Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning I stopped at the local Walmart.....B][/I] :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I hate Walmart. Any normal store employee would have helped you at the other register. Walmart, seems to have a policy of hiring rude and unhelpful people.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I never have these problems in Walmart. Anytime I have asked a stocker in the grocery dept where something is they didn't tell me, they took me to the item. Since we are retired we are usually there during the day, on a weekday. I have noticed that on weekends there are no stockers working in the grocery department. We also always use a self-checkout if the store has them. We did see one that didn't accept cash but there was a big sign there that said that. I can't remember the last time I had a rude clerk in any store. Sometimes they are grumpy, especially when it's a beautiful day out and they have to work. Maybe I just have low expectations.

My mother was in Walmart the other day waiting for someone to assist her and one of the employees yells "it's that old lady with the gray hair that needs help" she gave her a piece of her mind. It seems like friendly, well trained Walmart employees are few and far between.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

One of my favorite students had a behavior disability, and received special services for it. I was shocked to see him working at Walmart as a checker after he graduated. He looked very angry and was muttering to himself the whole time while he worked the cash register. His mother got him the job, and he didn't last long.

I needed help loading some heavy stuff one time. They send this guy to help me, all the time he was helping me, he was swearing. Ok, maybe he thought that I am a man and suppose to be able to handle it. And yeah maybe I can, but why should I?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Sadly, Walmart doesn't pay well, and probably doesn't attract really good help. I don't think any Walmart employee has ever helped me load anything, though the old gals at the checkout are really nice. If I was going for an entry level job, I'd look at Costco.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Costco as an employer. Also, you could be free sample lady.

Yeah, I'd be really good at that Andy. "Get your hand out of there!" "Wait until I'm done!" "You already had five!" "No soup for you!"

Last edited:
Dawg, you would not last at Buehler's. :LOL: We had to be polite, and tactful when chasing away the gray-hairs that trolled the sample carts. ;) It was a great, fun job to have, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Dawg, you would not last at Buehler's. :LOL: We had to be polite, and tactful when chasing away the gray-hairs that trolled the sample carts. ;) It was a great, fun job to have, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

OMG! That's me you just described. I can get a whole meal at Costco on the weekends.

Because I shop for the "exotic" ingredients once a week, I have developed a strategy. I have a list for each location. I go to the customer service desk (if it is a LARGE store), or to a cashier (hopefully one who speaks English), greet the person by name, tell the person that I shop for a "catering company" and have a few items I need. Perhaps you could tell me in which aisles I will find these items? I jot down the aisle,I then thank the person by name. When I'm done, I try to return to the same checkout person, mention that yes, Mary, I found everything, thanks again. I have had exceptional service using this approach. I needed 92 individually wrapped chicken breasts and 22.5 kg of "meat counter" sliced bacon that had 14 slices per lb. He weighed out three different kinds of bacon so we could figure out which one was the one that would work for the recipe (supplier supplied loved bacon, but it wasn't sliced thinly enough to wrap around the chicken pieces--chicken breasts were smaller so could not be cut in two...it was one of those days when I had wished the proteins had been delivered when one of us was there to open the boxes). So there I was on a Saturday afternoon having to buy enough chicken for the next day's order and replace all the bacon. The man was so nice. Of course, I told him the story of why I needed so much chicken (and bacon). I asked if they had a "food industry" price. He said no, but he could give me everything for 50% off. Bonus! At the checkout, the gal at the customer service counter came over, offered to help me get the stuff to the car. I was really impressed.

At my Market Basket, they have stockers around the clock. They are that busy. Drive by there at 11 at night, and the lights are on. It doesn't matter what time of day you go there, there are pallets in the aisles. But if what I want is on the pallet and not the shelf, an employee will gladly get the box from the pallet or go in the back room for it. The store is so clean.

I can't praise the employees enough. They are so well trained to help the customer. And they are never grouchy about it. I can't say enough good things about this store.

Of course the one I go to in Chelsea is their Flagship Store. When they started to rebuild the name, it started in Chelsea. The old store, you had to wait outside for a cart on weekends because the store was so small and had reached the capacity allowed by the fire departments. You could fit the old store into the new one.

The employees get bonuses every year. Not may grocery stores offer that to their employees. I swear, if Arthur T. (the owner) were to walk in the store, the employees would go down on one knee and kiss his ring. He is that loved. :angel:

I have a not very well organized, tiny rock garden just outside my fence. The lawn care guys used the whipper snipper on it. All the violets are gone. :( :mad:

What were they thinking?

The problem is, they weren't. :glare:
Yeah, really
And you PAY these guys?
The condo association pays them. They are still the best company we have had. They do a nice job keeping the lawns mowed without cutting them too short. They do a great job of snow removal. They get there really quickly when it starts snowing. Then they come back as needed.

Yeah, really

The condo association pays them. They are still the best company we have had. They do a nice job keeping the lawns mowed without cutting them too short. They do a great job of snow removal. They get there really quickly when it starts snowing. Then they come back as needed.

Ok, we forgive them, this time! Were the flowers planted somewhere they weren't supposed to be? I know at the cemetery you are allowed to plan in certain places and if you take too much room they just mow it down when they cut the grass.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom