Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have this problem. I guess you should try a different brand. I've used Pam but currently I use BJ's Wholesale house brand of cooking spray. I wonder if you're using the kind with flour? I would think that might be more prone to clogging.

You know, I joined this forum long ago, after a similar forum from FooNetwork was closing. I believe it was BuckyTom who introduceed me to DiscussCooking.. I saw a good number of great people come and go. I left for a while, but came back, and for the most part, have enjoyed interacting with everyone.

My petty gripe is this: Sometimes I feel irrelevant here, like I'm just a ghost flitting through that no one can see. Now I know thatg some of my posts can be long, as I try to explain things, and give solid information in detail. Sometimes, I just get wordy, hence BuckyTom's name for me, Chief Longwind. (By the way, I miss seeing Buck all over the threads) But I really do try to share information that is valuable to others, information that can expand their culinary universe, either through cooking, the tools and techniques of cooking, or introducing new foods and ideas with everyone. There are some on this site that are extraordinary cooks, who have an availability of ingredients, tools, techniques, and knowledge of their own so as to make them virtually experts (I son't name any names here as I don't want to leave any deserving person out of that group, right Andy?).

A couple weeks back, or maybe a week back, I began a post about cheese. I put a good deal of effort into it, hoping to give new knowledge and ideas to those less experienced with cheese. I know that I am not the be-alll, end-all of cheese knowledge. But I was hoping to get a response, and see how others would expand on that thread. Know one has even looked at it.

i don't know why this is a gripe for me, but for some reason, it is, at least for right now. I guess I just don't want to be taken for granted. Life is a challenge right now, and DC is part of what keeps my spirits up, and keeps me going. I love to share what I know, and learn new things, and just hash around ideas.

Sometimes, trivial threads that have nothing to do with cooking show views in the thousands, while other threads that are serious cooking related topics get now views at all. I try to respond to cooking threads where I can be of help to someone. I may not always get things right, but when I don't, I learn something that improves my own skills.

So that's it; that's my petty gripe. And now I'm going to quit whining and find a thread where I can help someone, or learn something new.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, that happens from time to time. Others aren't always ready for the information you offer. Maybe they missed it. Who knows.

The important thing to keep in mind is that your information is there forever and someone you never met will come along one day, read it and remember it.

Hang in there, you're a valuable member of this community.

I agree with Andy, especially this, "Hang in there, you're a valuable member of this community."

I, for one, am not as attentive as I used to be or should be.. I don't cook as I used to and I don't respond as I once did..

That does not mean that I don't read and enjoy other's adventures and advice..

I enjoy your offerings, Chief, and I do hope that you don't become discouraged.. I also miss BT and other's who have left us for whatever reason..

Ross

Dear Chief

'My petty gripe is this: Sometimes I feel irrelevant here, like I'm just a ghost flitting through that no one can see."

Believe me, I know how you feel!!!! But this is not about me now. I just want you to know that someone else loves cheese also (DH) and appreciates your post AND all of your other posts.

Chief, that particular thread about cheese seemed so inclusive that it didn't seem like there was much to add.

Oh, there's so much more that I didn't touch from the cheee world. There are all of the wash-rind cheeses, and the creamy-ripened cheeses, and the Spanish cheeses. I only touched the many different Italian and French cheeses. Andall cheeses from Sout of the U.S brder, I didn't get into them aYou helped. I feel a bit better now.t all either. So,, what shall we explore next, the wide world of sausagees?:)

Oh, and thanks everyone.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Dear Chief

'My petty gripe is this: Sometimes I feel irrelevant here, like I'm just a ghost flitting through that no one can see."

Believe me, I know how you feel!!!! But this is not about me now. I just want you to know that someone else loves cheese also (DH) and appreciates your post AND all of your other posts.

See what I mean? Like I'm not even here.

Cookieee, I saw your post, and when I said thanks to everyone, you were definitely among those I was thinking about.

You' not a ghost to me. The same goes for you, Taxi, and you, andy, and everyone else who helped me feel a bit better.

I went back and re-read my post. I saw a major typo in it that nearly makes it impossible to understamd when I eas tryong to express my thanks. It seems my thumb got too close to the touch-pad and moved the cursor while I was typing. I proofread only part of it
I should have proofed all of it
Sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Oh, there's so much more that I didn't touch from the cheee world. There are all of the wash-rind cheeses, and the creamy-ripened cheeses, and the Spanish cheeses. I only touched the many different Italian and French cheeses. Andall cheeses from Sout of the U.S brder, I didn't get into them aYou helped. I feel a bit better now.t all either. So,, what shall we explore next, the wide world of sausagees?:)

Oh, and thanks everyone.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief I have always thought you were great.
I would love a in dept discussion on sausage,
Different kinds ,where to find, and most of all
making your own.:)
I know how you feel about being ignored. I have
been on this board for 10 years welcoming new poster's
and wishing all the regulars happy birthday. But for the
last two years no one here has said happy birthday to me.
We all need to do a better job. There are a lot of people
here that could use kind word. I have a wonderful Hubby and
family, not every one has. But I care about the people on this
board also.

Josie:flowers:

I'm sorry if you feel left out, Josie. While I had been rather regular with posting birthdays over the years, I now use my phone for most of my activity on Discuss Cooking or Facebook. There is no way I can see the birthday list on either the phone or tablet. I can only hope someone else catches any important birthdays that I miss. If it means anything, there have been a couple of years when no one posted a birthday thread for me - and I was not going to start one for myself! :LOL:

...My petty gripe is this: Sometimes I feel irrelevant here, like I'm just a ghost flitting through that no one can see....A couple weeks back, or maybe a week back, I began a post about cheese...But I was hoping to get a response, and see how others would expand on that thread. Know one has even looked at it....
Chief, don't think that no one has read your thread. I did. In fact, as of right now, the view count for it is 134 people. As taxy said, it seemed so complete there was little any of us could add. I think many of us feel invisible here at DC at times. We all get our chance at being ignored. Don't take it to heart. Figure that we're all digesting the info you share and don't have much to add. Your contributions are certainly appreciated, even if we don't acknowledge them.

Chief, I'm so sorry you feel left out. I read everyone's post and most times yours are so good and comprehensive I can't think of anything else to add. Other times, I have to go do something for Mom and get distracted from what I'm doing on the computer.

PS - I've been to your web site also.

I know lots of times I don't comment on a thread because I feel like certain people could't care less what I think. And there are some threads that I like and appreciate and I like to post them a thank you. Just like what Ross did to Josie. Good going Ross!!!

I sure hate to see what this world will be like when we all completely stop saying PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Just because we are not talking face to face does not mean we can be rude. Just remember your manners that your mother taught you.

Last edited:
[I know lots of times I don't comment on a thread because I feel like certain people could't care less what I think. And there are some threads that I like and appreciate and I like to post them a thank you. Just like what Ross did to Josie. Good going Ross!!!

I sure hate to see what this world will be like when we all completely stop saying PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Just because we are not talking face to face does not mean we can be rude. Just remember your manners that your mother taught you.[/QUOTE]

So true cookiee. :cool:
Josie

[I know lots of times I don't comment on a thread because I feel like certain people could't care less what I think. And there are some threads that I like and appreciate and I like to post them a thank you. Just like what Ross did to Josie. Good going Ross!!!

Just because we are not talking face to face does not mean we can be rude. Just remember your manners that your mother taught you.

So true cookiee. :cool:
Josie[/QUOTE]
Thanks Josie;)

Enjoying the cool weather? Nice for a change.

Is there a birthday alert?.. I never know until someone posts a mention of their or someones day..

Ross

Ross , Click on calendar.

Josie

There is another way to see them. If you click "search", one of the items on the pull down menu is "power users". There is a list of today's birthdays in the right hand column, near the top. There's other interesting stuff too. Also, there's other interesting stuff in the search pull down menu.

There is another way to see them. If you click "search", one of the items on the pull down menu is "power users". There is a list of today's birthdays in the right hand column, near the top. There's other interesting stuff too. Also, there's other interesting stuff in the search pull down menu.
Also, if you're on a computer, go to the home page and scroll all the way to the bottom. There's a list of today's birthdays right there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom