Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara, I'm so sorry such a cute picture of your grandboy caused such a ruckus. My vent is about Facebook in general, and both kids and adults throwing away any good sense with the written word. I've made it a point to stay far away from the garbage that goes on there, or I'd be madder than a wet hen all the time. "Social Network" my foot!! Grrrrrrrr:mad:
I love Facebook and probably spend way too much time there, but I do agree that it is not necessarily a good thing. Too many people seem not to realize that everything they put out there is there for good. They say things they would never say to someone in person. Some people are hurting their chances for good jobs, etc. in the future because of their lack of discretion now.

FB is one of the main ways I have of keeping in touch with my daughter and grandkids (I can't make long distance calls but can take them, and they do call now and then), and I am able to chat with several of my cousins with whom I had kind of lost touch. We do have to be careful on there though because there are a lot of nuts out there, as well as a lot of kids who apparently have nothing better to do all day than stir things up at FB and other sites.

:)Barbara

Barbara, I love Facebook too! I keep in touch with my whole dysfunctional extended family thru Facebook, it has made us a little more functional. ;). I also keep in touch with my (totally functional). Lol! daughter. I love getting up to date pics of my granddaughter! But..... People need to think about what they are saying before they say it, I mean there are just some things I don't care to know! Parents definitely need to monitor their children's use. But the parents need to monitor their children period..... A big problem these days IMO. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Barbara, I love Facebook too! I keep in touch with my whole dysfunctional extended family thru Facebook, it has made us a little more functional. ;). I also keep in touch with my (totally functional). Lol! daughter. I love getting up to date pics of my granddaughter! But..... People need to think about what they are saying before they say it, I mean there are just some things I don't care to know! Parents definitely need to monitor their children's use. But the parents need to monitor their children period..... A big problem these days IMO. ;-)

DING DING DING DING!!! Right on the money Somebunny!

Finally!!!!

Shrek and I purchased a new mattress and platform (with deep drawers) two weeks ago with the understanding it would be delivered and set up last weekend and they would haul our old mattress and boxsprings away. There was a $75 delivery charge.

Things went wonky last weekend, apparently one of the guys didn't follow through and we didn't make the delivery list. Okay, no problem, stuff happens. I don't know why it didn't happen during the week.

Shrek had to call yesterday and find out what time today it would be delivered. Once again, we had been left off the list for today, Shrek got a little verbal about it and we were added to the list. Time window from 1-3 PM. We were all set...with them finally showing up at 2:45.

As they were bringing in the last piece of the platform, I told them that it was for a king size bed, not the queen we ordered. The main guy told me I was mistaken, "they always look smaller in the showroom." I disagreed and once again told him it was the wrong size and mentioned it to the second fella, too. This occured outside, before they got it down the steps.

They went ahead and got it into the living room and around the corner (a hairpin turn) and set it down. I said, "That takes up the whole room, that is for a king bed." "Nope, just wait till we get it put together, it'll be fine."

Long story short, it was for a king, luckily they had not finished getting it all together! The main guy wanted to finish and swap it out later, like on Monday. I told him that was silly. Why finish building it to take it apart in a couple of days and haul it out? Just bring the boxsprings back and put the new mattress on that.

Nope, they hauled the king piece out and told us they'd be back with the queen. They'd give us a call before they got back. Three 1/2 hours later, they still hadn't called...we hadn't eaten and it was getting late. Shrek called the store and they told him the guys had picked up the piece three hours before. Right about then the truck pulled up and I had to herd cats into the office again. (They usually want in there, this time I had to force them. CATS!)

It got done. After lending them a saw to make the slats the right length and chasing them down to give them their drill back.

A nice new memory foam mattress and a platform with lots of drawers to put t-shirts in!

I love Facebook and probably spend way too much time there, but I do agree that it is not necessarily a good thing. Too many people seem not to realize that everything they put out there is there for good. They say things they would never say to someone in person. Some people are hurting their chances for good jobs, etc. in the future because of their lack of discretion now.

FB is one of the main ways I have of keeping in touch with my daughter and grandkids (I can't make long distance calls but can take them, and they do call now and then), and I am able to chat with several of my cousins with whom I had kind of lost touch. We do have to be careful on there though because there are a lot of nuts out there, as well as a lot of kids who apparently have nothing better to do all day than stir things up at FB and other sites.

Do you have a headset for your computer? You can make free calls to anywhere in the US and Canada for free with Google. You could get a Skype account and talk on that for free, even with video. I think the google thingee has video too.

DING DING DING DING!!! Right on the money Somebunny!
Yep, I agree!

Do you have a headset for your computer? You can make free calls to anywhere in the US and Canada for free with Google. You could get a Skype account and talk on that for free, even with video. I think the google thingee has video too.
I don't have a headset, but I talk to James when he is away during the week, and sometimes Nancy, through Yahoo. Sometimes we use the webcams and sometimes we don't--depends on what else we are doing at the time. It is nice to be able to hear their voices, and as you said, it is free. :cool:

I'm sorry the bed was such a hassle Princess Fee, but I'm glad you finally have it all straightened out! I hate the lengths some people will go to just to avoid looking like they made a mistake!

I'm sorry the bed was such a hassle Princess Fee, but I'm glad you finally have it all straightened out! I hate the lengths some people will go to just to avoid looking like they made a mistake!

What's funny is, it wasn't even his mistake, it was the mistake of the guy who placed the order. A King size was ordered, but not by us. A miss-key or whatever. Shrek was livid over the entire thing, I was just tired, hungry and wanted it over with.

What a hassle! For me right now it is THANK HEAVEN FEBRUARY IS OVER!!! I know part of it may be self-fulfilling prophecy, but anything that ever happens that is bad in our almost 30 years of marriage, happens in February. I used to blame it on the weather causing depression, but in fact, when we lived in Hawaii and when we lived in Florida, still bad things happened to us in February. This year it was the heat. THE HEAT. It went out when it was 17 degrees (that's the high of the days, and I might add, not with wind chill). This was after having a preventive maintenance visit, losing heat, having a *&^%^&^% replaced, then more service. I stayed up all night last Sunday running the washing machine, boiling water on the stove, running the self-clean cycle of the stove, and every half-hour running hot water in the shower to keep the back end of the house warm. They showed on Monday (when I asked them to, I knew I could keep the house warm enough not to have to pay for a weekend, middle of the night, emergency call) and replaced the *&@!$$^&* and we're warm, hopefully for the rest of the year. I swear, if February had 31 days, I would not be alive today; I'd have committed suicide decades ago!

What a hassle! For me right now it is THANK HEAVEN FEBRUARY IS OVER!!! I know part of it may be self-fulfilling prophecy, but anything that ever happens that is bad in our almost 30 years of marriage, happens in February. I used to blame it on the weather causing depression, but in fact, when we lived in Hawaii and when we lived in Florida, still bad things happened to us in February. This year it was the heat. THE HEAT. It went out when it was 17 degrees (that's the high of the days, and I might add, not with wind chill). This was after having a preventive maintenance visit, losing heat, having a *&^%^&^% replaced, then more service. I stayed up all night last Sunday running the washing machine, boiling water on the stove, running the self-clean cycle of the stove, and every half-hour running hot water in the shower to keep the back end of the house warm. They showed on Monday (when I asked them to, I knew I could keep the house warm enough not to have to pay for a weekend, middle of the night, emergency call) and replaced the *&@!$$^&* and we're warm, hopefully for the rest of the year. I swear, if February had 31 days, I would not be alive today; I'd have committed suicide decades ago!

I hate heating problems, they blow up everything else out of proportion! And they are expensive, always. Glad it's over for you!

Claire,

Shouldn't the company that did preventive maintenance have come for free on the weekend? That would be fair. It was them that didn't discover the problem or didn't fix it.

Glad you have your heat back

some of you may remember me mentioning "the house guest from hell" well, went to get cheese for my burger and found she had eaten an entire package of provolone slices. the day she left went into pantry for something. discovered she had eaten an entire box of pop tarts. put empty box in pantry. an entire box of the little bags of 100 calorie cookies. i swear i fed her. she did all this while i was sleeping, i guess. no manners at all. she had come hoping i could help with a crisis she was in. gave advice because i was asked, guess she didn't like it cause she didn't do any of it. involves a son in trouble with the law and non payment of rent.

she called me a week ago today and asked again. i told her to do this and that and call me with the outcome. she didn't, i called sheriff in her county and did a well check. she was out dancing. it involved her son that is violent. and i was worried. called me finally and eleven thirty and woke me up. i thought about it for a few days and then told her not to call me again in this life or any other. i counted up the calls and she had called me 24 times in three days. i don't need the stress or blood pressure rise. i have know her for 25 years and she has always been a flake. i think she is a sociopath. i feel petty but felt i needed to get rid of a big source of stress.

some of you may remember me mentioning "the house guest from hell" well, went to get cheese for my burger and found she had eaten an entire package of provolone slices. the day she left went into pantry for something. discovered she had eaten an entire box of pop tarts. put empty box in pantry. an entire box of the little bags of 100 calorie cookies. i swear i fed her. she did all this while i was sleeping, i guess. no manners at all. she had come hoping i could help with a crisis she was in. gave advice because i was asked, guess she didn't like it cause she didn't do any of it. involves a son in trouble with the law and non payment of rent.

she called me a week ago today and asked again. i told her to do this and that and call me with the outcome. she didn't, i called sheriff in her county and did a well check. she was out dancing. it involved her son that is violent. and i was worried. called me finally and eleven thirty and woke me up. i thought about it for a few days and then told her not to call me again in this life or any other. i counted up the calls and she had called me 24 times in three days. i don't need the stress or blood pressure rise. i have know her for 25 years and she has always been a flake. i think she is a sociopath. i feel petty but felt i needed to get rid of a big source of stress.

Just think of it as a kind of 'spring cleaning' in the closet of life, which really is too short to ________ (here you can fill in the blank). ;)

I have a neighbor who used to use me as her place to take an "emotional dump". After the last incident which lasted about 5 hours, I woke up the next morning upset that again she had done this to me, getting me all upset about the "fact" that her boyfriend was sponging off of her (I doubt it now).

She came by again the next day and I told her off. I told her that I was not going to let her treat me that way. I'd given her the same advice, never taken, many times before.

I had realized that she used her visit with me to make him angry and the things she told me were quite probably not really true. I said she was welcome to visit, but that she had 5 minutes to talk about him then either we could go on to have a nice visit, or she could go home.

Through all this she was grinning! She was getting attention.

Don't let people like this keep using you. It drains and upsets you. Your emotional health is more important.

I'm proud of you for telling her off. People like this will suck you dry as long as you let them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom