Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I see this as the epitome of gall. DH and I are flying out East for a niece's (second) wedding, and it ain't cheap. We come back on a Sunday. The SIL just sent DH an email stating she was planning a surprise birthday party lunch on Sunday for DH's brother and requested we stay another day longer, as it would be the first time the brothers would all be together in awhile. My take on it is she should have told us about the party before we booked the non-refundable plane tickets. Plus, we'll all be together the whole weekend anyway. And our plane leaves Sunday afternoon, and we're staying with them the last two days.

I was so mad I could've spit about the lack of consideration, but I told her that maybe they could move the party to Saturday. The majority of DH's family lives out east, we're the only ones having to fly in.

Wow, what an oblivitron. Your DH works, doesn't he? She expects you to re-book your flight and take an extra day off work on short notice? I think it's just lack of thinking and not actually evil.

Thank you both. I thought so too. And poor Beagle has to stay home with the boarder. I figured we'd all be sick of each other by Sunday anyway! Thankfully, DH agreed to let me handle it, as he was willing to stay the extra day at double the expense.

I'm still mad :mad:

Last edited:
Dawg, just let her know that DH has to be at work and you can't stay the extra day. Let her know that had you prior knowledge, DH would have made arrangements for another employee to swap with him. This may be a small fib, not a lie, and it saves you and DH money, and hurt feelings on the in-laws side. Hopefully all will understand and SIL will learn that not everyone can just drop what they are doing, then respond to her bidding and last minute plans. (That is something that needs not to be said.) Just let DH know what you are going to say so he won't act surprised. Good Luck! :angel:

Thanks Addie. As it's a surprise birthday party, DH's brother apparently miscommunicated the leaving date to SIL, at least according to her. I'm sticking to my guns. We leave when the plane leaves. It was a real pain to get the flight booked in the first place, and I am not going to change it.

I'm still mad, but I feel better now :wub:

Thanks Addie. As it's a surprise birthday party, DH's brother apparently miscommunicated the leaving date to SIL, at least according to her. I'm sticking to my guns. We leave when the plane leaves. It was a real pain to get the flight booked in the first place, and I am not going to change it.

I'm still mad, but I feel better now :wub:

Good for you. It doesn't matter who said what. Just that you and DH (and Beagle) are not taken advantage of and you make that plane. Bring a present so he can know you were thinking of him and am sorry that you couldn't make the party. This is one time a handwritten note with the present would be appreciated. Make sure DH signs it also. :angel:

Good for you. It doesn't matter who said what. Just that you and DH (and Beagle) are not taken advantage of and you make that plane. Bring a present so he can know you were thinking of him and am sorry that you couldn't make the party. This is one time a handwritten note with the present would be appreciated. Make sure DH signs it also. :angel:

Don't get me wrong, DH's brother and SIL are wonderful people, and we always have a great time with them. Their humor is almost as corrupted as mine is. Not quite. But they have done stuff like this several times before, and we have just put up with it. I finally decided we won't be taken advantage of anymore.

Don't get me wrong, DH's brother and SIL are wonderful people, and we always have a great time with them. Their humor is almost as corrupted as mine is. Not quite. But they have done stuff like this several times before, and we have just put up with it. I finally decided we won't be taken advantage of anymore.

Yea! :flowers::clap::clap:
:angel:

the devil is in me tonight, so i'll play his advocate.

how many more days like this will you have, dawg? deal with it this time, but (if you're my wife) make a big freakin' deal of it and make everyone miserable. demand it doesn't happen another time. but do it. money doesn't matter.

wash, rinse, repeat, if your family is anything like mine.

and i'm supposed to be the black sheep!

Last edited:
the devil is in me tonight, so i'll play his advocate.

how many more days like this will you have, dawg? deal with it this time, but (if you're my wife) make a big freakin' deal of it and make everyone miserable. demand it doesn't happen another time.

wash, rinse, repeat, if your family is anything like mine.

Oh, SIL got a scathing, but very polite, email from me. I just told DH that we will no longer take their crap, and for once, he agreed.

i edited a bit before you responded.

you should still stay, though. pride and money don't matter. family does, for this LAST time.

you can always tell her that she wasn't good enough for your family and that this crap ain't gonna fly anymore.

3 snaps up, and that head wiggle thing.

Ride now I hade Hidself. He gabe me hid code. *sniff-cough*

Seriously, I woke up with a scratchy throat, my face has felt flushed most of the day, and I fell asleep sitting up while watching TV. It looks like this year's garage sale organizing will end up being next spring's sale. I know my body's schedule, and the way I feel today means I'll have a full-blown cold by Friday. Timing couldn't have been worse.

Dawg, if I were you I'd be tempted to strangle your SIL. I trust you have more self-control. ;)

Seriously, I woke up with a scratchy throat, my face has felt flushed most of the day, and I fell asleep sitting up while watching TV. It looks like this year's garage sale organizing will end up being next spring's sale. I know my body's schedule, and the way I feel today means I'll have a full-blown cold by Friday. Timing couldn't have been worse.

Dawg, if I were you I'd be tempted to strangle your SIL. I trust you have more self-control. ;)

Sounds like you need a hot toddy and some serious bed rest. :angel:

I'm dealing with a head cold, too! Miserable.:wacko:

Sounds like you need a hot toddy and some serious bed rest. :angel:
The hot toddy sounds like tonight's "dessert" suggestion. ;) And bed rest? I get bored that way. I just keep moving and hope I outrun the cold sooner rather than later.

PF, guess we're just a couple of snot-nosed brats. Runny nose=worst part of cold.

The hot toddy sounds like tonight's "dessert" suggestion. ;) And bed rest? I get bored that way. I just keep moving and hope I outrun the cold sooner rather than later.

PF, guess we're just a couple of snot-nosed brats. Runny nose=worst part of cold.

Oh how true. I have had a health problem that I was born with. If I am in an area where the temp goes to 69ºF. my nose runs and runs and runs. 70ºF. I am fine. Every month I buy four large boxes of Puff Plus and go through them as if they were a filet mignon. Excuse me, I have to go wipe my nose. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom