Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our landlord just installed new alarms.. The batteries are good for 10 years... Saves me from changing them yearly plus, he pays for them.. The units cost $150 each but, he says that they are well worth it as, they are tied into his phone and he is alerted if/when one goes off..
Ross

The law in this state requires only hardwire alarms. None that can be removed and take with you. And they have to have AA batteries in case the power is lost. The landlord is responsible for checking it once a year and that the tenant has not removed the batteries because they need them for personal use. Less and less you hear of anyone being killed in a fire due to no alarm in the apartments or houses. And the law covers privately owned homes also.

When I lived in Everett, the landlord put a hardwire in each of the three apartments and in the front and back hallway on the first floor in case of a cellar fire. The girl on the first floor lit the BBQ grill outside in the yard, but right next to the open back door. She completely forgot about it and the back hall fill with smoke. Set off all the alarms in the building. I suggested of taking classes in finances, she enroll in culinary school. The fireman started to laugh and agreed with me.

Addie, we live in "this state", have approved detectors, and ours take 9 Volt batteries. We've never bothered to look for the circuit breaker because if one starts chirping Himself can unplug it from its electrical source. We have to have working smoke detectors in all the proper places when we go to list our house, and if they aren't there when we vacate we'd be in trouble. And if you watched the news, you would know people are still dying in house/apartment fires...unless good neighbors pound on doors to alert people or risk their lives to rush in and save them before the firemen arrive.

Unfortunately there are folks who will take the battery out when they don't feel like making a run to the store. And there are landlords who still haven't put in a hardwire detector. They need to be reported by their tenants. And they can't be evicted for six months for putting in a complaint. The landlord cannot take any action against a tenant for reporting something to the authorities.

Scared the milk will add to many carbs to it, but I WILL try the chocolate powder the next time I eat it.
You could get plain yogurt and add your own flavorings. I do that and add vanilla extract, honey, Penzeys Pie Spice and some nuts. You can also add fresh fruit or jam. Yogurt and milk both have lots of protein, which slows down absorption of the carbs.

Cj, there are good carbs and bad carbs. I found a good article that briefly explains the differences: http://ejgh.org/component/content/article?id=512:good-carb-bad-carb-the-truth-about-carbohydrates

Also, what GG said about buying plain yogurt. I buy plain Greek yogurt by the 1 quart or 1 kilo, then add cut up fresh fruit, or walnuts and honey to that serving. So much tastier than the pre-mixed stuff. Watch the serving size, though. While the quart or kilo says approximately 4 serving, you can easily get 6 or 7 servings equivalent to the single serving cups.

Cj, there are good carbs and bad carbs. I found a good article that briefly explains the differences: EJGH

Also, what GG said about buying plain yogurt. I buy plain Greek yogurt by the 1 quart or 1 kilo, then add cut up fresh fruit, or walnuts and honey to that serving. So much tastier than the pre-mixed stuff. Watch the serving size, though. While the quart or kilo says approximately 4 serving, you can easily get 6 or 7 servings equivalent to the single serving cups.

Thanks for sharing

For some odd reason, my state has decided to legalize and sell fireworks locally. Used to be you got to see pros who know what they're doing shoot off lovely displays from barges on the river. Now anyone can buy them. What a great idea! Not. The first known casualty was a teen who was taken to the ER after blowing his hand off, they weren't able to reattach it. I expect to hear of more injuries coming soon, along with burned roofs and property. :mad:

Awright Dawg! glad to see they took my advice....

img_1515278_0_3a9adb6e8b38e8a43dc1cb963a40f089.jpeg

Dawg, is your comment in reference to fireworks, or removing labels? As far as vets and dogs, I think anyone who has issues with loud, sudden noises should be able to get a sign from their town/city hall to put in their yard identifying them as having PTSD and asking for a little kindness. I know if Himself had issues with fireworks I would have strangled the neighbor who always puts on a show every 4th of July...and Memorial Day...and Labor Day...and Father's Day...:(

Meanwhile, people with skittish dogs just need to do what works for them. See my neighbor comment above. ;)

The guys buying fireworks, I wouldn't trust with a Bic lighter. And now the season extends from the end of June to mid January.

The best neighbours are the ones who come/send around, about a week before and tell you that they are going to have a BIG (stick in the word "very noisy") party on such'n such a date and that you are more than welcome to come and join them... and even better are the ones who say the party will be ending at a specific time.

But I agree, too many fireworks, nope... have some discretion/appreciation/empathy for those who do not like/want fireworks!

On the other hand, if you know of a situation like that - become involved - or involve some authority to help! Perhaps they could pay for a ticket for them to go somewhere if they absolutely must celebrate.

At the same time perhaps lobby or push for your local bylaws to limit such celebrations to once/twice a year.... and be sure to specify that it is within a certain area.

My neighbors I can talk to, they're not the culprits. It's the townies who will have the problems. Sure hope no-one gets hurt, loses their dogs, or won't be able to get their babies back to sleep!

Ditto that, Dawg.

Heh, dragn, private fireworks are against the law in MA. Didn't stop our neighbor. He is a jerk, and his wife is a witch. And no one we would party with. We got into the habit of going somewhere on any day we thought could be a problem. He hasn't done much with the fireworks lately - he hasn't bought/shot off much ever since the cops came and took away about $200 of them...and he still had more in the house. :ermm:

I have to admit, since he was hauled off to jail in handcuffs about a year and a half ago, and then couldn't move back home for months (I'm guessing he had to go through some sort of husband re-edumacation training...), things have been better next door.

California being a tinder dry state in the summer allows only the most "Safe and Sane" fireworks. They are boring. On the other hand, local professionally done 4th of July fireworks makes up for that. A lot of people get injured annually trying to accomplish such a show.

I used to live on the east coast USA where you can still buy 4th of July fireworks that are more risky than California's Safe and Sane fireworks. I still have all my appendages.

Last edited:
I lost a friend due to malfunction incorrectly packaged Chinese fire work. They found out after that the people injured was using the same fire works from the same company, they tested the left over "cakes" and found out fuse problems and also much more gunpowder then allowed. Some had twice the charge on what was said on the box.

We have now stricter rules fire works, but that wont give my friend his head back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom