblaze, a service that backs up my laptop every night.
Does Backblaze let you tell them that you do not want some folders backed up?
How easily does it sync the various devices. I'm seriously thinking that I should get cloud backup.

Does Backblaze let you tell them that you do not want some folders backed up?
How easily does it sync the various devices. I'm seriously thinking that I should get cloud backup.
Yes, you can choose which folders to back up. I only have it backing up my laptop, so I don't know about using other devices.

Ok, I just checked the website and there's an app that allows you to access your files on other devices. I'm going to have to check that out.

Yes, you can choose which folders to back up. I only have it backing up my laptop, so I don't know about using other devices.

Ok, I just checked the website and there's an app that allows you to access your files on other devices. I'm going to have to check that out.
Thanks GG. Please let us know about the access on other devices once you have tried that.

My petty vent is recipes that sound so mouthwatering and "anyone can do this" and then proceed to tell you to use a seasoning mix (with a link - usually to Amazon) that you've never heard of and don't want to buy.
But they don't tell you what is in the mix. Is it mainly oregano? or parsley? or garlic and chives? what??
Maybe I already have a similar blend or could make an almost similar from the gazillion herbs and spices I already have, used 1/8th of a tsp. of and have never used since.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a spice/herb. Could be a can of **** , go ahead and give the name but please tell me how I can use a can of plain **** with what herbs/spices/whatever are in that specialty can you can get for a dime a dozen but my region has never heard of them.

I realize this is partially a phenomenon to recent internet popularity - but it is still aggravating.

Thank you - rant over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom