Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once again, Verizon annoys me. How can I blow through 20 Gbs in less than a month when I don't watch videos, don't dare hook up to free Amazon Prime movies for fear of using up my bandwidth, and the only things I use internet for are DC, FB, and emails? We're rural, and Verizon is the most reliable internet service, but they're sending me to the poorhouse! I had to add an additional 10 Gbs for an obscene amount.

Dawg, check your Facebook video settings. By default, when there's a video in your timeline - even if you can't see it yet - Fb starts playing it, usually with no sound, but it eats up bandwidth. You can turn it off in your settings.

Dawg, check your Facebook video settings. By default, when there's a video in your timeline - even if you can't see it yet - Fb starts playing it, usually with no sound, but it eats up bandwidth. You can turn it off in your settings.

I know, it drives me crazy. I have to relearn how to turn it off any time I update my settings.

I still wonder if someone isn't tapping into my bandwidth. Some months there's hardly any used, other times the whole thing is gone after two weeks! Verizon doesn't let you carry over unused bandwidth.

Munky, I would love to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime movies like the city folk do.

Last edited:
I dislike demands for source info and citations, if you think information is bad you should look for the information yourself. Confrontations are discouraged.

Thank you, stepping off my soapbox.

Fortunately, as much as I hate Comcast, I keep hearing horror stories about Verizon Fios. This building is hardwired for cable only. When RCN was laying cable in the hopes of getting the contract for this part of Boston, our former mayor signed a long term contract with Comcast. RCN laid this whole part of Boston with underground cables. Verizon has chosen to go the telephone pole route with their special fiber optic cables. They started to do the work and stopped instantly when they heard that Comcast had the contract. So this section of Boston will never know Verizon Fios. For any service that provides fiber optic service for any purpose.

Spike and Pirate were talking earlier tonight about how bad Verizon is. :angel:

Mine used to be unlimited, then I ordered a defective MiFi from Verizon, and sent it back. Verizon is no longer unlimited.

Last edited:
Oh boy am I glad that our internet plan is for unlimited.

Me too! One monthly flat fee for Internet. And then one for cable TV. I know exactly what my bill will be every month. Both are unlimited. The only additional costs would be on the cable end. For movies to purchase and other special shows. I am patient. Sooner or later every movie shows up on the small screen free. :angel:

We just had a 66 year old lady raped and murdered by a 19 year old in our town. He said that "he didn't have any thing better to do and she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time". This happened early in the morning when she was jogging before going to work. This is beyond horrible. I just don't know what else to say.

We just had a 66 year old lady raped and murdered by a 19 year old in our town. He said that "he didn't have any thing better to do and she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time". This happened early in the morning when she was jogging before going to work. This is beyond horrible. I just don't know what else to say.

I sympathize, JoAnn. It's very upsetting when something so senseless happens.

Just awful, JoAnn. What is wrong with some people these day? That vicious murder by you. A 62 year old woman in Manchester, NH was shot randomly while out on her evening walk. The punk in Charleston shooting so many people praying in church, the crazed ex-employee of the TV station killing two former co-workers on live TV. The world has gone completely nuts. I could go on, but enough. ENOUGH! So very sad...

"Don't go out after Dark". Reviews..."A movie that will scare you" (made up).

You should be able to wander around after midnight...but these days, I dunno if you should.

Last edited:
Why don't advertisers give us over, let's say over 50, commercials about our skin? I'm so sick of 20 something's saying "do you miss your soft, wrinkle free skin?" Are u kidding? I didn't have fine lines until 50! Now, I could use information on products for us classic women.

Why don't advertisers give us over, let's say over 50, commercials about our skin? I'm so sick of 20 something's saying "do you miss your soft, wrinkle free skin?" Are u kidding? I didn't have fine lines until 50! Now, I could use information on products for us classic women.
Do you mean those commercials for anti-aging creams where the models are far too young?

Oh lordy, have our lives become so petty that we consider jingles and coupons something to VENT about? Hardly on the same level as the shameful murders that have happened or the royal shrew jobs that k-girl (ungrateful sister) and Nickee (last minute catering cancellation), and GG (pie check-in lady also had an entry) just had done to them. But jingles? And coupons? Come ON! Like taxlady mentioned a page or two ago, these things are more suited for the PETTY VENTS thread. And lighten up - life is too short. ;)

I'm about to hit the big 60 and still have no fine lines. but like that country song says, I just don't look good naked anymore.:LOL: I'm afraid my superman days are long gone. Still got spunk and the ability to do most of what I want to do. But that 70# compound bow, with the 20% letoff, well I don't shoot it anymore. Handed it down to my oldest boy. And walking the fishing streams in the U.P. is a challenge for a 20 year old, but I'm still doing it, albeit slower than I used to. And I think it would hurt more driving off of a thirty foot cliff on a dirt bike than it did. And I definitely don't want to step off of a two story roof again. Those things didn't give me any problems in my early forties, but I'm pretty sure they would hurt now.

So my petty gripe is that our older bodies may still look wrinkle free (at least mine is) But it sure doesn't act wrinkle free.

Oops, I mistook this thread for the petty gripes thread. Had to edit this to say, sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Sorry, CG, if this wasn't appropriate to vent about. I don't think it was petty, just an observation that older citizens are overlooked by so many. FYI, went back and re read the original intro to this thread by Alix and it said "let's keep this to petty stuff."

Last edited:
Grrrr. My in-fridge icemaker is not working. I've done the usual stuff, pulling it out, jamming it back in, jostling, poking, pleading and begging. I've flipped the on/off switch and let it sit for awhile.

Next I may have to do some electrical work, it's been awhile. I am not happy with my lukewarm, iceless screwdriver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom