Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More than a dozen years ago, MA made CO detectors mandatory. I went out and bought three, one for each level of the home.

They are set up so that, after 10 years in place, a beeping starts that cannot be stopped. It appears the useful life is 10 years and you HAVE TO replace the devices.

Interesting. So...even hard wired smoke detectors have a lifespan. They should make it talk when they're done. "Replace me" "Replace me."

Interesting. So...even hard wired smoke detectors have a lifespan. They should make it talk when they're done. "Replace me" "Replace me."

They do talk to you. And they won't shut up until you replace them. No matter how many times you change the battery. Or even press the reset button. They will do that for about five days, then constantly. No shutting them up then. Do you have a record of when you installed yours?

My smoke detectors are hard wired and only beep when there's smoke.

My CO detectors are battery operated and chirp.

If a wired smoke detector beeps to remind you the back up battery needs replacing, what does the smoke detector do when the unit itself needs replacing? Beep some more? :ermm:

If a wired smoke detector beeps to remind you the back up battery needs replacing, what does the smoke detector do when the unit itself needs replacing? Beep some more? :ermm:

No. It talks to you. Replace! Replace your unit. Over and over and over. Until you disconnect it and put up a new one. At least ours do talk. I guess most of them just keep beeping.

We have folks who love to cook with smoke. Or so it seems. Usually the detector in the apartment goes off. And if the smoke gets out into the hall, it sets off the hideous main alarm that hurts everyone's ears. If it is a false alarm as it usually is, there is a $300 fine for any false ones after the first three. That doesn't make management happy.

One tenant started to cook supper for her and her mother. Then they decided to go out and eat instead. Forgot what was cooking in the oven. That disaster turned to flames in the oven and smoke throughout the whole building. So much fun living here.

No. It talks to you. Replace! Replace your unit. Over and over and over. Until you disconnect it and put up a new one. At least ours do talk. I guess most of them just keep beeping.

I suppose if you replace the back up battery correctly, the unit will last forever?
I've not Googled the life expectancy of wired smoke detectors. Smoke detectors have some kind of radioactive element in them. Maybe they last decades, if powered.

Last edited:
I suppose if you replace the back up battery correctly, the unit will last forever?
I've not Googled the life expectancy of wired smoke detectors. Smoke detectors have some kind of radioactive element in them. Maybe they last decades, if powered.

I forget which is which, but one is good for ten years and the other for five. And even if they are hard wired, when the time is up, it will beep constantly. Even if you insert the batteries correctly. They are not designed to last forever. There is no profit for the makers in that idea.

They will beep constantly. If you are hard of hearing or completely deaf, they have a light bulb attached to it and it will blink constantly and beep. In most households, not every member of the family is deaf. So both are covered.

I have white hair (started going that way when I was in my 40s) and often need to use a walking stick (result of too many horse-related falls). Can someone explain to me exactly why these two things indicate that my brain has turned to jelly? Ok, so I'm 68 but I "have all my chairs at home" (an old Lancashire expression for being in charge of my mental faculties).

I've recently had to use my stick quite a lot. Shop assistants and other similar people have started calling me "Dear" and "Sweetheart" and offering to help me chose the right goods on the shelves (not reach them down - actually choose the one they think I should have).

Do you get a 1980s UK sit. com. called "Waiting For God"? About a couple of elderly people who create havoc in a care home? Well, the character "Diana Trent" is my heroine and role model. I'm considering buying a cattle prod to take with me when I go out!!!!

Mad Cook, I'm a year younger than you and waiting for my hair to go all white so I can dye it pink or blue or purple without having to bleach it. Just a thought.

I have white hair (started going that way when I was in my 40s) and often need to use a walking stick (result of too many horse-related falls). Can someone explain to me exactly why these two things indicate that my brain has turned to jelly? Ok, so I'm 68 but I "have all my chairs at home" (an old Lancashire expression for being in charge of my mental faculties).

I've recently had to use my stick quite a lot. Shop assistants and other similar people have started calling me "Dear" and "Sweetheart" and offering to help me chose the right goods on the shelves (not reach them down - actually choose the one they think I should have).

Do you get a 1980s UK sit. com. called "Waiting For God"? About a couple of elderly people who create havoc in a care home? Well, the character "Diana Trent" is my heroine and role model. I'm considering buying a cattle prod to take with me when I go out!!!!

Yes, we used to. I never missed an episode. We had a show called "The odd Couple." Oscar was the slob. He was the hero to my three sons.

Mad Cook, love the 'dry' British humour of their sit-coms.... think I mentioned this before, have nicknamed (but not to her face) one sister Hyacinth, another sister is Violet on the hill, and I'm either Rose or Daisy - depending on my mood. Waiting for God, Are you being Served, a couple of others I can't think of right at the moment.

and yes,... go for the cattle prod! LOL.

I too, am often in need of walking with a cane. Mostly due to arthritis in my feet (toes) all having been broken by being stepped on by the horses. I hear you loud and clear!

...Do you get a 1980s UK sit. com. called "Waiting For God"? About a couple of elderly people who create havoc in a care home? Well, the character "Diana Trent" is my heroine and role model. I'm considering buying a cattle prod to take with me when I go out!!!!
I suggest you use a riding crop. Obviously you don't need one for a very well-behaved Horse, but it would be useful on those clerks and such. Very appropriate, too, since your cane is needed for riding related falls. ;)

I had not heard of "Waiting for God", so I looked it up. Sounds like a fun sit-com, so I ordered up the DVD for the first season from the library. This also reminded me that we watched a year of "Rosemary and Thyme", but never went back for the rest of the series - another two years. I think we'll be reacquainting ourselves with Rosemary and Laura after we've watched "Waiting for God". Thanks for the suggestion and the memory jog.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom